Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Tiny front racks?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Tiny front racks?

Old 12-13-22, 04:21 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2192 Post(s)
Liked 4,581 Times in 1,762 Posts
Tiny front racks?

Over the years I’ve come to like those tiny French front racks. They weigh next to nothing, look cool and, even better, they can support a front bag, if so desired, as long as it’s not too heavy. Their biggest virtue, however, is that they bolt onto pretty much any bike.

I am familiar with the ones made by Spécialités T.A., as they came on a few bikes I’ve bought in the past, mounted to MAFAC calipers. But there are more, from different brands. As the asking prices for T.A. racks on eBay tend to border on the ridiculous, I look for them at swap meets and parts markets and, somewhat to my surprise, I find other models.

This is what I’ve found so far. Number 2 is the venerable T.A.-rack, but the others? Any idea who made those?

Number 3 is probably Japanese. I have found one before on a Shimano Tourney caliper, which is currently on my Ronnie Hearse:

Number 4 sits out way in front, which could be an advantage when using a long bar stem, but I don’t know what brake caliper would fit. Number 1 is my favorite. It is really tiny and is the only one I have that seems to work with side-pull calipers.

If you have any information on who made these, or other brands that I’m not aware of, I’d be much obliged if you posted them here.

Old 12-13-22, 04:46 PM
Imazagi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
There's the Dia Compe Ene rack, still available new and quite affordable. It's designed for the Dia Compe center pull brakes but fits my Weinmanns after some bending. Here with the VO decaleur.

Likes For Imazagi:
Old 12-13-22, 04:57 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,561 Times in 756 Posts
I'm with you- I think these little racks are fantastic. Though I think a decaleur is a wise idea if the bar/rando bag one of these is supporting will be carrying anything significant! Dia-Compe make one (left in the photo below)- it's somehow slightly less elegant than the TA/French ones, but it does have the advantage of the center support going over-and-above the brake caliper, rather than underneath it (I had to do some subtle dimpling to get the rack/fender/fork-crown arrangement to work when I put a TA rack on my fendered PX-10).
No idea what the brand of the rack on the right in the photo below is- it was on eBay labeled as a TA rack, and it was cheap, so I snapped it up. The proportions are a little deceptive in the photo- the Dia-Compe rack is actually pretty small- the square-ish one is more or less the size of the classic TA racks- maybe just a tad bigger.
I always keep my eye out for the occasional bargain on these racks.

Old 12-13-22, 05:19 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Originally Posted by non-fixie

This is what I’ve found so far. Number 2 is the venerable T.A.-rack, but the others? Any idea who made those?

Number 1 is my favorite. It is really tiny and is the only one I have that seems to work with side-pull calipers..
Does #1 have attachment point(s) other than behind the caliper? ..... actually, looking closer, do any of those pictured besides the TA version have attachment points other than behind the caliper?
Old 12-13-22, 05:21 PM
ehcoplex 

For the heck of it, here's the TA on my PX. I think I may put the square-shaped one I posted above on the PX and this one will go on another build I'm finishing up....

Likes For ehcoplex:
Old 12-13-22, 06:14 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
For a light bag on centerpull brakes, they're the bees knees.

For a full handlebar bag with 8-10 lbs, I've found them to be pretty bouncy unless you use a solid decaleur.
Old 12-13-22, 06:24 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by Imazagi
There's the Dia Compe Ene rack, still available new and quite affordable. It's designed for the Dia Compe center pull brakes but fits my Weinmanns after some bending. Here with the VO decaleur.
That is a nice rack, and the only one, it seems, that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Have a couple of those, also on Weinmann calipers:

It is quite robust (pun intended) and if your bag is big enough it can be attached to the bars. Works better than I expected:

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 12-13-22, 06:31 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by ehcoplex
Does #1 have attachment point(s) other than behind the caliper? ..... actually, looking closer, do any of those pictured besides the TA version have attachment points other than behind the caliper?
Nope. But in the with all of them the weight is on that single brake bolt, whether the rack is attached to the pivot bolts or not.

