Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Anyone ever hear of issues with 3T Apto Team stems? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1232814)

FrznTek 06-16-21 06:11 AM

Anyone ever hear of issues with 3T Apto Team stems?

I bought 3 of them from chainreactioncycles.com recently (not totally sure what size I need). I figured I could sell the 2 I don't need when I figure it out... or keep them, it was a good enough deal. But now 2 of the 3 faceplate (the screws thread in to the faceplate.) stripped with 5.3 newton meters of torque. I'm not sure I'm confident in trying the 3rd.
I even bought the Apto stem tool from them, reasonably priced.... but $20 shipping for that small tool in a 6"x9" padded envelope just to go from one side of the USA to the other was ridiculous. (but I thought I needed it :/)

I probably shouldn't worry. but now I'm questioning 3T quality and I also bought a Superergo team (Carbon) drops and a "Palladio LTD 280mm Carbon Seatpost".

I did send them a message on their web site, so we'll see what they say or do.

This seems weird to me, so has anyone heard/had an issue with the Apto team stems?

SilverRubicon 06-16-21 06:39 AM

Do you happen to know the accuracy of the torque wrench? 5.3Nm is above the the suggested 5Nm for the stem bolts.

FrznTek 06-16-21 07:56 AM

IDK it's a Craftsman microtork made in the USA (to what ever extent that matters) with oz in on one side and newton meters on the other. To be clear it's the aluminum of the face plate that stripped.

according to a quick google search "±4 percent" mine is from the early to mid 2000's (barely used) IDK if the acuracy has changed on newer models or not.

blamester 06-16-21 08:13 AM

Well obviously that's too much torque. So what do 3t recommend? I don't use a torque wrench on a bike. But i am carefull.
I torque up a little and check will the handlebar move. If it does move i torque a little more.
Don't tighten one bolt up all the way. Tighten in stages going from one bolt to the next.
I always use the short end of the allen key to put on the intial torque so everything is even to begin with and not over done.
Keep an eye on the gaps between the faceplate and the stem. Nice and even all the way around.
Like you have found out just because you used a torque wrench doesn't mean it is correct. The torque wrench should be used for confirmation not to actually torque the part. And the torque wrench and value applied need to be correct.
​​​​​​​You could also have defective parts.

Crankycrank 06-16-21 08:53 AM

Your torque wrench could very well be out of adjustment being that old even though barely used if it was dropped or misused in any way or just off to begin with. I have a USA made Craftsman clicker from a little over 20 years ago that started going off after only about 4 uses, I would have stripped a cylinder head if not for my experience sensing more force than was marked on the torque wrench was being applied. Nothing against old Craftsmen products but torque wrenches can go out of calibration for various reasons. Of course it could be a dud stem too. I agree with blamester's advice in post #4 as well.

FrznTek 06-16-21 11:19 PM

Well, they got back to me with what seems like a 'that sucks bro'

"Thank you for reaching out, we are sorry to hear about the damaged faceplate.

If the bolts on the Apto faceplate are not set correctly it is possible to strip the threads. We recommend the use of a 4mm hex ball end tool to start threading the bolts into the faceplate and reach torque with the Apto torque wrench adaptor.
"

I have never had this issue with stems before, so IDK. Maybe the torque wrench is out of calibration. it has only been used like 8 times and kept in it's box other wise. None of the other bolts on my bike including the ones holding the stem to the searer tube have had an issue. (Maybe I'm lucky?)

Replacement faceplates are a little over $14, I might have bought one, or two even... if it wasn't for the ridiculous $20 shipping.
Didn't even offer to help out and offer the 30% off crash replacement that they offer on their parts. *shrugs

I'm going to have to decide if I'm going to sell the last Apto stem and just buy a different stem or try the last faceplate.

jadocs 06-17-21 07:29 AM

Torque wrench has to be out of whack or it was set incorrectly. 5.3 Nm is not a lot, on the other hand if the wrench was wrong it should have been easily felt if you were going too tight.

BCDrums 06-17-21 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by FrznTek (Post 22104273)
I bought 3 of them from chainreactioncycles.com recently (not totally sure what size I need). I figured I could sell the 2 I don't need when I figure it out...I even bought the Apto stem tool from them, reasonably priced.... but $20 shipping for that small tool in a 6"x9" padded envelope just to go from one side of the USA to the other was ridiculous. (but I thought I needed it :/)

Not sure what you mean about shipping across the country. CRC is in the UK. Unless you are too!

