Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Integrated Headset help

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Integrated Headset help

Old 03-14-23, 11:47 AM
digger

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1295 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 132 Posts
Integrated Headset help

I recently purchased a Quiver Disc frameset like this
https://www.fyxation.com/products/quiver-disc-frameset

The website states that it requires an IS41 integrated headset, which is what I bought. The fork crown seat OD is 30mm, the same as the inner diameter of the bearing. When I install the split crown race, I am unable to push it any further down than what is shown in the attached photo. As you can see, there is a gap there. Did I buy the wrong headset?
​​​​​​​

Old 03-14-23, 02:03 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,425 Times in 1,341 Posts
Curious about why, and wonder if your installation sequence might be the issue.

Start by installing the crown cone ("race") all the way down. Make sure it's fully seated, and resolve whatever is preventing that, if any, before going further.

You can not search it by pressing with the bearing, because the conical shape will have it squeeze a gains and grab the fork.
Old 03-14-23, 02:04 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
we're going to need more info... headset brand and model/numbers.. .

do you have an accurate way to measure the bearing ID, crown seat OD and crown race ID ?
if so, please provide those measurements, ok?

and after looking at several integrated headsets online...plus recalling ones i've installed... NONE of them had a split Crown race.. that may just be the FSA, Cane Creek, and Aheadset kits i buy... The crown race is usually a press fit solid RING, and it Takes A Lot of Force to install, way beyond simply pressing it down by hand... how did you attempt to install the part in question?This is an example of the Slide Hammer i use to install Crown races... https://www.ebay.com/itm/30469623324...3ABFBM4r_Lntxh

Many also use a PVC tube, or copper pipe as an install tool

also... since this is a NEW fork... did you inspect the fork for debris or machining mess at the crown race seat? it looks rough to me.

Last edited by maddog34; 03-14-23 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-14-23, 02:29 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by maddog34
.....NONE of them had a split Crown race.. the crown race is a press fit solid RING......
FWIW the photo clearly shows a split crown cone (race).

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-14-23, 03:58 PM
digger

Yes, I installed the crown race first, and then placed the bearing on top. I did not install both at the same time.

In the image below, you can (hopefully) see that the bottom of the crown race is beveled, so that is why it does not appear to be seated.

I know that this will be some cause for concern, but the brand is 'Risk', I purchased off Amazon. Below shows the ID of the bearing, 30mm.

The OD of the bearing is 41mm.

The diameter of the steer tube when the crown race sits is 30mm

And again the crown race on the steer tube, without the bearing.
Old 03-14-23, 04:21 PM
FBinNY 

OK, so this is a no problem "problem". The bottom of the race or cone is not flat intentionally for the same reason that cups and saucers are footed, namely to oprimize level seating on uneven surfaces.

In this case the crown's seat is the flat zone near the center, and the bevel is to provide clearance in the event that the seating area isn't perfectly flat. On most forks you wouldn't have noticed, because the seat area is relative small and the fork slopes away from it.

However, your fork has the wide flat disk which makes it look wrong, when it actually isn't.

If it bothers you, fill the gap with some kind of caulking.

BTW - it's also possible that the disk is actually part of the original headset that you forgot to remove. It's a possibility I'd explore by setting a punch against it and seeing if it moves up with gentle prodding.

Last edited by FBinNY; 03-14-23 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-14-23, 05:16 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

the "problem" is the headset kit you purchased.

Don't feel bad, we've all bought things that ended up not being such a great deal.

spend a few more dollars and buy an FSA.kit or Aheadset kit.....They fit up fine, as designed, and as machined.

Last edited by maddog34; 03-14-23 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-14-23, 05:16 PM
FBinNY 

it looks like the bearing is a direct press fit onto the fork, no crown race needed......
You must gave far more experience than me. I have NEVER seen a cartridge bearing headset that didn't use a conical system top and bottom to locate the bearing and stabilize it for radial loads.

