Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Creaking noise when pedaling hard

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-17-21, 12:57 PM
Solo_rider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi

Like the title says, I have this noise that's mostly there only when I'm pedaling hard or riding uphill, otherwise, it won't be heard. I can actually hear it even when I'm stopped -while sitting on the saddle- and push hard on the pedal. It seems pushing hard on either pedal will cause this noise. I'm almost positive it's not the pedals themselves because I already tried lubricating the threads several times. So, what can be causing this noise ? The bike is about 5 years old but it's only used a few months out of the year. And other than the noise everything works perfectly.

Thanks.

BTW, how come when I use the search function the results aren't what I'm looking for ?
Old 06-17-21, 01:00 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
shoot some lube at the BB & test ride it.
Old 06-17-21, 01:39 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Might be spokes or all sorts of things. If you put out enough power, lots of things on your bike will groan and moan beside you.
Old 06-17-21, 03:51 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Check the crankarm bolts for tightness, as well as the chainring bolts.
Old 06-17-21, 07:58 PM
cmon4day

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Seat Post

Check the tightness of your seat clamp. Put some grease on the area where the metal clamp meets the seat rails.
Likes For cmon4day:
Old 06-17-21, 08:54 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Could be:
Bottom bracket in frame
Crank in bottom bracket
Pedals in crank
Pedals themselves
Chainring bolts
Cassette
Q/R skewer/thru axle
Seatpost in frame
Saddle on post
And about a dozen other things
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 06-17-21, 10:36 PM
Solo_rider

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the replies, guys. Appreciate it. Nothing was too lose but I tried to tighten up all the screws and bolts but after I rode my bike the noise was still there. I don't think it's coming from the seat. It's definitely coming from the crank area. I hope it's not the BB. I don't know if I should try to take the cranks off, or maybe take it to the shop. I usually like to fix things myself but looks like this time I won't be able to do that.
Old 06-17-21, 10:44 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
It is probably your knees.
Try taking some fish oil.
Likes For SalsaShark:
Old 06-17-21, 10:47 PM
Rolla

Originally Posted by Solo_rider
Thanks for the replies, guys. Appreciate it. Nothing was too lose but I tried to tighten up all the screws and bolts but after I rode my bike the noise was still there. I don't think it's coming from the seat. It's definitely coming from the crank area. I hope it's not the BB. I don't know if I should try to take the cranks off, or maybe take it to the shop. I usually like to fix things myself but looks like this time I won't be able to do that.
Sometimes disassembling, greasing, and re-assembling can silence noises. But I don't see nay reason to take the crank arms off unless you're going to service the bottom bracket at the same time. How old are the drivetrain parts (BB, chainrings, chain, and rear cogs)? If it's been five years since they've been evaluated/serviced/replaced, it's probably overdue.
Old 06-17-21, 11:18 PM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: Cannondale CAADX (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD12 Team CNCPT, Giant Contend 2

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 106 Posts
What type of BB do you have? I've never had a square taper BB creak but BB30... well, that's another story.

On a different tack, I once cured an annoying but mysterious creak by putting some light oil ("3 in 1 oil") onto the chainring bolts and leaving it lying down in the sunshine. I think the oil got right in there due to the different expansion rates of the alloy chainrings and the steel chainring bolts.

Hope you get this sorted.
Old 06-18-21, 08:40 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Why does the noise bother you so much? You say it only happens when you put a lot of power into the cranks.

If you do nothing, and there is a real problem, it won't cost you any more money to fix it when it shows itself than now while it's hiding.
Old 06-18-21, 09:37 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Wait until the off-season, and regrease or replace BB bearings. My bike with external bearings is doing the same thing, and that's my cue to clean and regrease. If the bikes a keeper, buy the tools you need to remove cranks and BB bearings. Pays off in short order...
Likes For Chuckles1:
Old 06-18-21, 09:42 AM
Rolla

Originally Posted by Iride01
Why does the noise bother you so much? You say it only happens when you put a lot of power into the cranks.

