Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Tights?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-02, 05:21 PM
Joe Gardner
BikeForums Founder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tights?

Ok, time to buy some tights, what should i look for? Chamois or Not? Thermal? Name Brands?

Temp range will between 0 and 32F.
Old 09-19-02, 09:22 PM
Rich Clark
A Heart Needs a Home

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally, I wear my regular bike shorts under the tights (with chamois), which gives me more flexibility (if it warms up I can take the tights off) and gets the tights less icky.

I've been very happy with the tights I've gotten from www.geckogear.com.

RichC
Old 09-20-02, 04:21 AM
Jean Beetham Smith 
Slow Moving Vehicle

Bikes: Felt F-70, Terry Madeleine, Novara Safari fully customized by me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Icebike gives the Geckogear tights a rave review. It all depends on how long you are planning to ride and how cold you expect it to be. Short errand rides on days in the teens I actually dress warmer than I do for longer rides. One of the reasons I'm so happy with my new panniers is that I can take a better set of "keep warm if stopped" clothes. Mostly I wear some "cafe pants" or windfront pants or thermostat tights with rain pants over them. For cool weather rides under an hour, I don't feel the need for a chamois as much as I do in the summer (gel saddles).
Old 09-20-02, 04:29 AM
mike

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
For 0 to 32 degrees F, get thermal tights or at least heavier guage.

Chamois or not? I would opt for 'not'. I don't like the diaper feel of the chamois and it tends to chafe.

Brand? They are all pretty similar. Try to find some with zippers at the cuff and reflectors sewn in. If you are riding in the cold, it probably means you might be riding at night. Since virtually all tights are black or at least dark colored, you should avoid turning into an invisible bicycle ninja when riding in the dark.
Old 09-20-02, 12:19 PM
Joe Gardner
BikeForums Founder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies, my LBS has the Giordana glacier bib tights on sale this week for $120. Sounds a bit pricey, but may be worth the cost.

I currently use the CP-4 shorts for Giordana, and couldn't be happier. The thing i really liked about the glacier tights was the build and thermal qualities. The looked and felt very warm, but i'm not sure if they would hold up to 0 degree F riding. Tthey also have reflective material all over them

[edit] Just found some info online about the glacier tights here: https://www.celoeuropa.com/clothing/g_glatight.html , they rate the bibs from 30º-50ºF... [/edit]
Old 09-20-02, 02:10 PM
OldDog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mind if I piggy-back another tights related question in here?

Does anybody sell tights in tall sizes? I'm 6'2" with a 32" waist and ~34" inseam - and all the tights I've tried (Performance brand, PI, and whatever they sell at REI) end up only going just below mid calf when the waist and seat area fit. If I go to one that's long enough, the top ends up being baggy.

Giordana brand clothing is supposedly geared more toward the lankier part of the population, but nobody I've seen around here carries them. I can order them from Colorado Cyclist, but does anybody have any experience with their fit in terms of waist and inseam?

Thanks -

OD

Last edited by OldDog; 09-20-02 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-20-02, 02:14 PM
mike

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally posted by OldDog
Mind if I piggy-back another tights related question in here?

Does anybody sell tights in tall sizes? I'm 6'2" with a 32" waist and ~34" inseam - and all the tights I've tried (Performance brand, PI, and whatever they sell at REI) end up only going just below mid calf when the waist and seat area fit. If I go to one that's long enough, the top ends up being baggy.

Giordana brand clothing is supposedly geared more toward the lankier part of the population, but nobody I've seen around here carries them. I can order them from Colorado Cyclist, but does anybody have any experience with their fit and feel?

Thanks -

OD
You have the rare long and thin physique that should allow you to get great stuff on sale. We envy you, OldDog.

Last edited by mike; 09-21-02 at 05:47 AM.
Old 09-20-02, 02:47 PM
Joe Gardner
BikeForums Founder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 6'4" tall, 178 lbs, 32" waste. The Giordana wear fits me great, i require a XXL for there shorts, and tried on the XXXL tight, it fit me quite well.

