Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Fitting a 27 inch wheelset into a 700c frame

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-17, 02:35 PM
curbowman

Bikes: Imremo (cheap taiwanese mtb) and vintage Jupiter King (Japanese '70s road bike)

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

Hi there! Someone is selling a 1990's Giordana road frame online at a very low price, and I'm tempted to buy it and simply install the parts I already have in my old bike.

My old bicycle is a cheap '70s Japanese road bike made with horribly heavy steel tubes, so the Giordana frame will be an excellent way to get me a much lighter ride with a very low investment.

However, the Giordana frame is made to be used with 700c wheels, but the ones I have in my old Japanese one are 27-inch wheels (630 x 32).

Could it be possible to use the 27" wheels on a 700c frame? Of course it would be better to simply buy the 700c wheelsets, but I'm nearly broke.

I have two 27" set of wheels: one set is 630 x 32 and the other is 630 x 20. I think I could be able to squeeze the skinnier ones in the Giordana frame, but I'd like to know if someone else has attempted this.

Thanks for your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Frame on sale.jpg (99.2 KB, 226 views)
Completed Giordana bike.jpg (45.9 KB, 225 views)
JP.jpg (123.0 KB, 226 views)
Old 11-14-17, 02:50 PM
sch

Liked 140 Times in 106 Posts
The main question will be can the brake pads be adjusted up far enough to hit the rims. You may run into trouble
with tire clearance on the fork and brake mount cross bar in the back, and possibly on the seat tube.
Your 27" rear hub may be narrower than the drop out spacing in the rear, but this is less of a problem.
Old 11-14-17, 03:01 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
You'll never feel the difference in weight between the two frames.
Old 11-14-17, 03:08 PM
skimaxpower

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is no good reason to install 27" wheels on a bike made for 700c. This is analogous to connecting your typewriter to your laptop.

Sell the old bike and use the money to buy some used 700c wheels.
Old 11-14-17, 03:09 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF, Specialized Sirrus Gravel convert '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Liked 1,139 Times in 808 Posts
the Brake reach on your old center pull brakes will not work on the new frame.... the new frame is definitely a SHORT REACH frame.

from the "built up" Giordana image, it appears the frames are meant for 28mm or less 700c tires/wheels, so your tires/wheels will not fit.

one other isuue... is the Giordana an Italian threaded, or English threaded, bottom bracket? Italian threaded BB's are getting rare, which translates to Expensive.

yet another issue will be the rear hub width... is your current bike a 126mm or 130mm rear hub width?

also, the Seat Post will almost assuredly be the wrong size, so you'll need to find one of those, too... and if the seat post is a different size, the Front Derailleur will probably not fit on the new bike either!

the Rear derailleur may not work on the Giordana, either... look at the hanger on the old bike... frame type hanger, or axle mounted "plate type" hanger?

cables will need redone to fit the new frame...

so, to sum up: this will NOT be a simple "swap of parts".... period.

Last edited by maddog34; 11-14-17 at 03:18 PM.
Old 11-14-17, 04:34 PM
curbowman

Bikes: Imremo (cheap taiwanese mtb) and vintage Jupiter King (Japanese '70s road bike)

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
WOW! Thank you very much, I didn't know I would need to buy not just wheels but lots of other parts as well. Italian threaded BB's are nearly non-existent here in Venezuela.

The problem with my old Japanese bike is not just its weight, but its size as well: it's a little smaller for my body.
The Giordana frame is excellent, but it really needs to be repainted. And then I'll need to add the price of wheelsets, front derailleur, seat post, Bottom Bracket, and brakes... maybe it's better to simply look for another used bike whose size matches mine. Thank you all!!
Old 11-14-17, 05:23 PM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Mate, keep riding your old bike while you save for parts or another bike. Once you've got a working replacement, you can sell your current bike or keep it for those trips where you have to leave a bike unattended (even if locked).

As for the weight - you won't notice that. The size issue is a different thing of course.
Old 11-14-17, 05:48 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
In case it is not already clear, the small clearance between fork crown and rear brake bridge and the 700c tire means that your 27" wheels definitely will not fit.
Old 11-14-17, 05:51 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by curbowman
...maybe it's better to simply look for another used bike whose size matches mine. Thank you all!!
No, not "maybe," the small clearance between fork crown and rear brake bridge with the 700c wheels means that there's no way 27" wheels will fit.
Old 11-14-17, 05:58 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Liked 2,278 Times in 1,393 Posts
Your best bet is to find a better complete bike than your 70's bike. No matter what frame you buy, frame up builds almost always cost more than a complete bike.

John
Old 11-14-17, 06:20 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
In addition to the above problems, wouldn't the handling change noticeably because the smaller diameter wheels, but with the same head angle and fork offset, would result in a change in the trail? If the trail changed a few milimeters that could make quite a difference.
Old 11-14-17, 08:48 PM
AnkleWork

WOW! Thank you very much, I didn't know I would need to buy not just wheels but lots of other parts as well. Italian threaded BB's are nearly non-existent here in Venezuela.

The problem with my old Japanese bike is not just its weight, but its size as well: it's a little smaller for my body.
The Giordana frame is excellent, but it really needs to be repainted. And then I'll need to add the price of wheelsets, front derailleur, seat post, Bottom Bracket, and brakes... maybe it's better to simply look for another used bike whose size matches mine. Thank you all!!
Sounds like enchufado problems.
Old 11-15-17, 06:33 AM
curbowman

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Enchufado my ass!!!