Is it this stem? 3T Apto Pro Stem 2018 I just bought one from CRC for low money. It is marked for 5 Nm torque, but I didn't use a torque wrench, went by feel.

Originally Posted by FrznTek (Post 22105690)
"If the bolts on the Apto faceplate are not set correctly it is possible to strip the threads. We recommend the use of a 4mm hex ball end tool to start threading the bolts into the faceplate and reach torque with the Apto torque wrench adaptor. "

Because the bolts thread into the faceplate from the stem body side, it's hard to get a hex wrench into the bolt head, so I can see the danger of cross-threading and then stripping.

If you bought three stems, can you not just use another faceplate and write off one of the stems?

BTW, I bought this inexpensive stem from Amazon for $11 (it was a return), worked just fine.

Good luck.

Crankycrank 06-17-21 08:07 AM

Try your LBS to see if they can order the faceplate and skip the shipping costs. Looks like retail is around $15 so worth a try. I noticed they give instructions to start the bolts with a ball end wrench and then you need the socket extension to get a straight shot with a torque wrench. Seems like a bunch of extra faff for clamping your bars. I'd trade them in for something else.

jadocs 06-17-21 08:11 AM

Are we talking about stripping the head or the threads? If the head, yeah then angle and proper tool bit play a role. If threads then we are talking about why it stripped at 5.3Nm torque.

Crankycrank 06-17-21 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by jadocs (Post 22105987)
Are we talking about stripping the head or the threads? If the head, yeah then angle and proper tool bit play a role. If threads then we are talking about why it stripped at 5.3Nm torque.

OP stated it's the threads in the faceplate that are stripped.

70sSanO 06-17-21 09:34 AM

Have you tried Amazon UK?

I needed to buy something that was from the UK and the shipping cost was nuts. The same item was on Amazon UK without the high shipping cost.

Because of that, I decided called up the UK supplier and was able to get the shipping down to a reasonable amount.

I forget what they called it, but it was for small items being shipped overseas.

John

FrznTek 06-17-21 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by jadocs (Post 22105923)
Torque wrench has to be out of whack or it was set incorrectly. 5.3 Nm is not a lot, on the other hand if the wrench was wrong it should have been easily felt if you were going too tight.

Yeah and it's on carbon bars which are fine, so it's not like it was crushing force or anything.

Originally Posted by BCDrums (Post 22105965)
Not sure what you mean about shipping across the country. CRC is in the UK. Unless you are too!

Is it this stem? 3T Apto Pro Stem 2018 I just bought one from CRC for low money. It is marked for 5 Nm torque, but I didn't use a torque wrench, went by feel.

Shipping that is ridiculous is direct form 3T, New York to me in California.

Chain Reaction is in the UK, but if you spend $100usd+ they ship free even all the way out here in Cali. Usually fast through DHL as well, <5 days on average. (over the 4 or 5 orders I have made in the last few years anyway.)

No I got the team variant. (next step up from the pro)

Because the bolts thread into the faceplate from the stem body side, it's hard to get a hex wrench into the bolt head, so I can see the danger of cross-threading and then stripping.

If you bought three stems, can you not just use another faceplate and write off one of the stems?

BTW, I bought this inexpensive stem from Amazon for $11 (it was a return), worked just fine.

Good luck.

I did buy 3... 2 stripped.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d086163aa9.jpg
That's the 3T Apto torque wrench adaptor and 4mm 1/4" drive alternative. (1/4" socket with 5" or 6" extension and screwdriver handle) before either one is used, the bolt has been started if not snugged up.

Originally Posted by 70sSanO (Post 22106080)
Have you tried Amazon UK?

I needed to buy something that was from the UK and the shipping cost was nuts. The same item was on Amazon UK without the high shipping cost.

Because of that, I decided called up the UK supplier and was able to get the shipping down to a reasonable amount.

I forget what they called it, but it was for small items being shipped overseas.

John

I haven't looked yet, but through my google search or 2, it seems 3T direct is the only one who has the faceplates.

Bill in VA 06-18-21 01:31 AM

The best way to kill click torque wrench accuracy is to leave it set on a weight. They should always be returned to zero after use. Some have a marking called rest instead of zero..