BTW, The tights are $40 off due to the size.
Old 09-20-02, 04:10 PM
Alan Perkins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Damn beanpoles.
Old 09-20-02, 05:38 PM
Pete Clark
It's in my blood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by mike
For 0 to 32 degrees F, get thermal tights or at least heavier guage.

Chamois or not? I would opt for 'not'. I don't like the diaper feel of the chamois and it tends to chafe.

Brand? They are all pretty similar. Try to find some with zippers at the cuff and reflectors sewn in. If you are riding in the cold, it probably means you might be riding at night. Since virtually all tights are black or at least dark colored, you should avoid turning into an invisible bicycle ninja when riding in the dark.
mike, I LOVE YOUR NEW PIC! You're beautiful!!!

<sob, sob--sniff, sniff...>

Last edited by Pete Clark; 09-20-02 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09-21-02, 05:35 AM
mike

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally posted by Pete Clark

mike, I LOVE YOUR NEW PIC! You're beautiful!!!

<sob, sob--sniff, sniff...>
Thanks, Pete. You know I'm workin' hard at it. Ya know, its like granpappy said, if ya can't be beautiful at least try not to be ugly.

For more, check out the thread https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?threadid=14883

Last edited by mike; 09-21-02 at 05:41 AM.
Old 09-23-02, 04:38 AM
Tom_The_Bikeman
Señor Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Joe,

I've got some warm tights that are kind of lycra like, and warm. They keep me nice and toasty down past 0 F - but you'll be having other problems like fingers, toes, and face to worry about then. The manufacturer of the tights is Dutch, I think...if you're interested, I'll dig 'em out.

This morning it was chilly for the first time in a LONG time...made me think about putting on some long fingered gloves.

I wore my Burley rain suit again today, (with rain-pants) and the pants really help to keep me warm even though it was pouring.

*sh*t*! That's what I get for not reading to the end...You definitely don't want chamois in the tights...also, it shouldn't really matter that much if the tights are baggy when you get them. That's what suspenders are for...I have two pair of the lycra heavies, and one set is ENORMOUS!

take care,
tt

Last edited by Tom_The_Bikeman; 09-23-02 at 04:41 AM.
Old 09-23-02, 08:52 AM
MtnBikerChk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just went to REI to try on the Pearl Izumi Thermafleece - they are so SOFT and comfy. They are probably only good to 40 degrees but I don't see myself going outside any colder than that.

They are pricey but with my 20% off coupon..... code gearup
Old 09-23-02, 11:17 AM
nathank
cycle-powered

Bikes: '02 Specialized FSR, '03 RM Slayer, '99 Raleigh R700, '97 Norco hartail, '89 Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well, i have tried different things over the years and i use a combination of the following 3 for different conditions of cold/wet:
* leg-warmers - most of them have some wind protection and are surprisingly warm -- these actually get the most use by me these days as i use them alone or OVER my basic running tights
* basic running tights - these are for moderate temperatures. mine are NOT windproof which is good for temperatures down to say 32F or so. if it's pretty cold and/or cold and wet i wear these and then add the leg-warmers as needed...
* winter tights with windproof material in the front, but normal lycra in the back so that it breathes. mine are from Performance and have a thin fleecy liner on the inside, but they are not the thickest out there. the biggest problem i have with mine is that they are TOO warm. in the 20-30F range i usually overheat in them while cycling (they are nice for the first 10 minutes before you get warm)

i always wear regular padded shorts and then some form of tights and or leg-warmers --- you don't need multiple padding and you pay more for the padded tights, plus you have more selection and they are smaller (when stowed in the pack) w/o padding and you can take off the tights and you still have padded shorts.

for most near and slightly below freezing riding i wear the running tights and the leg-warmers which i can then take off if it gets too warm. Then only when it's truly cold do i break out the winter tights. i only wore them once the whole winter the first year i had them in Portland, but then in Massachusetts we had a few sub-20F days and in Munich i wore them a lot for temps betwenn 15 and 32F.

