Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Jannd Front and Back Racks

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-10, 10:30 AM
ezdoesit

Bikes: Fuji Touring 2008

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Hello everyone,
I am thinking of buying back and front racks for my 2008 Fuji Touring bike for self contained touring and I am thinking about going with Jannd:
here is the websites to look at:
https://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FREXP
https://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FRLOW

the first one is the back rack and the second one is the front rack.
Anyone here use these ? And can you give me any pro's and con's for this company ?
The price is right with a coupon, but before I pull the trigger I wanted to ask

Thank you for your time.
Old 09-30-10, 10:47 AM
rockpilex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ezdoesit I've used both those racks they are fine. If you go to the pg 3 of the specials section of the Jandd website you will see rear rack on sale for $62.95, and front $43.95 Best of luck Gareth
Old 09-30-10, 10:49 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts
though aluminum they're relatively heavy.

I like Tubular steel racks, Bruce Gordon's on 1 bike ,
has gotten decades of use, Tubus on another, whole bike is relatively new. 5 years.

You might look at Surly 'Nice Racks' too .. they are also steel tube ..
Old 09-30-10, 11:39 AM
bktourer1

Bikes: Diamondback "parkway" Spec. "expedition

Liked 49 Times in 39 Posts
I only have 1 rear rack, and the Expedition rear has yet to fail me. I like the long wide platform and plenty of spots to hook a bungee if necessary
Old 09-30-10, 11:59 AM
LeeG

Liked 88 Times in 71 Posts
problem with the front rack is that the top back portion of the rack hits the down tube when the bars swing around, on my LHT it would hit the derailleur cable brazeons/ferrules which with loaded panniers could smash the adjuster barrel. Consider looking at the IRD version of the Jandd rack or other types.
Old 09-30-10, 11:29 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
I toured with this front rack and am happy with it.

https://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FREXT
Old 10-01-10, 02:06 AM
Camel
Caffeinated.

Bikes: Waterford 1900, Quintana Roo Borrego, Trek 8700zx, Bianchi Pista Concept

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like Jandd...Haven't used there front lowrider though.

I started a year tour with front & rear Jandd expedition racks, waterporoof panniers & a handlebar bag. The front rack was relatively new at the time, but the rear I had used for a few years allready. The rear rack failed after a few months on that tour, but it was there old style which had known design flaw(s). I was really heavily loaded though. I'm happy with the use I got out of that rack, and would use there new rear in the future if I have a need.

I really like the front expedition rack with its platform & the option to load bags high or low.
Old 10-01-10, 07:51 AM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My wife and I both have Jandd racks. She has had one on the back of her mountain bike for many years. I put an Extreme (the one with the platform) on the front of my LHT a couple of years ago. Both are solid, well-made products. I trust Jandd.
Old 10-01-10, 09:47 AM
cbike

Bikes: Surly LHT (weekend ride & touring), GT Outpost (commuting), Brompton M6R (Weekend tours that involve flying), Co-Motion Periscope Torpedo (family weekend ride & touring)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those are exactly the racks that I and my wife have on our mountain bikes for several years and liked them. Now I'm in the process of deciding if I will go with steel ones (probably Tubus) or these aluminum racks for my new bike. The nice part of the aluminum is that I don't have to worry about rust caused by scratching up the rack. This happens quite a bit since I have the older Arkle bags with the aluminum hangers and rotating latch.
Old 10-01-10, 10:55 AM
benda18

Bikes: LHT + FreeRadical

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have an expedition rear rack and love it. commute daily with it and have done a couple short tours. the only problem i've had with mine (it's very minor) is that jandd didn't appear to prime the surface before painting; the black paint is flaking off at pannier contact points. so what though?
Old 10-01-10, 05:37 PM
EasyEd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the jandd extreme front rack. Very well made. No problems with it. I also use a set of their mountain panniers for commuting. Also well made.
Old 10-01-10, 06:04 PM
NeilGunton
Crazyguyonabike