Originally Posted by AnkleWork
Sounds like enchufado problems.
Mmmm... Do you know what "enchufado" means here in Venezuela?

If I was an "enchufado" I wouldn't need to hunt a derelict frame and swap parts, I would simply buy a brand-new bike off the shelf with money stolen from the country.

For those who don't know, the communist government in Venezuela has destroyed the economy, has killed and incarcerated people who protest against them, they have created an inflationary rate of 800% just this year, crime has soared up to 26,000 violent deaths EVERY F*KING YEAR, food and medicine have become scarce (and thus extremely expensive)... and so are repair parts for just about everything, including cars and bicycles.

One of the reasons I am using a bike that's too small for me is because I just can't afford to repair my car, since parts have become incredibly expensive due to the restrictive economic policies of president Nicolás Maduro.

The only people that have enough money to pay the ridiculously high prices of everything are the ones with close relationship to the corrupt government, people who are "connected" to State contracts in either the military sector, oil extraction, and the like. And the spanish word for "connected" is "enchufado".
Old 11-15-17, 09:10 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Liked 679 Times in 246 Posts
Have you tried to find a taller stem and longer seat post that will fit your bike.

I am 6'5" and normally ride a 64cm frame but recently fixed up a 62 cm frame with a long Tecnomic stem and longer seat post. With North Road style bars. I am very comfortable on it.

Perhaps one of the shops has some old parts you could buy. If there is a bike co-op where you live go talk to them. Besides the Technomic, there are mountain bike stems that are angled up instead of down that would raise your bars a couple inches.
Old 11-15-17, 09:26 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Liked 5,418 Times in 3,740 Posts
Unless you go with very expensive wheels, cranks and just about everything else to get weight savings, a six pound frame and fork is only going to get you a 21 to 23 pound bike.

So are you sure that Japanese made frame is as bad as you think it is? If the handlebars, seat post and wheels are steel, you can lighten it by swapping those for aluminum alloy. Cheaply if you look for deals.
Old 11-15-17, 10:49 AM
3alarmer

Bikes: old ones

Liked 10,459 Times in 7,255 Posts
...P+R in 5....4....3.....2....
Old 11-21-17, 12:04 PM
curbowman

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...P+R in 5....4....3.....2....
What is P+R??
Old 11-21-17, 02:35 PM
AnkleWork

Mmmm... Do you know what "enchufado" means here in Venezuela?

If I was an "enchufado" I wouldn't need to hunt a derelict frame and swap parts, I would simply buy a brand-new bike off the shelf with money stolen from the country.

For those who don't know, the communist government in Venezuela has destroyed the economy, has killed and incarcerated people who protest against them, they have created an inflationary rate of 800% just this year, crime has soared up to 26,000 violent deaths EVERY F*KING YEAR, food and medicine have become scarce (and thus extremely expensive)... and so are repair parts for just about everything, including cars and bicycles.

One of the reasons I am using a bike that's too small for me is because I just can't afford to repair my car, since parts have become incredibly expensive due to the restrictive economic policies of president Nicolás Maduro.

The only people that have enough money to pay the ridiculously high prices of everything are the ones with close relationship to the corrupt government, people who are "connected" to State contracts in either the military sector, oil extraction, and the like. And the spanish word for "connected" is "enchufado".
Non-enchufados worry more about their next meal than the weight of their bike frame.
Old 11-21-17, 03:06 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts

Time has left the 27" wheel behind, now the market has 99.9% shifted to 700C.. (+ other sizes )

only need, currently, for 27" wheels are for repairs to keep old bikes in service..

Old 11-22-17, 12:20 PM
curbowman

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by AnkleWork
Non-enchufados worry more about their next meal than the weight of their bike frame.
Exactly!! But in my case, the bicycle has become a much needed asset. It's either buying spare parts for the car or buying food for the family. So, getting back on the saddle is the logical thing to do.
Old 11-22-17, 12:48 PM
curbowman

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Even the I-Ching agrees with you, people.

I have followed the advice given and I'm not going to buy the Giordana frame. It wasn't a simple decision for me, because I really wanted it to build myself a great bicycle, and the price was extremely attractive.

Since all of you agreed that my plan of swapping parts from one bike to the new frame wouldn't work, and that there are cheaper methods to get the bike I want, I decided to follow your advice and pulled the plug on the deal. However, a funny thing happened.

I was talking about it with a friend yesterday, and she told me to ask the I-Ching, the ancient Chinese Book of Changes. That is a method that helps people to make difficult decisions in life, business, war and politics; whose value has been proven for more than 4000 years.

Well, I had already decided to not buy the frame, but I decided to use the I-Ching nonetheless. So, I asked the I-Ching "What can I expect if I buy the Giordana frame?". And the answer was the Hexagram #44 "Unexpected Encounters", who reads:

"An attraction is strong, but the relationship may not be destined to last long. A coming together of disparate forces may not be what it seems. An apparently harmless — but potentially dangerous — element has attracted attention and is pulling on a stronger one. One image is of a bold but immature young girl who uses her charms to gain influence with a powerful man. The man dallies with her, thinking that it can do him no harm. Ha, famous last thoughts! When power shifts into the hands of those who are not prepared for it, harm can come to all parties."

Daaaaaaaamn!!!!! It seems I dodged a bullet! Once again, thank you guys for your advice!