Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Blood pressure after riding

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Blood pressure after riding

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-13, 01:05 AM
MickeyMaguire
Avid Cyclist

Bikes: Diamondback Century Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
You didn't read the posts above or cited studies?
Sorry about that... but, I was on a Blackberry Playbook and the graphics did not load. I might have scrolled past that inadvertantly. I won't dispute it. I'm no doctor. I just know what my doctor told me when we were talking about my dehydration and blood pressure at that time. I am glad that I recovered quickly, though, and I have been riding almost every day.
Old 08-09-13, 01:07 AM
MickeyMaguire
Avid Cyclist

Bikes: Diamondback Century Disc

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
If you are into experimenting, and seeing what affects your BP, there's a monitor (Omron 7) that is extremely convenient, and, according to Consumer Reports, as accurate as any other. It's a wrist BP monitor. Apparently it's more accurate that other wrist monitors because it detects when the monitor is at heart level (by detecting the angle of your forearm).

I just put it in the drawer of my desk, and use it to see how exercising, sunlight, relaxing, or other things affect my BP.

(I sound like a shill, but I have no connection or interest in the company.)
I bought a unit that looks as though Omron made it, but, it is Walgreen branded. We monitor my blood pressure daily. It's been working great thus far.
Old 08-13-13, 07:25 PM
VNA

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
It is annoying to have low blood pressure after a riding more so in the summer even though I drink plenty of water!

Hopefully not too dangerous, although once I had to stop while riding as I was so lightheaded I had to lay down and drank water!

The medication that I take for a non functioning thyroid was increased and did speedup my resting pulse substantially to the high 40s low 50s!

I feel better knowing I am not the only one!
Old 08-13-13, 07:38 PM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
Yes. I get post exercise hypotension. I'll fall asleep after a hard ride longer than say 20 miles (takes me 6-8 miles just to warm up). Pulse will go well under 60 and BP 92/58 and I conk out. Been like that since early 20's. I really have to watch my blood sugar as well as post ride its typical to have low blood sugar (as well as dehydration). All those things at once can lay you out.
Old 05-27-20, 09:29 AM
Harrieta

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bp

Originally Posted by Rons
I just finished reading the heart rate recovery thread. I don't use a heart rate monitor but have thought about getting one. I did take my blood pressure the other day after a 50 mile ride. It was down to 92/60. My normal is usually around 120/80. Does anyone else check their BP after longish rides? I guess dropping is better than going high.
I take my BP.
I ride my bike around 21 miles, yesterday my BP was 80/60.After taking my BP, my husband told me to I drink a lot of water,. its a sign of dehydration. Once I took a shower and drank 16 oz of water it went back up to 114/72.
I always have water, however I ran out yesterday. Ive been reading about this today. It can be a negative if you get lower than 90/60.
Old 05-27-20, 10:21 AM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
1) calibrate your BP cuff if electronic. at every chance you get, get a hearing test if it is a manual aneroid.
2) Review AHA guidelines for taking BP. If you ever see it done correctly , contact me for your prize.
3) if you are not getting swimmy headed after laying down for 3 minutes then standing up, your blood pressure is probably OK.
If that does happen, check your pulse and BP upon standing, if you can, or lay back down.
4) What are you doing to let yourself get dehydrated through sweat and exercise loss? DON'T
remember, humans were put on the planet to help water get from one place to another.
You really don't want to end up in an ER for this now or frankly any other time. Better to have to pee behind a bush.
Old 05-27-20, 12:26 PM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
My bp regularly goes down to 105 after an hour at the gym inc a 40min Les Mills-er. I thought that was common enough;but bp will change quiite dramatically up or down given changes in weather conditions. According to me . . .and 'er indoors!