Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Genuine Colnago? Expert opinions needed

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-23, 12:57 PM
sthurman

Bikes: Always changing. "Keepers": 1972 Colnago Super, 1984 De Rosa, 1974 Masi GC

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 23 Posts

Hi! Bought this frame locally from second owner. I posted a question about the top tube rust on the CV forum, and several forum members cast doubt on this being a Colnago Super. One mismatch I am aware of is the top tube cable guides and perhaps other things. Frame was repainted by cyclart at some point in the past. I'm interested in any expert opinions about the year/model or veracity of this being a Colnago. Thanks!

Old 05-09-23, 03:10 PM
sthurman

Bikes: Always changing. "Keepers": 1972 Colnago Super, 1984 De Rosa, 1974 Masi GC

More information about frame

I confirmed the seatpost diameter is 27.2 and there are pins in the bottom bracket shell where the seat tube and downtube connect. This should be helpful information for tubing material and I am aware that Colnagos of this vintage should have pins.
Old 05-09-23, 03:18 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts
It looks like one, but I would be surprised, if the top tube cable guides and shifter bosses would be original to the bike. Based on the "snake bite" fork crown it should be from 70-71 IIRC.
Could you clarify which pins you are talking about?
Old 05-09-23, 03:57 PM
sthurman

Originally Posted by Lattz
It looks like one, but I would be surprised, if the top tube cable guides and shifter bosses would be original to the bike. Based on the "snake bite" fork crown it should be from 70-71 IIRC.
I had the same suspicion that cable guides (and maybe bosses) were added later (it did have cyclart repaint).
You can feel the steel pins when you stick your finger through BB shell up into the seat tube or downtube. Ill try and take a photo later.
Old 05-09-23, 04:03 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts
Originally Posted by sthurman
I had the same suspicion that cable guides (and maybe bosses) were added later (it did have cyclart repaint).
You can feel the steel pins when you stick your finger through BB shell up into the seat tube or downtube. Ill try and take a photo later.
You mean rifling? These helical ridges?

A really nice looking frame anyway. Do you have plans with it? What size?
Old 05-09-23, 04:07 PM
styggno1
Steel is real

Bikes: 40 - accumulated over 40 years

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked 1,081 Times in 303 Posts
There is no doubt at all that your frame is a Colnago. And it is from 1971 +/- a year. There are probably going to be some that will pin point it to a certain year but I would allow for some wiggle room and "circa". It has had some modifications. The cable guides on the top tube to 99,99 - or I would say 100 %. Added shifter bosses to 40-60 %. A frame that has had modifications and a repaint might also have had damage repairs - but we will never know. The paint shop had a great reputation in its time and it surprises me that they put on decals not fitting the probable years of manufacture.

I would have the cable guides taken off the frame, kept the shifter bosses (they were an option at that time) and give it a new paint job in a colour that was offered at the time - and put on replicas of the correct decals.

I would love to have such an early 70s Colnago Super. I do have a 1973 Super but I find yours with the earlier version - clubs in both head- and seatlug - and the earlier fork crown more attractive. Plus you have round reinforcment at the (edit - rear chainstay bridge) - another tell for the absolute first years of the 70ies

The pinned construction was a way of stabilizing the frame when going to braze. Sometimes they are there but sometimes they were cut off when the frame was brazed.

Last edited by styggno1; 05-09-23 at 04:32 PM. Reason: spelling and language problems...
Likes For styggno1:
Old 05-09-23, 04:49 PM
sthurman

You mean rifling? These helical ridges?

A really nice looking frame anyway. Do you have plans with it? What size?
Not rifling. Like this:
Old 05-09-23, 05:09 PM
sthurman

Originally Posted by styggno1
There is no doubt at all that your frame is a Colnago. And it is from 1971 +/- a year. There are probably going to be some that will pin point it to a certain year but I would allow for some wiggle room and "circa". It has had some modifications. The cable guides on the top tube to 99,99 - or I would say 100 %. Added shifter bosses to 40-60 %. A frame that has had modifications and a repaint might also have had damage repairs - but we will never know. The paint shop had a great reputation in its time and it surprises me that they put on decals not fitting the probable years of manufacture.