Old 12-13-22, 07:10 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,634 Times in 2,599 Posts
I’ve broken the mounting tabs on several of those tiny front racks, including the DiaCompe, by putting too much of a load on them (namely a front basket). They are delicate.
Old 12-13-22, 07:23 PM
ehcoplex 

Nope. But in the with all of them the weight is on that single brake bolt, whether the rack is attached to the pivot bolts or not.
Ah, that's a good point... I'm working on an 80s Trek build, but I'm using Tektro 559s on it and have been playing with the idea of using a simple 'diving board', maybe with a cross-piece or two to support the bottom of a rando bag (with a decaleur, of course).
Old 12-13-22, 08:02 PM
El Chaba

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 196 Posts

I love the small front racks. I really can’t stand clutter on the bars interfering with hand positions, and these small racks keep the handlebar bag convenient, get it out of the way, and hold it securely so it doesn’t bounce around. The first two pictures show the rack on my Meral campeur, but they are obstructed by the bag, etc. They do show that it has mounting fixtures for the battery powered torch style light as well as a mount for the dynamo light. The positioning gets the lights out of the way of shadows that might be caused by the bar bag or low rider front panniers. The second two photos show the smallest of several styles of these racks offered by Alex Singer. In the ordering process, I recall it being referred to as type a. There is not a real clear shot, but also visible is the light mount that can be used to mount a modern style battery handle bar mount type light. The rack is surprisingly stiff and nicely overbuilt for the anticipated maximum load of 2 kg.
Likes For El Chaba:
Old 12-14-22, 01:22 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 1,439 Posts
I like this one -- made by some American guy with an Italian sounding name who likes French stuff.

Old 12-14-22, 03:43 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by nlerner
I’ve broken the mounting tabs on several of those tiny front racks, including the DiaCompe, by putting too much of a load on them (namely a front basket). They are delicate.
Thanks for the warning. And you're right. When taking the picture in the first post I noticed that #3 is already missing one of its stays. So that one will be for decoration purposes only, I'm afraid.

Old 12-14-22, 03:52 AM
Imazagi

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
Thanks for the warning. And you're right. When taking the picture in the first post I noticed that #3 is already missing one of its stays. So that one will be for decoration purposes only, I'm afraid.
Absolutely; I overloaded mine immediately (big Abus chain, 3 hardcover books) and it bounced on the tire even though I was using the decaleur. The canti tab mounted versions are a lot more sturdy. These are just for supporting a light rando bag, not for carrying loads.
Old 12-14-22, 04:15 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by El Chaba

I love the small front racks. I really can’t stand clutter on the bars interfering with hand positions, and these small racks keep the handlebar bag convenient, get it out of the way, and hold it securely so it doesn’t bounce around. The first two pictures show the rack on my Meral campeur, but they are obstructed by the bag, etc. They do show that it has mounting fixtures for the battery powered torch style light as well as a mount for the dynamo light. The positioning gets the lights out of the way of shadows that might be caused by the bar bag or low rider front panniers. The second two photos show the smallest of several styles of these racks offered by Alex Singer. In the ordering process, I recall it being referred to as type a. There is not a real clear shot, but also visible is the light mount that can be used to mount a modern style battery handle bar mount type light. The rack is surprisingly stiff and nicely overbuilt for the anticipated maximum load of 2 kg.
Nice! Any thread containing an Alex Singer gets upgraded to level A automatically.

And thank you for bringing in the Méral as well. I like those, and yours provides some much-needed inspiration for the refurbishment of the Peugeot I recently acquired.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 12-14-22, 05:04 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by Imazagi
Absolutely; I overloaded mine immediately (big Abus chain, 3 hardcover books) and it bounced on the tire even though I was using the decaleur. The canti tab mounted versions are a lot more sturdy. These are just for supporting a light rando bag, not for carrying loads.
With one or two possible exceptions, decaleurs are not designed to take much weight. They are useful, though, if not indispensable. A bag toppling forward or sideways is a quick way to tear the tabs off any mini rack, methinks.

