Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tubular to clincher: replace entire wheelset or just rims?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-12, 01:50 PM
peloton1986

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all,

I am new to bicycle mechanics so this question may be a no-brainer:

I just bought a beautiful 1986 Schwinn Peloton with all original components but I want to use clincher tires instead of tubular tires. The wheels are true and in amazing shape but the rims are built for tubular tires. So, does it make more sense to have just the rims replaced or to trade the entire wheelset in for one with clincher rims? I understand that either can be done but I don't know if it would be too labor intensive (and expensive) to switch out the rims on the stock wheels.

Any information would help a ton!
Old 07-19-12, 02:13 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
On a bike of that caliber I'd keep the original wheelset (it belongs with the bike) and get a set of whatever clinchers you want to use as a daily rider wheelset.
Old 07-19-12, 02:27 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by peloton1986
Hello all,

I just bought a beautiful 1986 Schwinn Peloton with all original components but I want to use clincher tires instead of tubular tires.
Is this some kind of sick troll post?

My guess is it'd be cheaper and easier to sell these wheels and get a pair of clincher rims new or used... or offer your tubular wheels in trade for equivalent clincher wheels. Sounds like you haven't built your own wheels before, but if you're interested in giving it a try it'd be pretty easy if you can find some clincher rims with the same drilling and ERD.
Old 07-19-12, 02:29 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
I agree.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 07-19-12, 02:39 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Things to consider:
1. Is the Peloton hub a freehub or freewheel hub?
2. Yours is also a 126mm width, modern are usually 130mm (axle outside locknut to locknut)
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Old 07-19-12, 03:35 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
There are actually 4 choices:

Build on old hub

Switch out for freewheel style 700c wheel (keep or trade)

Switch out for cassette compatible wheel, purchase new cassette, chain, rear derailleur and lever/cable set.

The last option is much more expensive, and I would not recommend it. No point in getting a vintage bike if you're going to throw out the rear section of drive train and then pay more than an equivalent modern bike would cost.

Last edited by cny-bikeman; 07-19-12 at 03:39 PM.
Old 07-19-12, 05:13 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
+1 on FastJake's suggestion; don't break up the set. You might want to sell it down the road and not having the original wheelset will seriously impact the resale value of your classic bike. The same goes for any original parts you might want to replace; keep them.
Old 07-19-12, 05:27 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
You might want to sell it down the road and not having the original wheelset will seriously impact the resale value of your classic bike. The same goes for any original parts you might want to replace; keep hem.
This is a nice bike but it's not anybody's holy grail bike. He could easily spend more on a new pair of wheels than the whole thing is worth. If he can find a good pair to trade for he shouldn't second guess himself. I'm not convinced it came with original tubulars in the first place... by 1985 tubulars were only on the most serious of race bikes as standard equipment. 1985 was the year Specialized and Avocet came out with really good clinchers and most complete bikes came with clinchers... racers had a special set of sewups built for race day.
Old 07-19-12, 07:27 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
This is a nice bike but it's not anybody's holy grail bike. He could easily spend more on a new pair of wheels than the whole thing is worth. If he can find a good pair to trade for he shouldn't second guess himself. I'm not convinced it came with original tubulars in the first place... by 1985 tubulars were only on the most serious of race bikes as standard equipment.
According to the catalog, the 1986 Peloton (the top of Schwinn's regular line, I'm not sure if they had the Paramount then) came with Araya ADX-4 tubulars: https://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1...986Ltwt30.html

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
He could easily spend more on a new pair of wheels than the whole thing is worth...
Well sure. He could spend more on a rear derailer than the whole bike is worth if he shops well enough. But IMHO that bike is too nice to break the original wheelset from it.
Old 07-19-12, 07:49 PM
LarDasse74

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Have you tried riding it with the tubulars yet?
Old 07-20-12, 12:49 PM
peloton1986

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, everyone, for the helpful input!

The Peloton definitely has the original wheels (Suntour Superbe hubs, Araya ADX-4 rims) but I am receiving it without tires so I can't test it out unless I buy some. I want to use this as my daily rider bike around town and would prefer to use clincher tires. Otherwise it would be nice to change as little as possible - I don't want to replace the drivetrain or lever/cable set. I would also prefer to find replacement wheels that ride as close as possible to the originals but I'm willing to be flexible about this.

How much would it cost (in labor) to have a shop build new wheels from the existing hubs? Although this sounds like an appealing option, I'm leaning toward trading the wheelset in for a comparable one with clincher rims. Keeping the original wheelset so as not to compromise the resell value of the bike also sounds smart but I will most likely be keeping the bike for a long time and I'm not too concerned about keeping everything stock. Still, I understand it might be a mistake to let the original wheelset go...

The freewheel is a Suntour New Winner Ultra 7 (7-speed). What should I be looking for in a replacement wheelset? 700c, 126mm spacing, I understand, but what else?

Any further information would be much appreciated!
Old 07-20-12, 03:21 PM
stevenc

Bikes: Eddy Merckx MX Leader "Vive le Roy", Flanders Pista, Poggio Shimano 600 10-speed

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
126mm hubs are no longer produced, but they are not rare. Finding a 700c 126mm/100mm second-hand wheelset with clincher rims shouldn't be too hard. The other option would be to score a 126mm/100mm hubset and have a shop lace these to new clincher rims. Swap out the freewheel, keep the tubular wheels. Doesn't sound like you're looking for a lot of performance, so basic hubs/rims/spokes will do. Still, having wheels laced will cost some $$.

You could also buy a 130mm current wheelset and either cold set (spread) the rear fork (but then the old wheels wouldn't fit anymore) or force the 130mm into the 126mm frame, but I'm no fan of this.
As said before: try riding the tubulars some day, it does make a big difference, and with tyre sealand punctures are not such a big problem anymore.
Old 07-20-12, 04:03 PM
peloton1986

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So would a wheelset like this work ?: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Mavi...#ht_1667wt_945
Old 07-20-12, 04:09 PM
ultraman6970

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just buy any clincher wheels with a cassette, 10 speed or whatever and put them in there. If are 130 nothing is going to happen the bike is made of steel. It will work just fine.

Sell the tubular wheels, it is a crime to just take them appart because you dont use tubulars. If you are in DC metro let me know and I might buy them from you.

Good luck.
Old 07-23-12, 02:32 AM
stevenc

Bikes: Eddy Merckx MX Leader "Vive le Roy", Flanders Pista, Poggio Shimano 600 10-speed

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by peloton1986
So would a wheelset like this work ?: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Mavi...#ht_1667wt_945
Yes, that is a 126mm clincher 700c wheelset. 36 spokes so should be sturdy.Bicycle Mechanics