Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

24" Desoto Classic Trailmate...1-speed to 5-speed freewheel conv. info request.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 03-19-23, 03:02 PM
edwinkimble88

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was gifted a desoto 24" single free wheel (front brake only), Im not sure what year it is (any identifiers to tell?). I am quite mechanically inclined not sure how mechanically inclined I need to be...but the short of it is I planned rig this unit up with a pretty small trailer just big enough to haul my weed trimmer/edger/leaf blower/small push mower around my mobile home community as I do lawncare of 40 or so lots. I thought changing out single speed for a 5 speed would be advantageous for my stamina. I looked at their website and they have a kit for $349 a bit steep for what I am l doing, the model they sell is a Sturmey Archer srf-5 w...I have found 3 and 5 speed hubs from various sites, but im unsure which one or ones might be compatible or if someone else out there had the know how or has done this before that could offer guidance. Any words of wisdom are greatly appreciate, thanks!
Old 03-19-23, 03:38 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
You probably aren't going to want to go very fast on that thing anyway, so if you want a low-cost easy solution, I'd suggest swapping out the chainring for a smaller one. You may have to change out the whole crank assembly, but it isn't too hard; you can find a YouTube video for that, and no special tools are needed other than a chain tool. You'll still only have one gear but it will be lower.
Old 03-19-23, 04:28 PM
edwinkimble88

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rollagain
You probably aren't going to want to go very fast on that thing anyway, so if you want a low-cost easy solution, I'd suggest swapping out the chainring for a smaller one. You may have to change out the whole crank assembly, but it isn't too hard; you can find a YouTube video for that, and no special tools are needed other than a chain tool. You'll still only have one gear but it will be lower.
Thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely shop chainrings, as im sure that a sprocket is less that the gear hub! I have a new set of tires on the way for it but other than that finding a trailer and weed eater/edger mount solution and ill be golden!