Old 02-18-20, 10:19 PM
missinglink

Bikes: 2013 Marin Redwood - 2015 Specialized Allez Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 26 Posts
This is an interesting discussion.
My PCP started me on a low dose statin over two years ago. This past fall I began to have odd symptoms. It started with hip discomfort and stiffness in my hamstrings. A couple of weeks later, my lower back became stiff and sore. This went on for around two months. I then began having shoulder discomfort as well. One shoulder worse than the other. When I plugged these various symptoms into a net search I came up with polymyalgia. Known as PMR for short.

After trying various OTC meds with no relief, I went to see my PCP about it. He agreed that PMR was likely the cause of the discomfort, but my blood work showed no signs that I should (or did) have PMR. He prescribed a 30 day round of Prednisone which cleared the symptoms up within a week. Within a week of the last dose of Prednisone, the symptoms began returning, so he referred me to a rheumatologist.

The rheumatologist prescribed another round of Prednisone, with a followup in 30 days. During the visit he asked about other meds I was taking. When he heard I was on a statin, he insisted I stop taking them asap. That they could cause these symptoms. Time will tell. My followup visit is in April. I should be weaning off the Prednisone again by then.
Just seems odd that statins could cause this after going two years with no problems.
Likes For missinglink: