Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-24, 05:02 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10234 Post(s)
Liked 5,178 Times in 2,222 Posts
Rode in Minnie yesterday with Whyfi. Really love that city. Wide bike lanes, virtually no traffic even at rush hour. He did most of the pulling my legs didn’t want to cooperate. A lot of of punchy little hills, just steep and long enough where you think you can power through it but then still have to get through the saddle.

Garmin logged it as a sprint workout, I didn’t have a power meter, was on his gravel bike, I imagine my HR going above threshold on every single hill is what tricked the garmin.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 04-17-24, 12:17 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2611 Post(s)
Liked 3,128 Times in 1,645 Posts
Couple photos of last week's ITT. They put the photographer right near the S/F area which sucks because you need to leave aero a bit to navigate traffic. I promise I look better on other parts of the island.

More TTT practice this morning, one more session in a couple weeks before district champs. We were... sloppy. Still have another practice to tighten up ship.

Likes For TMonk:
Old 04-18-24, 08:22 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,449 Posts
TMonk I think you have a solid TT position. Could it be improved...maybe. Only accurate testing could determine that. IMO, having good forward visibility is a must when riding on the open road.
Old 04-18-24, 08:44 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,449 Posts
Since I destroyed my race pursuit bars in my crash in September last year, I have been looking for a replacement. I have old aluminum bars from Planet X that look slow. However, I can set the width wider than is available in the later model bars such as those from Aerocoach and others.

What is interesting is that there may be a wider elbow pad set point that works for me. I have broader shoulders such that moving my arms apart and splitting the airflow may work. Sarah Hammer had her aerobar pads set wider. In testing, she found that it made no difference moving her arms closer together and she could breathe better.

Of course, if one looks at the positions of the current elite hour record holders, they look like they are hidden behind their helmets and their arms look like a spear.

And there is a trade off between control and how narrow one sets ones arms. The closer together the arms, the less control one has over the bike. So I would choose control over a slightly less CdA in team events. Also, in team events, one has the opportunity to recover and breathe. So a position that favors recovery and breathing may offer a competitive advantage.

I think all the above mentioned variables make team events interesting and challenging to get perfect.