MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10217 Post(s)
Liked 5,927 Times in 3,194 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
Been to a few docs about my T2 - all of them basically said the same thing. The disease is progressive, you will be on meds for the rest of your life, and you will need more meds. Eat the ADA recommended 60 grams of carbs per meal (which would send my BG's into the 500+ range), buy these test strips and meter, test 12x per day, take this metformin, stick yourself with insulin, both long and short acting, as needed to counteract the carbs - but carry these sugar tablets incase you go low - going low can kill you... or, buy this $$$$ insulin pump and it will do the work for you. And you will need more insulin over time as the disease progresses.

The internet - yep, the internet - helped with not only the side effects of meds - it helped explain the mechanisms behind the disease and how it isn't necessarily progressive and that you may not need meds at all.

5+ years free of any meds and T2 (remission) - from BG's in the 400+/A1C of 12 range to normal numbers - because of what I read on the internet.
For better or worse, providers treat what they see, and that's a sick population where major behavioral modification is extremely difficult. Guys like you are outliers.

As for the internet, you certainly seem to have filtered out the nonsense and put good info to good use. It would nice if this were more common than I think it is.
Likes For MoAlpha: