Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help identifying the model of my new Peugeot bicycle

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 08-07-21, 09:07 PM
goncalompls

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts

Hey everyone,
I’m fairly new here but I thought to reach out for help. I recently bought this Peugeot bicycle and I’m having trouble to identify it’s model and if it’s all original or had some work done on it.

Anyone here keen to help me out please? As I’m new might need to PM pictures of the bike.

Cheers
Old 08-07-21, 09:21 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 653 Posts
Mind Readers...

You need to post 10 messages to Bike Forums before you can post any images. That's to prevent scammers.

Someone will jump in to tell you how to post to picture to your membership info so that they can copy and post the images for you until you get to 10.

Good luck...

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 08-07-21 at 09:47 PM.
Old 08-07-21, 09:32 PM
goncalompls

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanks for that verktyg ! Definitely too new to understand how I do that but will wait
Old 08-07-21, 09:58 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked 1,617 Times in 1,038 Posts
It can be hard identifying a Peugeot. You can start by looking in the catalogs.

Peugeot Brochures - USA

Cycles Rétro-Peugeot

https://bikeboompeugeot.com/Brochure...%20Germany.htm
Old 08-08-21, 05:34 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2924 Post(s)
Liked 2,916 Times in 1,488 Posts
Originally Posted by goncalompls
Thanks for that verktyg ! Definitely too new to understand how I do that but will wait
Good Morning. It would help a little if you told about the bike, also where is it?

What color is it?
Does it have an actual head badge or a sticker?
Does it have chrome?
Is there a sticker that says what type of tubing?
do the wheels have nuts to attach them to the frame or quick releases?
wht size are the tires?
Are there brand and or model names on the components?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-08-21, 07:13 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Well, we have a photo but it's poor resolution and taken from from the non-drive side. The OP is also in the UK, complicating identification for most members, who are located in the USA. However, the graphics, in combination with an internally routed rear brake cable and 700C wheels suggest an upper entry level, sports model, circa 1986-1989. The serial number will indicate the exact build date.

It's been substantially modified, with at least new handlebars, a front dual pivot brake caliper and brake/shift levers, though curiously the latter don't appear to have the shift mechanism enabled as there are no shift cables coming from them and the old shift levers are still in place on the down tube.

It look like there may be a model name on the back of the frame's top tube. If not, photos of the tubing decal, rear brake caliper, derailleurs and crankset may help us determine the model.

Old 08-08-21, 10:14 AM
goncalompls

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Hi all!
Bianchigirll few answers around your questions :
- Colour red (what it seems to be tulip red)
- Peugeot Sticker on the front
- No chrome
- HLE tubing
- Wheels quick release
- 700c tires
- Brand on components can only see Campagnolo on the break levers, Miche performance break calipers, Sachs Hurrent gears , Rígida wheels.
- There is a label that says “BS 6102” from Peugeot Cycles. Not sure if helps?

T-Mar on the top tube there’s no model name. Only the 12 vitesses decal. Not sure if works the picture upload but tried to upload a few more.
Old 08-08-21, 10:38 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 472 Times in 301 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Well, we have a photo but it's poor resolution and taken from from the non-drive side. The OP is also in the UK, complicating identification for most members, who are located in the USA. However, the graphics, in combination with an internally routed rear brake cable and 700C wheels suggest an upper entry level, sports model, circa 1986-1989. The serial number will indicate the exact build date.

It's been substantially modified, with at least new handlebars, a front dual pivot brake caliper and brake/shift levers, though curiously the latter don't appear to have the shift mechanism enabled as there are no shift cables coming from them and the old shift levers are still in place on the down tube.

It look like there may be a model name on the back of the frame's top tube. If not, photos of the tubing decal, rear brake caliper, derailleurs and crankset may help us determine the model.
Very similar in appearance to my UO 14 which you would be familiar with T-MAR but I haven't zoomed in to look closely at the OPs image you shared. Did they make the same bike but then just call it something different in other countries? I often see a black bike with the same colour scheme and decals but I think it's labeled a UO 8.

This bike has the chrome fork which is different from OPs bike.

Old 08-08-21, 11:04 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by gthomson
Very similar in appearance to my UO 14 which you would be familiar with T-MAR but I haven't zoomed in to look closely at the OPs image you shared. Did they make the same bike but then just call it something different in other countries? I often see a black bike with the same colour scheme and decals but I think it's labeled a UO 8.

This bike has the chrome fork which is different from OPs bike.

While they are from the same era and roughly the same level, there are two obvious differences. First is the rear brake cable routing. Yours is external, via tunnels on the top of the top tube, while the OP's bicycle appears be internal. Even more important is the frame construction. Yours has lugs while the OP's bicycle appears to use Peugeot's lugless, internal brazing process. I also suspect that if we had a good, drive side photo of the OP"s bicycle, that it would reveal French rather than Japanese derailleurs. So, the differences appear to be a bit more significant than just a model name/number change.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 08-08-21, 11:54 AM
goncalompls

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Not sure if this is visible or not but I uploaded a few more pictures to my album, hope it works.
Did some work on it today to remove the mudguards and polish some of the metals.
Old 08-08-21, 12:19 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by goncalompls
Not sure if this is visible or not but I uploaded a few more pictures to my album, hope it works.
Did some work on it today to remove the mudguards and polish some of the metals.
The additional photos are a big help. The serial number indicates March 1987 manufacture, so it's a 1987 model. The rear caliper is another upgrade. The tubing is Peugeot HLE, the derailleurs are orignal Huret and the crankset appears to be the original Solida 5270. Overall, it's a good match for the 1987, UK market, Peugeot Aspin, also know as the PE10LS.

Link to photo album: https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/22141786

Attached scan courtesy of bikeboompeugeot.com
Old 08-08-21, 12:30 PM
T-Mar

Very similar in appearance to my UO 14 which you would be familiar with T-MAR...
I forgot to mention that your UO14 was probably manufactured in Canada by Procycle's Velosport division while the OP's bicycle is French. If I recall correctly, the Canadian market UO14 of this period also used the relatively rare Reynolds 453 tubeset. I would have edited my previous post to include this information but I see you've already read it.
Old 08-08-21, 12:32 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

You are absolutely correct T-Mar, Velosport from Montreal and is made from Reynolds 453.

OPs bike is similar but definitely not the same as my UO 14. This Peugeot is in fantastic shape if that's the original paint job.
Old 08-08-21, 12:36 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,545 Times in 3,757 Posts
Pic Assist

Old 08-08-21, 12:42 PM
T-Mar

You are absolutely correct T-Mar, Velosport from Montreal and is made from Reynolds 453.

OPs bike is similar but definitely not the same as my UO 14. This Peugeot is in fantastic shape if that's the original paint job.
I can't recall if you ever posted the serial number. If not, I'd appreciate it. If you don't want to post it online, you can provide it via private message. It will remain confidential and be used only for my serial number research. TIA.

Oh, there's an idea for a idea for a new C&V influenced song - Serial Number Confidential. Hmm, I wonder if Carole Pope is interested?
Old 08-08-21, 01:55 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2924 Post(s)
Liked 2,916 Times in 1,488 Posts
Poor bike.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-08-21, 02:40 PM
goncalompls

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
This is amazing thank you very much for all the knowledge shared!
The serial number is the one under the frame correct? If yes then I have uploaded one to the album T-Mar .
Any tips on how to get some of the original parts in the UK to restore this beauty?
Old 08-17-21, 06:39 AM
gthomson

I can't recall if you ever posted the serial number. If not, I'd appreciate it. If you don't want to post it online, you can provide it via private message. It will remain confidential and be used only for my serial number research. TIA.

Oh, there's an idea for a idea for a new C&V influenced song - Serial Number Confidential. Hmm, I wonder if Carole Pope is interested?
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you, I just kept forgetting to check even though I've ridden the bike several times! Just went to check and I can't find one. I checked on the bottom bracket but no number. Could it be somewhere else?

BTW I think you and I are probably the only ones who get the confidential serial number reference ha ha

She's actually touring these days so I might go catch her in concert.
Old 08-17-21, 07:40 AM
T-Mar

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you, I just kept forgetting to check even though I've ridden the bike several times! Just went to check and I can't find one. I checked on the bottom bracket but no number. Could it be somewhere else?
I was expecting it to be on the BB shell. If they were only doing assembly on this model, it might be on the rear droputs. If not there, check the lower seat tube and the head tube.

BTW I think you and I are probably the only ones who get the confidential serial number reference ha haI
I guess we're just Birds of a Feather
She's actually touring these days so I might go catch her in concert.
Wow! She's touring during Covid-19? That would be a Rough Trade to be in at the moment.

Last edited by T-Mar; 08-17-21 at 08:35 AM. Reason: typo
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 08-17-21, 08:31 AM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
Had to chime in - there are a few of us that get the reference; try not to ride in jeans if you know what I mean.
Likes For markk900:
Old 08-17-21, 10:36 AM
gthomson

Wow! She's touring during Covid-19? That would be a Rough Trade to be in at the moment.
LOL let's keep this going, too much fun!

yes T-Mar she is but with proper safety protocols at each venue. All touch, but not contact!
Old 08-17-21, 10:48 AM
T-Mar

LOL let's keep this going, too much fun!...
Well, just so long as you don't resort to a Shakedown or Emotional Blackmail. I don't want things to deteriorate to the level of a Grade B Movie.
Old 12-21-21, 08:07 PM
goncalompls

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanks for all the help on this everyone!