Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

How are you following pro cycling these days?

Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Old 02-08-23, 04:55 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 592 Times in 453 Posts

The days of obscure video feeds are largely gone. Lots is available after the fact via YouTube -- highlights or sometime whole replays. I'm no longer dirt poor, though I don't like to squander $$ either. I'm curious, where are you getting your bang for the buck on cycling coverage? I'll talk mostly road here, but feel free to chime in with other disciplines if that's your thing.

For video:
#1 by a long shot: GCN annual subscription plus a VPN service to watch from mostly the UK
Also in the running: Peacock is fairly cheap. A heckuva lot less than the old NBC Sports Gold thing.
Hell no: FloBikes. Too expensive, lousy coverage.

For "print":
https://www.cyclingnews.com/ and https://cyclingtips.com/ can be decent
https://www.velonews.com/ less so but OK
CN and VN are prone to kick in a pay wall free read limit, but you can bypass by viewing incognito.
I'm fine with supporting my media sources but they're not good enough for the a$k.

Other:
https://www.procyclingstats.com/ for info
https://www.velogames.com/ for fantasy competition
https://cyclingmole.com/ and https://www.ciclismointernacional.com/en/ for previews & picks, along with various sources mentioned in the velogames tweet feed
There are various podcasts / YouTube channels out there. Lanterne Rouge et al. I don't really frequent any of them. Maybe I should.

RIP steephill.tv bike travelogue and procycling live coverage. You're sorely missed.

Edited. I got FloBikes mixed with another streaming service.

Last edited by slcbob; 02-09-23 at 07:56 AM.
Old 02-08-23, 05:12 PM
semroc

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 62 Posts
Mostly procyclingstats, GCN also. Then sweat it out on velogames wondering why my picks aren’t taking the podium. Lol. If I’m in throwback mode I go to Eros Poli crushing it up Ventoux on YouTube, and mesmerized by Indurains group dropping the hammer for an eternity. Bike racing rules!
Old 02-08-23, 05:13 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,052 Times in 3,808 Posts
For me, it's pretty much all YouTube. I don't feel compelled to need to watch everything live as it happens, but enjoy staying mostly up-to-date on current races. I tend to like "final __km videos" for road races.
Old 02-12-23, 07:49 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 126 Posts
Procyclingstats for me also. I used to go to CN, but sometime over the last decade they changed and I found it no longer relatable. VN the same. I'd rather have a Joe Friday "just the facts ma'm" kind of news. I can't watch any TV either, I sold it a long time ago. I love watching the pro races online, including cyclocross season, oh heck, I love me some Biathlon and Cross Country skiing from the European Pro circuit as well. Mostly for the sheer drama and scenery. Growing up and living in the cold winter, I relate to CC skiing, and the shooting element of Biathlon is just plain fascinating and adds another dimension unlike any other sport.

Of course, "back in the day" in America you had to read magazines to get information about pro cycling, so I don't need to know "every bit of news right now" to this day. I'm not "connected" 24/7 to the www nor do I ever want or need to be.
Old 02-12-23, 08:08 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 263 Posts
GCN and GCN+
You Tube
Lantern Rouge
Chris Horner...love the knuckleheads
Old 02-13-23, 02:42 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4363 Post(s)
Liked 3,000 Times in 1,853 Posts
Originally Posted by Kai Winters
GCN and GCN+
You Tube
Lantern Rouge
Chris Horner...love the knuckleheads
LR for me. He talks really fast and it's a good cognition challenge to follow everything that he's saying, but it's fun.
I watch Chris, but I'm tired of the knuckleheads and all of his other repititious stock phrases. Also, a few years ago he had the added value of actually having ridden with many of the riders in the races, but that is less true every year now.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 02-13-23, 02:45 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Originally Posted by Eric F
For me, it's pretty much all YouTube. I don't feel compelled to need to watch everything live as it happens, but enjoy staying mostly up-to-date on current races. I tend to like "final __km videos" for road races.
+1.