Bikes: Co-Motion Divide

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I really like the Jandd Expedition rear rack. Nice long platform, and solid. The only downside is that it isn't quite as laterally rigid as the Tubus, since it doesn't incoporate any triangulation into the design (that's where, if you look at the Tubus racks from the rear, the side struts seem to slope inward as they go up, so if you continued the lines upward you would make a triangle... this gives better side-to-side rigidity than the simple straight-up box design of the Jandd, at least in theory). Even so, the Jandd Expedition is a really nice, solid rack, I've used one for years on my commuter/mountain bike (Kona Lava Dome). I wouldn't hesitate to trust those racks, though my current favorite is the Tubus Cosmo (stainless steel, so no rust there either) and Nova for the front.

Neil
Old 10-03-10, 09:26 AM
robow

Liked 304 Times in 208 Posts
You can buy the same exact rear rack from IRD for $43.

https://store.interlocracing.com/accessories.html
Old 10-03-10, 09:46 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
I just purchased the Jandd Expedition front and rear racks, from the clearance center and they look brand new to me.

I have not got them mounted yet, but based on the abuse the last one took I expect them to do just fine. I really like the front platforms for my touring bikes, it gives you a great place to stick things. I plan on strapping my small tent onto the Jandd as part of my load plan.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 10-03-10, 09:01 PM
Kip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've used the Jandd rear rack for about four years and it has served me well.
Old 10-03-10, 10:28 PM
parecon89

Bikes: Surly LHT, Giant Defy 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a front Jannd Extreme Rack on my 54cm LHT, but I'm a little ambivalent about it.

The platform is nice, it looks tough and it feels pretty solid.

But it's also fairly heavy for a front rack - 1 kg, though less than a Surly Nice. And on my LHT, the back corners of the rack restrict the maximum steering angle. The only way to get around this is to make a spacer to lower the rack an inch or two. But you can't do this with a front fender, the rack will be too low.

Also, the rack is too wide for the forks, meaning the screws they supply are too short. So you need to make rubber spacers and then source your own screws with a suitable thread.

Also, it is nearly impossible to remove my front wheel from in between the rack. Because the rack's tubing ends below the Quick-release skewer, you can't really remove the wheel without removing the bottom screws of the rack either. Immensely annoying.

If I didn't want the platform so much I would probably just get a Tubus duo, which is considerably lighter and a fundamentally stronger design.
Old 10-03-10, 11:31 PM
NeilGunton
Crazyguyonabike

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by parecon89
If I didn't want the platform so much I would probably just get a Tubus duo, which is considerably lighter and a fundamentally stronger design.
I don't know what you want to carry on the top platform, but have you considered combining the Duo with a Rivendell Mark's Rack?

https://www.rivbike.com/products/show...k-nitto/20-108

I had that setup (Duo + Mark's Rack) on my Salsa Fargo, no problems that I recall, and I also have a Mark's Rack currently on my Rocky Mountain Sherpa 10. They are not made for carrying heavy weights, but you probably don't want to be carrying all that much weight up there anyway - a few pounds, enough capacity to put a light tent or sleeping bag (I would think - haven't actually toured with one yet). You do need a hole for the top bolt at the front of the bottom of the head tube. You can use the same mid-fork holes as the Duo for the lower bolts on the Mark's.

This is a nice way to get the best of both worlds - choose whichever low rider rack you like, and get a nice top platform too.

Neil
Old 10-03-10, 11:40 PM
zeppinger

Bikes: Giant FCR3, Surly LHT

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
+1 to Neil's idea. I used to have a Jandd Extreme front rack and the top rails got bent from hitting my down tube. It was annoying I could not get my front wheel to come off, and the flaking paint was ugly as sin with just a few weeks of use. Why bother painting it black if it flakes so easily? Why not just make it a silver rack?