I would have the cable guides taken off the frame, kept the shifter bosses (they were an option at that time) and give it a new paint job in a colour that was offered at the time - and put on replicas of the correct decals.
Thank you for the helpful info and advice. I was thinking of removing the cable guides on the assumption that they were not original, and you've confirmed that idea for me so I might go that direction.

What about classic Molteni with the Merckx decal set, would that be period correct for this frame? I've always wanted to do that but never had the right frame. Nuovo record group, of course!
Old 05-09-23, 06:10 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Excellent! Glad that this was verified. Here's a pic of a '72 similar to yours.

Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 05-09-23, 07:15 PM
bertinjim 

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1972 Carlton Kermesse, 1981 Peugeot PX 14 Super Competition

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 157 Posts
Try here as well: https://cycling-obsession.com/how-to...-vintage-bike/
Old 05-09-23, 07:36 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
Graphics are wrong... but Cyclart were mercenaries.
no doubt they added top tube guides as those did not exist in 1970-71
the fork crown pushes earlier, the lower head lug later.
I think the shift bosses were added also.
toss up on the bottom bracket cable guides but the front may not be clocked correctly.

I would paint it "electric blue" an iconic color and select the "playing card" graphics. Very plausible those were original style.

Last edited by repechage; 05-09-23 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Add picture
Old 05-09-23, 08:27 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18371 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Nice frame.

I'd probably ride as-is, with perhaps a little paint touch-up.

The shifter bosses are a nice touch, as is the water bottle cage bosses.

The cable guides are similar to Colnago with the genuine cable guides being a little bit more open. And, Colnago tended to use 3 Campagolo cable guides, or 2 brazed on cable guides.

If you choose not to paint it, then just keep them as is.
Old 05-31-23, 06:44 PM
sthurman

Update!

Love it or hate it, this is what I went with.

I removed the top tube cable guides with a hacksaw, metal file, and sandpaper. I found that there were significant rust veins, not deep but extensive under the top tube paint.

For economic reasons and my preference for durability, I decided to powdercoat. It was a very reasonable $200 that included meticulous body work on the top tube to remove all rust and pitting and build it back up to being perfectly round. I am pleased with the result from Mavericks powdercoating in Anaheim! Not too much lug and cutout definition lost IMO. The color is an interesting choice.

I was going for Molteni. I thought RAL2004 was too dark orange so I went with RAL2003. It's not a great match for Molteni IMO, it's more of a modern take on Molteni. Yeah, let's call it that! It's similar to surly tangerine dream. I think it'll grow on me! Playing card decal set is in the mail, updates to come.

Likes For sthurman:
Old 05-31-23, 10:14 PM
repechage

Looks good, I am not a powder coat fan, but the appearance is decent.
I would have gone satin black or dark blue lug detailing.
the playing card graphics are correct for this frame.

I just rode my 1973 electric blue Super today.
Likes For repechage:
Old 06-04-23, 05:59 PM
sthurman

Playing card decals installed

It's my first time installing decals, so forgive the imperfections. I will learn to live with it as part of the "character" of the bike. I went with the white set sold by bicycledecals.net...I would have otherwise gone cyclomondo with Greg but he only had blue and yellow script. I filled the cutouts white and will use white cables. Stay tuned for final build in a week or so.

Likes For sthurman:
Old 06-04-23, 06:51 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked 3,542 Times in 1,407 Posts
Nice!

Old 06-18-23, 07:33 AM
sthurman

Final build

To close out this thread, I am posting photos of the final build. All campagnolo nuovo record. Suede Unicanitor saddle. Cinelli old label bars and stem. Leather bar wrap. Only thing modern is the Velocity aerohead rims.

Old 06-18-23, 07:46 AM
repechage

“paint and renovations by Cyclart” ~ translation, we took a torch to it.

Last edited by repechage; 06-18-23 at 07:51 AM.
Likes For repechage: