Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Waterford/Gunnar closing?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Waterford/Gunnar closing?

Old 05-13-23, 12:44 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 141 Posts
The only road riding I do nowadays is distance riding with a group of friends.

Everything else is gravel or mtbs.

A year ago one of our riding group decided to sell his Waterford "Rando" frameset and I bought it.

I put on a Campy Ekar groupset. Bought it used for decent bucks.

What a bike!!!

I can fit 700x32's, so I ride it with Gravelkings.

I took it out to Montana last summer and used it for my trout bike.

That steel frameset was easily up to the challenge.

Seems a shame they won't be building these going forward, as I think most steel fans would enjoy the ride.
Likes For gomango:
Old 05-13-23, 02:16 PM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
Around 5 years ago I came into some money- I *REALLY* wanted a Rivendell A Homer Hilsen with cantilevers.

After some back and forth, Grant told me he couldn't do it, and recommended that I get a Waterford custom. But that's not what I wanted. Now that Waterford is over, I regret that decision.

FWIW- the Waterford shop is something like 17 miles from my house, with like 7 turns. But I've never been there.

I would venture to guess since the Homers are made in batch orders contracted overseas to prescribed blueprints, deviating from those blueprints isn't an option. If the frame was a model made to order in the USA one like a Roadeo, in that case I do know of at least person of recent who requested cantilevers and the frame was made with the bosses for him. He didn't have to pay a full custom fee, just the $2800 or whatever it retailed for.

Frankly though, there are lots of custom steel frame builders to choose from, more than I ever remember. So while Waterford closing isn't great news, neither is it the anything close to end of the world for custom steel frames. Remember Rivendell, Grant Petersen, is the designer of frames, but neither he nor any of his employees actually make the frames. They're all contracted out to various builders who change over time.
Old 05-13-23, 09:34 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts
Originally Posted by georges1
Sad end for an era that made some of the most awesome high end custom steel made bikes. I really liked the interview of Richard Schwinn withou member jjhabbs. I hope that Waterford /Schwinn will be able in another form to continue to make frames and restore older Schiwnn Paramounts. I never had the opportunity to own a Paramount but I did ride one which belang to one of my cousins, a 1994 Waterford Reynolds 753 made one with Dura Ace 7400 16 speeds and first gen Mavic Cosmic, what an awesome bike it was.
What made it so awesome and superior to other bikes similarly constructed?
Old 05-13-23, 10:56 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked 963 Times in 637 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
What made it so awesome and superior to other bikes similarly constructed?
The geometry providing both comfort and performance, the attention and finish of the lugs plus fact the frame was a very light one and with the proper stem, the famous cinelli xa of the ideal lenght gave me an optimal position when riding. It was and is even better than my Peugeot Prestige in Reynolds 708 Classic. Compared to my Raleigh Système U in Reynolds753,the Raleigh is very close to it but the finish of the lugs was better on the Waterford and transmission wise the DA SL 7400 down tube shifters were and are much more precise and smoother than the CampyC Record Syncro III shifters. Wheel wise, the Mavic Cosmic was a much better wheel than the Wolber rim.
Old 05-14-23, 04:29 AM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 217 Posts
I love my Gunnar. It is my favorite bike. I bought the frameset second hand, because the owner had bought a new one. I always thought i'd do the same one day.

RIP

hope everyone lands on their feet. Much love for all the fantastic bikes.
Old 05-14-23, 09:00 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 933 Posts
Originally Posted by Garthr
I would venture to guess since the Homers are made in batch orders contracted overseas to prescribed blueprints, deviating from those blueprints isn't an option. If the frame was a model made to order in the USA one like a Roadeo, in that case I do know of at least person of recent who requested cantilevers and the frame was made with the bosses for him. He didn't have to pay a full custom fee, just the $2800 or whatever it retailed for.

Frankly though, there are lots of custom steel frame builders to choose from, more than I ever remember. So while Waterford closing isn't great news, neither is it the anything close to end of the world for custom steel frames. Remember Rivendell, Grant Petersen, is the designer of frames, but neither he nor any of his employees actually make the frames. They're all contracted out to various builders who change over time.
I had to go thru my emails (and my BF posts) to remember how it went down- but the canti-Homer was available on a custom order basis as they were still built at Waterford- but this was right at the time the Taiwan bikes were getting up. I personally spoke to Grant and we started the ordering process- (the email conversation went back and forth for a week with several phone calls between) at that point he backed out and said he couldn't do it and suggested that I just order a Waterford custom job and then the "custom" stuff disappeared off the Riv website.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 05-14-23, 09:20 PM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 846 Times in 322 Posts
There was a long history of Schwinn producing quality steel bikes for adults, back to the turn-of-the-century "World" models, and then various quality diamond frame and step-through frames from 1938 onward. There were the Wastyn bikes, and the fillet brazed bikes, and the bikes with hybrid welded and brazed construction. There were also the WWII era bikes that the government allowed Schwinn to complete from leftover stock during the first couple of years of the war, which were simple and reliable transportation during that difficult time.

Many people don't realize that Schwinn tried to revitalize adult cycling in the USA back in the late 1930s, and into the 40s and 50s. The diamond and step-through frame Schwinns made in the 1930s, 40s, and 50s rivaled the Raleighs, Rudges, Humbers, and Hercules of their era. I tend to think Waterford was the successor to that heritage, even if it was more a high-end thing.

Paramount was spun-off eventually and Waterford was the successor to Paramount.

In a sense, Waterford was the last vestige of the old, quality steel Schwinns going back years, even if Waterford represented just the high-end bikes. It all had to end eventually, and retirement (compared to some of the alternatives) is as good a way as any to go out.
Likes For SirMike1983:
Old 06-04-23, 08:58 AM
trackhub

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Very sad to see them go. Everything must come to end at some point, but still, when this happens
it stings a little.
Old 06-04-23, 09:26 AM
Whit51 

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 55 Posts
I wonder if another builder will resurrect the brands? Ala the Bob Jackson / Woodrup deal?
Old 06-04-23, 12:55 PM
dmarkun
Slowfoot

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh International, 1979 Scapin (?), 1980 Trek 715, 1984 SR Maxima, 1993 Bridgestone RB1, 1998 753 Waterford X-12

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 49 Posts
Yes, a resurrection would be good. Or at least somebody please archive their records and take the paint with them to sell little bottles of touch-up on eBay. When I bought my X-12, the seller said it was 753, but here were no tubing stickers on the bike. I emailed Waterford the serial number asking them about it. Richard Schwinn himself replied. He said he checked their shop records and that it was 753, and he gave me the paint color. I'm glad a bought a bottle. Waterford Precision Cycles, what a great group of people, going to miss them.