I use a Tubus Tara and Marks rack on my LHT. A little more expensive but much lighter, stronger, and more versatile.
Old 10-04-10, 10:06 AM
LeeG

Liked 88 Times in 71 Posts
on my 56cm 26" wheeled LHT I put a OMM sherpa front rack on the the eyelets at the top of the dropouts. I simply removed the entire axle attachment assembly on the rack and used a few washers to space the struts out from the fork blades then used the mid fork attachment to secure the rack side to side. The platform sits right down on the fender providing as low a platform as possible but plenty of room for fat tires. The panniers are positioned back a little so they just touch the cantilevers but it doesn't interfere with them or appear to cause any rubbing. Works great for me and the platform position for the panniers doesn't upset the handling anywhere as much as it did on the 700c LHT.
Old 10-04-10, 03:50 PM
pasopia

Bikes: soma double cross DC, giant reign

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used a jannd expedition rear rack for a number of years, and it worked well. It's really heavy though, about 350g more than the Tubus Cargo. That's a significant amount of weight to me. I think Tubus racks are worth the extra cost. Also in the off chance you break your rack, which does happen, it will be easier to field repair a steel rack.

https://whileoutriding.wordpress.com/...pair-chetumal/
Old 10-04-10, 05:02 PM
Camel
Caffeinated.

Bikes: Waterford 1900, Quintana Roo Borrego, Trek 8700zx, Bianchi Pista Concept

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
...Also, it is nearly impossible to remove my front wheel from in between the rack. Because the rack's tubing ends below the Quick-release skewer, you can't really remove the wheel without removing the bottom screws of the rack either. Immensely annoying...
Would switching from quick releases to those allen head type skewers help? Those are the kind I use on my tour/commute bike. Space is tight, but I can remove the front wheel. Not sure if I could use qr skewers or not.
Old 10-04-10, 06:21 PM
ezdoesit

Bikes: Fuji Touring 2008

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Even tho I started this post asking about the Jannd products I am now leaning more toward
the Tubs racks the rear Logo and front Tara.
To me they look like a much better made racks plus I like the option of the lower pannier Mont on the back rack-Logo.

So any comments either good or bad pro or con would be much appreciated and thank you for your time.
Old 10-04-10, 06:23 PM
NeilGunton
Crazyguyonabike

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I'd take a look at the Tubus Cosmo and Nova - stainless steel, and the Nova has a better shape for panniers than the Tara in my opinion, and the Cosmo is better than the Logo as well. You can get good prices from wiggle.co.uk, free shipping to California took 4 days for me.
Old 10-04-10, 06:49 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts
Have Tubus ergo and logo racks on my Koga Miyata .
they're reasonably light and chromoly tube strong.
Old 10-05-10, 10:09 PM
parecon89

Bikes: Surly LHT, Giant Defy 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NeilGunton
I don't know what you want to carry on the top platform, but have you considered combining the Duo with a Rivendell Mark's Rack?

https://www.rivbike.com/products/show...k-nitto/20-108

I had that setup (Duo + Mark's Rack) on my Salsa Fargo, no problems that I recall, and I also have a Mark's Rack currently on my Rocky Mountain Sherpa 10. They are not made for carrying heavy weights, but you probably don't want to be carrying all that much weight up there anyway - a few pounds, enough capacity to put a light tent or sleeping bag (I would think - haven't actually toured with one yet). You do need a hole for the top bolt at the front of the bottom of the head tube. You can use the same mid-fork holes as the Duo for the lower bolts on the Mark's.

This is a nice way to get the best of both worlds - choose whichever low rider rack you like, and get a nice top platform too.

Neil
Hi Neil,

Thanks for the suggestion - in hindsight going Tubus Duo for the lowriders and a Nitto or similar top rack would have been a nicer solution.

I think I got a bit carried away dreaming up all the uses for the front platform. In reality I'm not going to cart a box of beer on there very often because it's a bad place to put the weight. As you say, it's really just a place for a small tent.

CGOAB has been an inspiration to me btw, thanks so much.

Cheers,
Paul

Last edited by parecon89; 10-05-10 at 10:12 PM. Reason: clarification

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.