as someone said, when the temp is low enough that you need something more than medium weight windproof tights you're going to have to have some really special stuff for your hands (i wear liners and snowboarding gloves), feet (gaernot Polar winter fleeze-lined shoes, thick socks and neoprene booties) and face.

lastly, for tights, i really recommend some kind of reflective material -- most important on the back of the lower leg, visible from the rear.
Old 09-23-02, 12:40 PM
Joe Gardner
BikeForums Founder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, I went ahead and purchased some pull over tights, without the chamois. I'm going to take them on tour, and only plan on using them when zipping down the mtn canyons at break neck speed! I still plan on purchasing a heavy duty cold weather tight, as i just dont think these will do much good for cold windy utah winters.
Old 09-24-02, 03:51 PM
Spire
山馬鹿

Bikes: Nakagawa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Joe,
What exactly did you order?
Cheers,

Old 09-24-02, 03:57 PM
OldDog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Joe -

I just picked up a pair of Sugoi MidZero bib tights in XL, and they fit my frame very well, so they might be a good fit for you. They seem really comfortable, and have a wind and rain proof upper thigh pannel. No chamois - they are the pull over shorts variety, which strikes me as a better option.

It hasn't been cold enough in Denver yet to need them, but as soon as I do take them out for a real ride, I'll let you know how they perform.

Cheers -

OD
Old 09-29-02, 03:04 AM
naisme
Friend of Jimmy K

Bikes: A lot: Raliegh road bike, 3 fixed gears, 2 single speeds, 3 Cannondales, a couple of Schwinns

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have two tights. One is just normal Trek tights wear over shorts, usually the oldest in the drawer, as they have holes, and I can't throw them out, this is their last season though. The second is Bell Weather(?) with a ripstop nylon front, and nice thick lycra/lined legs. They are excellent, with a gap in the rip stop for knee bending. They keep me warm all winter.
Old 11-20-09, 11:30 AM
Taintkick

Bikes: Scott speedster S50 components w/ a cr1 pro frame, Dimondback

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Couldn't find my old "tights" thread so....
I bought my first pair of tights, the castelli primo bib tights. Went on my first ride with them yesterday and was cold as ish when i first started off but warmed up pretty soon, my "junk" didn't. Any suggestions, do you guys wear underware or something?

BTW i don't like the new website, work computers don't load it right.
Old 11-22-09, 06:00 AM
Taintkick

Bikes: Scott speedster S50 components w/ a cr1 pro frame, Dimondback

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe I put this in the wrong section.
Old 11-22-09, 09:52 AM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
For below 40f. I wear Sporthill XC pants. I wear them with just underwear down to about 15f. Totally windproof and coldproof. They're expensive. But you can find them on sale on the internet. This is my third year with them. And they're built to last. IMO the best winter cycling tight out there, even though they were originally designed for cross-country skiing. Sporthill makes excellent winter gear.
Old 11-25-09, 09:49 AM
jkintn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For temps in the 40s are you all just wearing regular running tights (such as UA Heat Gear) or thermal tights (UA Cold Gear)?
Old 11-25-09, 04:00 PM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
If the aftn temps are above 45f I wear regular lycra riding tights or Sporthill Infusion pants. Which are loose fitting and good from about 25f to 55f. Once we get into the cold stuff below 40. I go with Sporthill. It keeps me warm and comfortable with a minimum amount of layering.
Old 11-27-09, 02:49 PM
grueling
old and in the way

Bikes: Niner RLT, Niner rigid MTB, Salsa Beargrease, Rocky Mountain Element

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the Sugoi Espresso "tights" for cold weather. The bottoms of the legs are looser than true tights, so you may need to use a strap, but that just adds a reflective surface. When it gets really cold, wearing them over leg warmers, I stay warm. They work great for XC skiing as well.
Old 12-01-09, 03:42 AM
soze
ex-everything.

Bikes: venerable surly crosscheck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am still in desperate love with Pearl Izumi's AmFib tights. Get them a size large and you can stuff other pairs of tights or base layers underneath.

This year I'm trying out a pair of Terry COLDweather tights, I hope they'll live up to my old AmFibs or else it's back to PI with me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.