Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What do you do for a living?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-08, 12:14 PM
tnath0522

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am curious as to what type of jobs everyone has and how your job fits into your commuting lifestyle.

I am an accounting manager for a large soft drink company in Tampa. My employer does not offer bike rack/storage and we do not have showers. They even took my two hangers that I left in the bathroom supply closet that I use to hang my sweaty bike clothes. Guess I will start hanging them in my cube! They even prohibit me using a personal fan to cool off with after I ride.

I think its time to look for a new job.
Old 08-07-08, 12:20 PM
Indie

Bikes: 1976 20" folding Triumph Trafficmaster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Technical support for consumer software. It's a small office, occupied by myself, the office manager (who also bikes frequently), and a half dozen software & content developers. We aren't all packed so closely together that we can smell each other, so it's not a huge problem if I get here sweaty. I bring a change of clothes, reapply deodorant and wash my face, and I'm good for the day.

It's a second-floor walk-up, so I carry my bike up the stairs and park it behind my desk instead of locking it outside. My commute is about 8 km (5 mi) one way.
Old 08-07-08, 12:21 PM
kk4df

Bikes: Bottecchia CF frame and fork, Ultegra 6603 crank and FD, DuraAce RD, Easton Vista wheels, Brooks B-17 saddle, Shimano 105 brakes, Michelin Pro2 Race tires

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Engineer at a paper mill; 17 mile ride each way. I lock my bike to the fence around the parking lot, just across from the guard shack and their cameras. We do have a shower with a "small" locker for my sweaty clothes.

I get a lot of teasing when seen in my spandex, but they're just jealous. A few others have talked about commuting, but no one else here does it regularly (yet).
Old 08-07-08, 12:22 PM
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I make people feel good about bad software.
Old 08-07-08, 12:22 PM
ItoDoeblin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm an analyst for a large company. We have lockers and showers in our office building, and they have provided a (small) bike rack. Many of my co-commuters just bring their bikes into their workspace with them, and the company has no problem with that. I just get distracted and want to ride away if I have to start at my bike all day
Old 08-07-08, 12:24 PM
knobster

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kinda the same thing as pinkrobe. I babysit customers for a security software firm. I can work from home when I want and ride in whenever. Problem is when I'm at work, I'm stuck. Have to stick around all day. Good news is there are tons of commuters at this company.
Old 08-07-08, 12:30 PM
Itsjustb

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse 5c, Scattante XRL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pinkrobe
I make people feel good about bad software.
Jeebus, for the apps I use that would be a full-time job for an army of people. In fact, <small rant> for the last few months I've been forced to use a web-development app called "Plumtree" and it's the biggest p.o.s. I've ever used. I've used freeware apps that were more reliable, easier, and feature-rich than this thing.</rant>

I'm a Microsoft Word guru for a large pharma company.
Old 08-07-08, 12:33 PM
kokomo61

Bikes: Giant OCR C2, Kona Jake the Snake, Scattante 650-R

Liked 21 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kk4df
Engineer at a paper mill; 17 mile ride each way.
What paper company/mill? I used to work for Champion paper (now part of IP), and visited mills in Hamilton, OH, Canton, NC, Sartell MN and someplace WAY north in the Michigan UP.....
'06 Kona Jake the Snake

Old 08-07-08, 12:34 PM
lmxloco
Vine, vi, monte bicicleta

Bikes: 2005 Tomasso Imola Road bike, 2001 Ironhorse Outlaw hard tail, 2008 Motobecane Fantom Trail DS FS, 2009 GT Agressor with upgraded BB, brakes and F/R deraileurs.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I pretty much ensure that the rest of you are going to burn alive at your desk if any of my work is wrong and you have a fire.

I'm a project engineer for SimplexGrinnell...which is mainly a fire alarm business, but we do all sorts of low voltage work. Luckily I just work with plans all day, and not customers, so if I have a funk from the morning commute only my coworkers are mad...and I don't care about them.

Most of the people here are overweight though, so they stopped complaining about any funk when they see I've lost over 50lbs doing the commute (and other riding).
Old 08-07-08, 12:39 PM
cg1985
Goon

Bikes: Rocky Mountain RC30, Soma Sport Fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PC technician. Paycheck absorber.
Old 08-07-08, 12:40 PM
FredOak
SA[in]NE

Bikes: Trek 7200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
System Analyst/Programmer for the largest health care system in WNY.

I'm beginning to see a technical trend
Old 08-07-08, 12:40 PM
tate65
crash survivor

Bikes: C-dale rush, Mountain cycle fury, Monocog 29er, Haro hard tail VX, Scattante R330

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Semiconductor, product test engineering tech.....I make sure the parts that go in you sound system work before they get to the place that builds your sound system
Old 08-07-08, 12:42 PM
d2create

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tnath0522
I am curious as to what type of jobs everyone has and how your job fits into your commuting lifestyle.

I am an accounting manager for a large soft drink company in Tampa. My employer does not offer bike rack/storage and we do not have showers. They even took my two hangers that I left in the bathroom supply closet that I use to hang my sweaty bike clothes. Guess I will start hanging them in my cube! They even prohibit me using a personal fan to cool off with after I ride.

I think its time to look for a new job.
Which softdrink company?
I'm a graphic designer and we design the packaging graphics for coke, minute maid, and a bunch of other foods, alcohols, personal hygiene, and electronics products. Pretty much anything that is packaged and sold retail.