In any case, the OP clearly stated it came with a split crown race, and even included photos of it. So why would insist he doesn't need one.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 03-14-23, 05:20 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,789 Times in 2,269 Posts
These cartridge bearinged headsets generally wanr the cartridge riding on the beveled face and not the bearing's ID or OD. Otherwise why add cost and grind that bevel. The ID and OD should be sliding fits over the crown seat and within the head tube (or cups) ends.

The split seat ring is often what is locating the upper bearing's top side. The split ring can "float" along the steerer to allow for preload adjustment and the split will let it keep the bearing coaxial to the steerer as it compresses around the steerer. Is there another conical ring with a split in it in the packaging? Andy
Old 03-14-23, 06:28 PM
digger

Originally Posted by FBinNY
OK, so this is a no problem "problem". The bottom of the race or cone is not flat intentionally for the same reason that cups and saucers are footed, namely to oprimize level seating on uneven surfaces.

In this case the crown's seat is the flat zone near the center, and the bevel is to provide clearance in the event that the seating area isn't perfectly flat. On most forks you wouldn't have noticed, because the seat area is relative small and the fork slopes away from it.

However, your fork has the wide flat disk which makes it look wrong, when it actually isn't.

If it bothers you, fill the gap with some kind of caulking.

BTW - it's also possible that the disk is actually part of the original headset that you forgot to remove. It's a possibility I'd explore by setting a punch against it and seeing if it moves up with gentle prodding.
Ah, I see that makes sense now. No, that disk is part of the fork tubing, there's no seam there. Thank you, that helps a lot.
Old 03-14-23, 06:31 PM
digger

You must gave far more experience than me. I have NEVER seen a cartridge bearing headset that didn't use a conical system top and bottom to locate the bearing and stabilize it for radial loads.

In any case, the OP clearly stated it came with a split crown race, and even included photos of it. So why would insist he doesn't need one.
At first I thought it was an integrated crown race myself as maddog34 suggested, but, it is not conical, and when I slip the bearing over the crown seat area (without the split race) the bearing drags on the top of the fork.

The split crown race came with the headset kit, not the fork.
Old 03-14-23, 06:36 PM
digger

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
These cartridge bearinged headsets generally wanr the cartridge riding on the beveled face and not the bearing's ID or OD. Otherwise why add cost and grind that bevel. The ID and OD should be sliding fits over the crown seat and within the head tube (or cups) ends.

The split seat ring is often what is locating the upper bearing's top side. The split ring can "float" along the steerer to allow for preload adjustment and the split will let it keep the bearing coaxial to the steerer as it compresses around the steerer. Is there another conical ring with a split in it in the packaging? Andy
Yes, 2 split 'rings' are in that headset package, one for the crown race and one for the pressing ring on top of the headset.
Old 03-14-23, 06:46 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by digger
Ah, I see that makes sense now. No, that disk is part of the fork tubing, there's no seam there. Thank you, that helps a lot.
OK, you're all set, and free to deal with the cosmetics of the gap if you wish.

FWIW another reason for the dish shaped bottom is for removal. It's not critical on a split crown, but imagine removing a pressed crown race if there weren't a gap underneath the lower rim.

Old 03-14-23, 07:50 PM
digger

OK, you're all set, and free to deal with the cosmetics of the gap if you wish.

FWIW another reason for the dish shaped bottom is for removal. It's not critical on a split crown, but imagine removing a pressed crown race if there weren't a gap underneath the lower rim.
Yep, I’ve installed maybe a couple dozen headsets over my cycling career, mostly threaded then threadless (A-headset) and admittedly this integrated headset is a first for me.

When I put the split race on it just didn’t look right, so I thought I did something wrong.

With the exception of the star nut, thus tool free headset gig is awesome sauce.

