Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Skipping chain problem - please help

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-12, 10:58 AM
adamj6100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I have had a problem with the chain skipping on my Scott Speedster S30 which has been running 30/45/52 and 12-26 on the rear cassette. I thought I had identified a chipped tooth on the third chain ring on the rear cassette so swapped it for a 11-26 rear cassette. However, the chain is now skipping continuously on the bottom chain ring. All compinents are 9 speed.

Have I not installed a compatible cassette or is there an additional problem anyone can suggest and help me solve?!

Thanks,

Adam

Last edited by adamj6100; 07-18-12 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-19-12, 06:10 AM
Esteban32696

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If the bike has a lot of miles, [ or rough conditions ] it may be due for a new chain. Good idea to get a new cassette as well & replace both at the same time .
Old 07-19-12, 06:34 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by adamj6100
Hi,

I have had a problem with the chain skipping on my Scott Speedster S30 which has been running 30/45/52 and 12-26 on the rear cassette. I thought I had identified a chipped tooth on the third chain ring on the rear cassette so swapped it for a 11-26 rear cassette. However, the chain is now skipping continuously on the bottom chain ring. All compinents are 9 speed.

Have I not installed a compatible cassette or is there an additional problem anyone can suggest and help me solve?!

Thanks,

Adam
Might be you need to adjust your rear derailleur. When I swapped out my cassette (I changed the chain at the same time) it skipped in smaller sprockets on the large chainring, and a tweak to the RD fixed it.

I agree with the advice to check your chain for extension - if your chain is extended it won't mesh cleanly with a new cassette and will skip.
Old 07-19-12, 05:23 PM
skoda2

Bikes: 74 Romic, 83 Basso, Lotto, 88 Condor, Prestige MTB, 12 Soma, Groove

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+1. Chains are cheaper than cassettes/freewheels. If you ride alot replace the chain yearly to prevent chain stretch(lengtening from wear) and subsequent cassette/freewheel wear
Old 07-23-12, 02:17 AM
adamj6100

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Still skipping!

Thank for the help so far - have check all that's been said and the chain is new so should be no problems there. Also adjusted the rear derailleur and eliminated the possibility of the chain riding up.

Ended up videoing the chain and playing it back in slow mo and found that the chain is playing catch up every rotation. Close inspection suggests that the rear cassette, which is new, may be slightly faulty so going to take it to my bike shop to see if they agree! Hopefully get my money back if this is the case otherwise might be in the garage for another 5 hours problem solving.