Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Seeking Feedback on Shimano STEPS EP8 XT Di2 630Wh?

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Old 03-22-23, 04:39 PM
newbert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts

I'm considering purchasing an HP Velotechnic Scorpion FS20 tadpole trike. I want electric pedal-assist and have read good things about the Shimano STEPS EP8 XT Di2 system. I'm looking for some real world feedback on it from owners or those who have tried it - especially with regard to power, ease of use, and reliability. I'm coming from a trike with Bosch e-assist which I really like, but the HP Velo doesn't offer that as an option.

Any feedback, positive or negative, on the Shimano STEPS would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 03-22-23, 05:00 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 946 Times in 553 Posts
out of the three main systems bosch Brose and Shimano I have seen the most complaints about Shimano support and reliability. How it feels is really good though. but Shimano is bad about parts and service on them.
https://electricbikereview.com/forums/forum/shimano/
Old 03-23-23, 06:50 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 307 Times in 198 Posts
I've had a couple of connection issues with my Shimano E8000 during the past year. I encountered both problems at different times while riding a rougher paved road, so I think vibration caused it. A phone call to my trike dealer, in each case, gave me the information so I could fix the malfunctions.

The first problem (encountered after 6 months) was the motor would shut off and the display showed E-10 and had to be rebooted, which is a connectivity issue. There are two treatments for this: 1) apply dielectric grease to the battery cradle (or bracket) electric contacts. This may temporarily solve the problem, but the real fix will be:
​​​​​2) remove the cover of the 'heel' of the battery cradle to expose the locking latch. Loosen the two screws and slide the latch approximately 1mm towards the toe end. Re-tighten the screws, replace the cover and re-install the battery. The point is to reduce the allowed movement of the battery.

The second problem (encountered after one year) was also a connection issue where the motor shut off for just a moment, but powered back on by itself with no error code. The assist level would revert from 'Eco' to 'Off', but I toggled back to Eco. And a hundred yards later had to do it again. The solution was to remove the control panel display unit, turn it around to examine the back and find a small Phillips head screw near the bottom of the back. Very gently, tighten that screw but don't over tighten. It feels like you can strip it out by barely tightening it. I don't know exactly what this screw adjusts, but it seems to affect the control unit contacts. I've had no more problems of any kind.

I haven't had any interaction with Shimano, except for having my dealer order an additional battery for me (mine is 504 Wh). Still waiting after 3 months for Shimano to get it to him.