Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Zipp 303s for gravel vs other options

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Zipp 303s for gravel vs other options

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-23, 10:13 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,056 Times in 3,809 Posts
Originally Posted by KJ43
I ride my bike on everything from full road rides to fairly technical singletrack and other trailriding, so yes. On a steep technical climb with rocks and roots if you have to do some stutter peddling without losing traction it absolutely makes a difference.
Hmmm...Not once have I ever had the thought that my hub wasn't engaging fast enough, or been able to tell the difference in engagement quickness between hubs. I've just ridden what I have and made it work, since before high-engagement hubs were a thing.
Old 03-24-23, 10:17 AM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Hmmm...Not once have I ever had the thought that my hub wasn't engaging fast enough, or been able to tell the difference in engagement quickness between hubs. I've just ridden what I have and made it work, since before high-engagement hubs were a thing.
Great! It's almost like different riders have different experiences, levels of experience and opinions! Weird!
Old 03-24-23, 10:30 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Please don't put words in my mouth as that is not what I said. Please continue making silly posts. Carry on.
Wow
Old 03-24-23, 10:37 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Great! It's almost like different riders have different experiences, levels of experience and opinions! Weird!
Right. I shared my experience that I haven't noticed a difference when riding, which seems to align with what Koyote posted. If others have had different experiences, that's fine with me. I'm not implying that anyone else is wrong just because their experience is different than mine. Maybe it's just something that I haven't paid attention to in the past, and I'll be more aware now. Maybe I still won't notice a difference.
Old 03-24-23, 04:26 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Pretty much my experience nowadays but when I used to mountain bike I found myself bothered occasionally by hubs with slow engagement (relatively speaking).
Old 03-24-23, 04:43 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by tFUnK
Pretty much my experience nowadays but when I used to mountain bike I found myself bothered occasionally by hubs with slow engagement (relatively speaking).
I ride road, gravel, and MTB on a regular basis. Maybe I would notice a difference if I was swapping wheels that had different freehub configurations in the same bike. Maybe not.
Old 03-24-23, 05:16 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
I ride mild terrain compared to most of you so the biggest difference between hubs is the frequency of the freewheeling buzz. Other than that I do not notice when switching between bikes having rear wheels with 36, 40, or 90 points of engagement.
Old 03-26-23, 07:02 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Nice wheelset and we sell them in our shop, but if you are a high mileage rider we fine the hubs are not as durable as some others. There are some great aluminum wheelsets that are as light as some carbon. We think the Shimano GRX wheels as a fantastic high-quality value, and the Easton EA90s are really hard to beat for aluminum, and the new Shimano carbon wheelset at ~$1050 is something we will be trying out soon as well as it looks compelling.
Old 03-26-23, 10:44 PM
Plainsman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 30 Posts
I really appreciate all of the feedback and different experiences. I did a gravel ride on Friday and the one thing it confirmed for me was that the stock wheels I'm running spin up slow and the tires feel cumbersome whenever I have to hit pavement. Hearing the experience of those that have them, sounds like I would be just fine with them. During my ride, I realized that the only time I would probably benefit from the depth of the 303s would be in gravel events that also include some pretty fast pavement sections. Not that you can't go fast on gravel either, but the only time I'm doing that is probably in an event as well. Of course, IMO the deep sections look great at any speed, even standing still. Definitely have some decisions to make. Thanks for the advice, and feel free to share other favorite gravel wheels!
Old 03-27-23, 08:56 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts

I have the drive 50v if I were to buy another set of carbon wheels I'd probably get them again.