Thank you again, and you can send me the bill for your services.
Old 03-14-23, 09:11 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,577 Posts
The only Risk product I want in life is a game distributed by Hasbro! Not a headset. If I am looking for a cheap reliable headset Cane Creek 40 series all day every day without question. Never had an issue with one, I don't think many people have. They might be more expensive then a no-name but are much less of a risk and always a good buy. I think aside from Chris King (usually for 1" threaded) and buying a White Industries headset (it was blue and purdy) Cane Creek is about all I use for pretty much all my bikes. One bike has come with an Acros headset but no plans to replace that yet until I have an issue but that came with the bike and it also has a block lock feature which is nice.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-14-23, 09:21 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by veganbikes
The only Risk product I want in life is a game distributed by Hasbro! Not a headset....
Risk?....It's a %$#&@ headset. The ONLY risk is it wearing out sooner than some other headset.

The reality here is that all was good from the beginning. It ONLY looked wrong because the big flat washer made it look funny.

Likes For FBinNY:
Old 03-14-23, 09:43 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Risk?....It's a %$#&@ headset. The ONLY risk is it wearing out sooner than some other headset.

The reality here is that all was good from the beginning. It ONLY looked wrong because the big flat washer made it look funny.
The headset brand is Risk, I wasn't saying the actual headset was risky at least not from a safety standpoint (maybe financial).
Old 03-14-23, 10:08 PM
FBinNY 

The headset brand is Risk, I wasn't saying the actual headset was risky at least not from a safety standpoinyt (maybe financial).
Sorry about that. It never occurred to me that someone would go with such a dumb brand name.

I guess I'm too conditioned to "You can die" posts on BF.

Last edited by FBinNY; 03-14-23 at 10:18 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 03-14-23, 11:23 PM
maddog34

Look at the Measurements, Francis. It's a press fit onto the fork.

and i'd suggest that the conical seat is not a good design, in this instance. Radiused bottom mating surface and Height/Diameter of top "cone" are both suspect.

I have two new Integrated Cartridge headsets here.. both have solid Crown races with a shallower height.
One of those kits can fit up with a shim or two onto a wide seat as the OP's Pictures show... Two shims came with the Headset.

a semi-integrated bike i work on has a setup that requires the "two shims, as needed" to fit up correctly. The Bearing sets directly on the shim(s). not on a conical seat.

Kit Brands? Ritchey and Cane Creek.

the semi-integrated bike has an FSA headset kit mounted up right now... no crown race used, but was supplied.
i should mention that the Semi-int. bike is a CX bike and has carried a 225lb.(claimed weight) rider through many races and a lot of general abuse, wheelies, and outlandish stunts, while showing off to his buddies.

Last edited by maddog34; 03-14-23 at 11:28 PM.
Old 03-15-23, 12:06 AM
FBinNY 

[QUOTE=maddog34;22829954]Look at the Measurements, Francis. It's a press fit onto the fork.....
The OP said SPLIT, and it's clearly visible as confirmation. But feel free to insist otherwise. It's moot now because the OP has it together and working.

FWIW the ONLY issue was the cosmetic mismatch between the footed centering cone and wide flat disc on the fork.

Footed crown races, shaped like the bottom of a dish are SOP on press fit models to make removal easier. That's not necessary on a split race (cone) but I assume they simply added the split to the existing version.

Last edited by FBinNY; 03-15-23 at 12:16 AM.
Old 03-15-23, 02:34 AM
digger

I was waiting for comment on the "Risk" brand name. I've installed several threadless and threaded headsets over my cycling career, and although an integrated headset is a first for me, I feel the machining and the look and feel of the headset seems quite good. It is just that the wide base of the fork threw me off when I installed the split race, I thought I had done something wrong, so I thought to ask you fine folk.
So I took a Risk (see what I did there) and decided to give it a try for $22. I do agree with you that you do get what you pay for....usually, but not always. Some of the boutique brands can be way over-priced, nice stuff, oh yes, but a Chris King headset for $375 USD or $512 CDN, is just too rich for my blood.