Anyway, yeah i don't need to dress up. Jeans and t-shirts every day.
Old 08-07-08, 12:51 PM
gfrance

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Independent options trader on the floor of an exchange. Work clothes are 'business casual--khakis and collared shirt' as of a year ago, so I will usually ride in my work clothes. If it's too hot I may just take the subway. Lock the bike up on the street. Lots of security around the building, but if someone wants the bike, they can get it I'm sure.
Old 08-07-08, 12:54 PM
jerseybmx

Bikes: 1985 cannondale commuter, 2004 gary fisher ziggurat, 04 serrotta legend ti, 2008 fit chase dehart

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i run a bike shop.. i'm poor. but i have an apartmetn full of sweet bikes

and yea its a bike shop so lucky me!!!
Old 08-07-08, 12:54 PM
Sifu
is kungfulicious

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Homemaker. My "commuting" is running errands with the kids - soon to be an all-bicycle task once I finish building my Big Dummy.
Old 08-07-08, 12:55 PM
andrelam

Bikes: Gerry Fisher Nirvana, LeMond Buenos Aires

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am an IT Manager at a school for Autistic kids. I have enough space on the side of my office to park my bike (right under the large whiteboard). The programmer analyst who sits at a desk in my office part time thankfully isn't bothered by it. My co-worker keeps his bike behind him at his desk, against the wall and funny thing... yet it too is right below a large white board. I guess the only spaces in our office are that doesn't have either a door, a desk, or file cabinet has a large white board. We just move the bike out of the way is we need to do some serious "chalk talking."

The school does have showers but they are not allowed to be used by staff. I don't think any of the doors have locks. There may also be some other regulations that affect our inability to use it. Frankly it doesn't matter much. I just keep my cycling cloths on for 30 to 45 minutes till I am definitely done sweating. I then just change into clean cloths. If the day has been especially humid and warm I'll apply some fresh deoderant. The cycling cloths smell slightly when I put them on for the trip home, but I don't and that is what realy matters.

Happy riding,
André
Old 08-07-08, 12:57 PM
cg1985
Goon

Bikes: Rocky Mountain RC30, Soma Sport Fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sifu
Homemaker. My "commuting" is running errands with the kids - soon to be an all-bicycle task once I finish building my Big Dummy.
sifu... teacher?
Old 08-07-08, 12:59 PM
charly17201

Bikes: RANS Formula LE, Giant Escape 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lead Driver/Yard Supervisor, Truck Driver, backup Dispatcher/Planner/CSR..... A little bit of everything trucking
Old 08-07-08, 01:04 PM
Tylox
n00b

Bikes: 2007 Trek 7500 Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By day, I work at an IRB, review research protocols, uphold human subject rights, and manage a panel of doctors at a very well known university.

At night, I turn into a computer geek .
Old 08-07-08, 01:04 PM
bhop

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Jamis Sputnik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Graphic Designer. 13 miles to work one way. I take a sink-shower when i get to work and change outta my sweaty clothes and into fresh shorts (if it's hot, jeans if not) and tee shirt. The boss insisted I bring my bike inside when she saw me locking it up outside the 2nd time I rode to work. I drape my sweaties on my bike to dry by the end of the day for the ride home.

I'm trying to convince the art director to get a bike since he only lives a few miles away, he's considering it. Another co-worker rode her bike in once, but I think she was put off by the hills between her house and work since she rides a fixie. *shrug*
Old 08-07-08, 01:06 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Liked 4,301 Times in 1,584 Posts
I'm a software engineer. (I suppose I develop the kind of bad software pinkrobe makes people feel good about. )

My company has a relatively incredible amount of bike parking (I would guess you could squeeze around 200 bikes into the racks around the 5 building campus where I work) and they've recently added more. We have showers and half-size lockers available for "day use" (i.e. not permanently assigned).

Software engineer is in many ways the ideal job for bike commuting because we have flexible hours and being smelly or dressing funny aren't considered to be outside the norm.
Old 08-07-08, 01:06 PM
JeffS
not a role model

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
IT Manager for a software vendor. Spending most of my day either on conference calls, or waiting for processes to complete leaves me too much time to waste on BF.

Oddly enough, I'm the person who runs the web monitoring/filtering software.
Old 08-07-08, 01:08 PM
Mr. Underbridge

Bikes: 2003 Giant OCR2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Scientist, aka "Professional Nerd." I come up with programs that learn patterns from big datasets.

I have a small office to myself, so I park the bike in it. We have a shower as well for when I'm particularly skanky.

To the OP - if they won't even let you have a small personal fan, sheesh. Sounds like a really miserable work environment.
Old 08-07-08, 01:08 PM
ok_commuter
bulletproof tiger

Bikes: Waterford 2200, Litespeed Tuscany, Salsa La Cruz, Kona Fire Mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Itsjustb
Jeebus, for the apps I use that would be a full-time job for an army of people. In fact, <small rant> for the last few months I've been forced to use a web-development app called "Plumtree" and it's the biggest p.o.s. I've ever used. I've used freeware apps that were more reliable, easier, and feature-rich than this thing.</rant>

I'm a Microsoft Word guru for a large pharma company.
Wow, plumtree used to be a POS accounting sw. Now it's a POS web dev sw?

Good to know they're maintaining the brand equity...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.