If you do nothing, and there is a real problem, it won't cost you any more money to fix it when it shows itself than now while it's hiding.
Riding a noisy bike sucks. And waiting until a problem gets worse so it's easier to diagnose can absolutely be more expensive to fix. It can also be risky if an ignored problem part decides to fail under a lot of power.
Old 06-18-21, 09:49 AM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 152 Posts
Had a creak that I was certain was coming from the BB, even a riding mate said he could hear it coming from the BB. Before I dug into the BB I shot some silicone spray on the connection between the saddle cover and the seat rails. The creak was gone. It's a quick thing to try before tearing into the bike.
Old 06-18-21, 12:38 PM
blinky

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Tuscany with Ultegra R-8000 components

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
I had a similar issue a few years back and my problem was solved - at the time I was running Campy Chorus and the issue turned out to be the contact under load between the BB bearing and the holding cups - if you have a different BB/crank design it might not help but it's not restricted to Campy and might work if you have a similar setup to Campy , i.e. bearing with cups - the link to my earlier post is below - you have too scroll down a bit to see it .

Creaky Cranks - Bike Forums

Last edited by blinky; 06-19-21 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-18-21, 01:41 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Front QR can be the culprit if not tight enough. Same with brake levers.
Old 06-19-21, 05:04 AM
anthonybkny

Bikes: C'dale Quick 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 7 Posts
Look the frame over for cracks. Better safe than sorry.
Old 06-19-21, 07:39 PM
BobsPoprad

Bikes: Lemond Poprad, Cervelo Soloist, Cannondale F4, RANS Velocity Squared

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 45 Posts
Depending on pedals...try the cleats. My speedplays sometimes make a little noise.
Old 06-20-21, 08:31 PM
Clem von Jones

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Usually this noise is caused by the seatpost moving inside the downtube. No one ever believes it though until they remove the seatpost and apply something like ParkTools Polylube (the green grease, which is okay to use on carbon seatposts btw) to the seatpost and reinstall it. Problem solved.

Last edited by Clem von Jones; 06-20-21 at 08:35 PM.
Old 06-20-21, 09:13 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
Aluminum framed bike?
Old 06-20-21, 09:22 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1,235 Times in 616 Posts
This was my Creak.

Old 06-21-21, 02:13 AM
Solo_rider

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow ! Lots of replies. Thanks again for the replies.

Iride01, some people are very sensitive to noises, especially repetitive ones (I think it's called misophonia). I'm extremely sensitive to repetitive sounds and I become too focused on any noise that I hear that some people might not even pay any attention to. When I'm riding and my bike makes noises I just want to stop riding and go home because I won't enjoy the ride. Today was a perfect day for riding but didn't go because I still haven't sorted out the problem even though the noise isn't too loud. But the other thing, I like to keep my things in good shape, which means I like to fix things when they start showing signs of trouble.

I think this is a square taper BB. I have the tool to remove the cranks but I'm still not 100% sure where the noise is coming from but it does sound like it's coming from that area (chainring/cranks) but can't pinpoint it. Definitely not the seat/post or brake levers. Also, it's actually more like a ticking sound. And yes, it is an aluminum frame bike -with the exception of the fork, I think.

As mentioned, this is a 5 year old bike in like brand new condition and only ridden a few months out of the year. I doubt there's anything wrong with the frame -like cracks.
Old 06-21-21, 02:58 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
A loose rear wheel skewer sounds like it's coming from the bottom bracket when you have a load on it. When I start hearing a creak on a ride I'll pull over and tighten it and the majority of the time that's it. The last time which was a few weeks ago it was the pedal axle threads that just needed to be greased. Just check those and if the sound is still there just look at every part that has metal to metal contact. Many sounds sound like it's in the bottom bracket area when it's not.
Old 06-21-21, 04:29 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by Solo_rider
Wow ! Lots of replies. Thanks again for the replies.
it's actually more like a ticking sound.
Replace your pedal assemblies with a brand new pair.
Old 06-21-21, 08:37 AM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
I just discovered that the annoying sound coming from my BB was actually coming from the rear hub - needed to be pulled out, cleaned up/re-greased. That was after ruling out pedals and replacing overdue-to-be-replaced chain/chainring/BB, and checking anything else that had a bolt. I would have sworn it was coming from the BB--I could feel it through my feet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.