They are expensive, especially if you have multiple bikes and bags in different sizes. I have been looking for an affordable solution, and so far this is the best I've come up with. Cobbled together from a Minoura Swinggrip and a length of aluminum tubing. About $15 worth of material and a few hours of my time.

Not the prettiest solution (maybe a bigger bell will help), but it has been on my test mule for a few hundred miles and so far it has held up quite well:

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 12-14-22, 07:27 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 985 Times in 518 Posts
No commercial rack, here are my Gugificazion racks

Old 12-14-22, 07:51 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
I wanted one of those little wire French racks, so I bought the Dia Compe version only to find I really didn't like it. Too bendy and way too heavy for how tiny it was!

So I tig welded something similar. Like the Dia Compe and TA racks, it only attaches to the brake.

I've carried upwards of 5kg on it, but only for a few miles. My usual bag weighs maybe 2-3kg at its heaviest and that's fine for this. Yes, there's no "strap" to tie into the center mounting bolt. I didn't think it was necessary after seeing how much the Dia Compe rack's strap flexed. I put all the strength in the two brake pivot bolts. The rack itself along with the brake booster plate I made weighs 130g. The brake is heavy, at 190g. I made a whole thread about it - you can find it here.
Old 12-14-22, 08:01 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2924 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
Don’t forget the “Velveeta Rack”! LOL. it mounts directly to the fork crown

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 12-14-22, 08:27 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,657 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by bwilli88
No commercial rack, here are my Gugificazion racks

Those midfork mounts really improve the ability to handle a load.
Old 12-14-22, 08:58 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,726 Times in 950 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Don’t forget the “Velveeta Rack”! LOL. it mounts directly to the fork crown

Do you have a jug Miracle Whip that fits in the bottle cage?
Old 12-14-22, 10:26 AM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
I've always been attracted to these classic racks but felt a handlebar bag would be more practical for me. Thanks for starting the thread and for all who have posted photos.
Likes For Chuck Naill:
Old 12-14-22, 11:02 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
I wanted one of those little wire French racks, so I bought the Dia Compe version only to find I really didn't like it. Too bendy and way too heavy for how tiny it was!

So I tig welded something similar. Like the Dia Compe and TA racks, it only attaches to the brake.

I've carried upwards of 5kg on it, but only for a few miles. My usual bag weighs maybe 2-3kg at its heaviest and that's fine for this. Yes, there's no "strap" to tie into the center mounting bolt. I didn't think it was necessary after seeing how much the Dia Compe rack's strap flexed. I put all the strength in the two brake pivot bolts. The rack itself along with the brake booster plate I made weighs 130g. The brake is heavy, at 190g. I made a whole thread about it - you can find it here.
Nice! The T.A. and other racks use solid rod, I believe, where you're most likely using tubing, no?
Old 12-14-22, 11:16 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3489 Post(s)
Liked 2,906 Times in 1,765 Posts
Ooh, the fun we could have with that thread title...
Likes For smd4:
Old 12-14-22, 11:18 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Nice! The T.A. and other racks use solid rod, I believe, where you're most likely using tubing, no?
Yeah, and extra light tubing at that! It is 1/4" diameter and I think the walls are 0.035". It was a rush build. I was being sent to Ann Arbor to collect some data for my PhD and needed/wanted to not be dependent on public transit and ride hailing apps. Found out I couldn't take my Trek because it was too heavy for the airline when in the Iron Case, so this and a decaleur went on the Vitus. Heaviest load was when I did a trip to the Kroger and came back with 3 quarts of cottage cheese, a bunch of peaches, salad greens, sausages, and two frozen pizzas all filling up/bungeed to the Berthoud bag. The rack didn't even bend. Which probably means if it ever does fail, it'll fail by cracking, not bending!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.