Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

What kind of bike do I want?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-20, 01:20 AM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
I bought the Marin Gestalt X11 today. Feel good about it except for the bike shop suckering me into buying pedals there for 160 bucks. This is why I hate bike shops. Still it was good deal on the bike so whatever.

Now I'm having trouble getting this new Wahoo to upload to Strava.
Likes For aaronmcd:
Old 04-27-20, 01:21 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
I bought the Marin Gestalt X11 today. Feel good about it except for the bike shop suckering me into buying pedals there for 160 bucks. This is why I hate bike shops. Still it was good deal on the bike so whatever.

Now I'm having trouble getting this new Wahoo to upload to Strava.
Congrats!!!! Enjoy!!
Old 04-27-20, 01:46 PM
aaronmcd

Likes For aaronmcd:
Old 04-27-20, 04:16 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Ahh, I miss those views! Congrats on the new ride! Seems like a perfect bike for the area. Are many trails up there closed right now?
Old 04-27-20, 06:46 PM
aaronmcd

Originally Posted by pbass
Ahh, I miss those views! Congrats on the new ride! Seems like a perfect bike for the area. Are many trails up there closed right now?
Seems like it'll be the right bike. Took it on a short ~20 mile ride with friends on various bikes including one friend on a fixie, so I didn't really push it on dirt, but the dirt we did felt really comfortable compared to riding my Cervelo. It was also perfectly fine on pavement. It's a bit more upright which is nice for the social rides I do, and the tires are better for accidentally hitting potholes on crappy SF roads. I think many trails are open and some are closed, but I'm not too worried if I "accidentally" have some closed trails to myself. It's the ultimate social distancing. I'm still not in the best shape but I may try a 50 miler next weekend and see if I can find some dirt.

Do you have any route recommendations? I've been all over from Point Reyes to Santa Cruz on pavement but haven't explored much dirt other than planet of the apes near Pacifica and a few trails in Marin.
Likes For aaronmcd:
Old 04-28-20, 04:00 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts

Do you have any route recommendations? I've been all over from Point Reyes to Santa Cruz on pavement but haven't explored much dirt other than planet of the apes near Pacifica and a few trails in Marin.
Sorry, I wasn't riding(not seriously) when I lived there--was over 15 years ago! Check in with Mike at Black Mountain Cycles and he see what he suggests. Also the guys at Trail House in Santa Rosa. I think Annadel Park has some good stuff. I intend to hit that next time I visit. I hope it's open!
Old 04-28-20, 06:34 PM
aaronmcd

Originally Posted by pbass
Sorry, I wasn't riding(not seriously) when I lived there--was over 15 years ago! Check in with Mike at Black Mountain Cycles and he see what he suggests. Also the guys at Trail House in Santa Rosa. I think Annadel Park has some good stuff. I intend to hit that next time I visit. I hope it's open!
I have a few friends that may show me some good routes when (if?) the shelter in place ends. I'm sure if I get back in shape for bigass rides I'll find stuff... I managed to beat up my Cervelo too often. China camp looked like it had some good trails but they were too gnarly for my Cervelo, I had to do like 5 mph downhill. I recall a few steep fire roads that might be a bit more fun with lower gearing and bigger tires. And I'll be sure to do the dirty routes I took the Cervelo on and see if they are even better with the right bike. Hell, if I do get back in shape I may try another Grasshopper and sign up for the dirt version (I did an all-road version of one when I was in decent shape and it kicked my ass, but I was "racing" it).
Old 03-15-23, 01:36 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
How do you like the bike? Do you use the dropper much or is it a gimick on a gravel bike?