All Cycling. https://www.youtube.com/@allcycling5260
Cycling Sprints https://www.youtube.com/@cyclingsprints6665
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 02-13-23, 12:25 PM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by MinnMan
Forgot one
https://www.youtube.com/@psnSupergrobi10
Today featuring a notable 2023 debut from Pogacar
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 02-20-23, 08:15 AM
MinnMan

But they've all changed their kit designs too much. I can't tell who is who in the sprints.
Old 02-21-23, 12:44 PM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
I'm in America so whatever they show for free on NBC, I'll watch. I pay for the app Tour Tracker but there are free ones as well. You tube, mostly Lance Armstrong's Wedu podcast.
I only speak English so I can't follow anything in French or Italian. Too bad.
Old 03-12-23, 05:05 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 78 Posts
GCN+ and a VPN. Can't beat it. Never going back to NBC, or whatever it is now.
Wife and I have watched GCN enough that we are pretty tired of Sean 'Yes, well..' Kelly. But the rest of the commentators are fine, and Orla Chennauoi would be an amazing TV presenter for anything.

- Dr Samuel Johnson

Last edited by Chicago Al; 03-12-23 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-13-23, 07:52 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

King Kelly!

A cycling friend of mine has heard him broadcast in French and says he's much easier to understand than in English.

Next time I see her, I'll have to ask if he does his trademark 'Yes, well..' there, too.

It makes me laugh/smile thinking about Carlton Kirby and Sean Kelly spending so much time together. Polar opposites, at least superficially.
Likes For slcbob:
Old 03-13-23, 08:26 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
I'm not following pro cycling.
Old 03-17-23, 05:22 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
oh geez! ummm...through this forum along with cycling news.com, procyclingnews.com, gcn (subscription but haven't actually watched live since the vuelta or giro in 2022-can't remember.
just happy to throw a couple $$ towards the cause). if i actually can be bothered to discern it was a banging stage/race, will hit utube for the lowlites. explains it all-don't it?
Old 03-23-23, 03:19 PM
XTR

Bikes: Cannondale Delta V 2000, C-dale SuperV Active, Bridgestone RB-1, Colnago Master, Izalco Pro 4.0, Carbon Superfly 100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I catch replays on Youtube if I can find them, and I watch Chris Horner. He's got a long way to go before he's as repetitive as Phil Liggett, and I've been listening to him in July longer than a lot of folks here have been alive.
Likes For XTR:
Old 03-23-23, 09:14 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
LR for me. He talks really fast and it's a good cognition challenge to follow everything that he's saying, but it's fun.
I watch Chris, but I'm tired of the knuckleheads and all of his other repititious stock phrases. Also, a few years ago he had the added value of actually having ridden with many of the riders in the races, but that is less true every year now.
there is huge value in having a top-notch, recently (1-5 years) retired rider that can speak to newer tactics, riders, courses, tech, etc along with an old-school (bob roll type) rider than can bring the listener/viewer the traditional history, lack of extreme weather protocol
modifications and changes (good/indifferent/bad) to courses/rules/tech. always love a (usually former, top-notch) climber's perspective on a mountaintop finish that hasn't been featured in a race since that commenting rider won it 5-15 years ago.
Old 03-24-23, 04:42 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
^^ I hope to hear more from Nicolas Roche but I think he's doing some gravel racing and managing trinity racing team or something? Twitter is a neat place for a close up look. I'll read cyclingmole for some insights.
Old 03-24-23, 05:05 AM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: Cannondale CAADX (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD12 Team CNCPT, Giant Contend 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 106 Posts
Eurosport - brilliant coverage. More and more races are being shown to the extent that I can't watch them all.
Likes For Welshboy:
Old 03-24-23, 06:55 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
there is huge value in having a top-notch, recently (1-5 years) retired rider that can speak to newer tactics, riders, courses, tech, etc along with an old-school (bob roll type) rider than can bring the listener/viewer the traditional history, lack of extreme weather protocol
modifications and changes (good/indifferent/bad) to courses/rules/tech. always love a (usually former, top-notch) climber's perspective on a mountaintop finish that hasn't been featured in a race since that commenting rider won it 5-15 years ago.
Sometimes when I'm extra lazy I'll watch coverage on Peacock rather than VPNing to GCN/Eurosport. Bobke and CVdV have gotten better. Though they are notably less plugged in than the other crew and have fewer pros from Dover integrated into the coverage. In the last couple of races I've listened to them, it seems Bob is backing off being a color commentator himself at times and throwing Christian the sort of "ask the pro" questions you'd expect from Paul Burmeister or Liam McHugh.

Of late, I've grown to rely heavily on GrainBrain's screen grabs and Twitter curating in threads here.