These small companies, like all companies, had to start small, and I think that 'Risk' would not be a good brand name to use. BUT, by that same logic the bike frame I bought is called "Fyxation" a company in Milwaukee, so I guess I will be taking a Risk buying this frame-set because I'll be constantly fixing it...says so right in the name.
I also purchased the Sensah brand of cycling products (RD, cassette, chain, crank and levers) for this bike as well. I did not want to use Shimano because, well, it does have 'no' right in the name. In all seriousness, the Sensah products cost me $500 whereas Shimano GRX would be running me well over $1,500. Why am I going cheap? This is a travel bike I am building up (added S and S couplers, which were not cheap) so I can take it down and travel. I am concerned, this day and age, about the bike getting damaged or lost when I fly with it, so I did not want to lose $2,500 to $3,000 but $1,500 would be easier to swallow.

Like maddog34 suggested, I too thought it might be an integrated crown race; press fit the bearing onto the fork. So I tried just placing the bearing on the fork with no split crown race, nope, you can feel the bearing dragging on that wide disk/plate on top of the fork. Too be sure, I emailed the company to ask, and I received a response yesterday evening. I do not think they are stating that a split crown race is an issue, just that they have never used one.

Likes For digger:
Old 03-15-23, 08:04 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
and after looking at several integrated headsets online...plus recalling ones i've installed... NONE of them had a split Crown race.. that may just be the FSA, Cane Creek, and Aheadset kits i buy... The crown race is usually a press fit solid RING, and it .
There are indeed headsets with split crown races. Both FSA and Velo Orange sell them and they make installation a lot easier. However, they have to be used on the exact size crown race seat they are designed for as, properly sized, there is no noticeable gap.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 03-15-23, 08:19 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Sorry about that. It never occurred to me that someone would go with such a dumb brand name.

I guess I'm too conditioned to "You can die" posts on BF.
Yeah it is pretty dumb. There are a lot of you can die posts but in this case it is a poor name.
Old 03-22-23, 11:56 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

digger I just re-read the post you made about Chris King and I don't know what numbers you are getting. I went to the CK website the DropSet is $176 and all of their cupped headsets are $207 granted yes that would be USD but it still gets nowhere near any of the prices you are quoting. The only headsets from CK that would get up that high is maybe an old Titanium cupped Nothreadset or something super rare limited edition they no longer make. A Cane Creek 40 series would be about $52.99 and a 110 series which are quite nice would be 143.99.

I would be curious how you got such heavily inflated numbers? Maybe it is a little bit more in Canada, but to get $100-200 more just seems a bit off.
Old 03-22-23, 01:45 PM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 655 Times in 455 Posts
digger I just re-read the post you made about Chris King and I don't know what numbers you are getting. I went to the CK website the DropSet is $176 and all of their cupped headsets are $207 granted yes that would be USD but it still gets nowhere near any of the prices you are quoting. The only headsets from CK that would get up that high is maybe an old Titanium cupped Nothreadset or something super rare limited edition they no longer make. A Cane Creek 40 series would be about $52.99 and a 110 series which are quite nice would be 143.99.

I would be curious how you got such heavily inflated numbers? Maybe it is a little bit more in Canada, but to get $100-200 more just seems a bit off.
Look up a Canadian postal code on the Internet, then check shipping from a US location to that Canadian postal code on eBay. The cost can be way higher than you'd expect. From $20 to $40 USD for S/H/insurance wouldn't surprise me, even for a small package like a headset.

Now, add in the exchange rate ($1CAD = $0.73 USD). Assuming $40US for shipping/handling, a $207US item is now up to ($207 + 40) / 0.73 = $338+CAD. And we haven't even talked Canadian import taxes, which I understand are fairly high on some items. But even if the import taxes are only 10%, that brings the total for a $207 USD headset to about $372CAD - which is about what the OP mentioned for the lower end of his price range. And Canadian customs duties on bike parts may well be higher than 10%.

Last edited by Hondo6; 03-22-23 at 01:51 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.