Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Fog Advisory!!!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Fog Advisory!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-08, 07:20 PM
dclaryjr
Gray Haired Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fog Advisory!!!

That's what's rolling along the crawl on the tube right now. I live less than a half mile from the coast and when we get fog, it's BAD! I'm a little apprehensive about heading out at oh-dark-thirty in the soup. Any related experience out there? Is my apprehension warranted?

FYI, my visibility suite consist of helmet mounted Romisen flashlight, a PBSF and NiteRider blinker, a reflective vest, and some reflective tape on my tailbox.
Old 12-17-08, 07:32 PM
mackerel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding in fog is an otherworldly experience.
Your apprehension is well warranted.
Mount a fog horn on your bike.
Old 12-17-08, 08:45 PM
Bat22
Didn't make it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I carry a whistle that has a compass on one side,
Temperature gauge on the other and a pull
out magnifier in case I gotta look at a chart
er, I mean map!
Old 12-18-08, 03:17 AM
CommuterRun
Conservative Hippie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't like riding in fog or heavy rain because of the limited visibility for drivers. That's not to say I haven't done it and won't do it again, but, like you, I'm apprehensive about riding in these weather conditions.
Old 12-18-08, 05:50 AM
chrism32205

Bikes: Bianchi Axis (commuter), Specialized Tricross S-Works, BMC Team Machine SLT01, Mercier Kilo TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree.. I didnt ride yesterday because of it.. heck I couldnt even see on the bike..much less in a car.
Old 12-18-08, 06:10 AM
linux_author
370H-SSV-0773H

Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
same here this morning - cloudy and foggy - no clearing predicted until noon...

will make for a nice cool morning ride - high of 80F today with lots of sunshine this afternoon...
Old 12-18-08, 06:43 AM
iflyskyhawks

Bikes: 2006 Felt F75, 2005 Gary Fisher Tassajara

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Canceled my commute this morning due to a "widespread dense fog" advisory. I reasoned that even with all the lights I have on my bike, it's a struggle to have drivers see me on GOOD visibility days.

Remember, you're competing with phone calls, texting and other attention-robbing driver conditions.

I think I'd ride with fog that has a mile or two visibility but just can't justify the risk when there are reports of visibilities that are only 100-300 feet!
Old 12-18-08, 06:50 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Fog sucks. We've had heavy fog all week, and it's very uncommon around here. I rode to work in it yesterday and it was terrible. I had to wipe off the lenses on my glasses about every 1/2 mile to be able to see ahead of me, and that's not even considering the effect on drivers. I drove today.
Old 12-18-08, 08:14 AM
harleyfrog
An Army of Fred

Location: Lost South of Nowhere East of Edan On the Waterfront Far from the Madding Crowd (Biloxi, MS)

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads Trail

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Geez, I must be the only one here that digs the fog. Of course, my route takes me off most of the major roads, but short of being in the mountains, how often do you get to ride with her head literally in the clouds? I think as long as you have good lighting, dress for visibility, and keep your wits about you, you should be okay.

What I hate (both on bike and in a car) are motorists who drive around in the fog without their headlights on, especially ones that drive white or silver cars; freaking ghosts. (Morons. May the fleas of a thousand camels set up housekeeping in your underwear.) Sorry, small rant there.

The most annoying part of riding in the fog is condensation on my glasses; have to stop every ten to fifteen minutes to wipe them clean.
Old 12-18-08, 08:23 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Liked 356 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by dclaryjr
Is my apprehension warranted?
I think so. I have no words for how much I hate fog - car or bike. I wear glasses all of the time too, so fog just blinds me by covering the lenses. I can actually see good enough without them to bike in the daylight, but at dark...

Then there is the visibility issue for motorists approaching from behind. Normally they might just move over into the other lane to pass me, but if they can't see the other lane, I am in for a close pass. Did I mention slick roads?

Fog is horrible.
Old 12-18-08, 08:26 AM
DallasSoxFan
Scan Me

Bikes: 2009 Trek 2.3, 2010 Specialized Secteur Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I handled it this morning by putting fresh batteries in and setting the flashlight on siezure mode (strobe).

I'm at a keyboard and not in a ditch, I guessed it worked.
Old 12-18-08, 10:31 AM
dclaryjr
Gray Haired Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I decided that discretion was the better part of valor in this case--I took the VW. It turns out most of my route would have been ok but there was one section where it was very thick. Tomorrow should be better.
Old 12-20-08, 06:01 AM
Jonahhobbes
Gutter Bunny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm with Harleyfrog I love riding in fog. The only drawback is having a powerful front beam, it can cause a whiteout type experience so I just set my helmet mounted light on a lower setting.