Old 02-20-20, 10:29 AM
missinglink

Bikes: 2013 Marin Redwood - 2015 Specialized Allez Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I had a similar experience, but a better rheumatologist, who quickly diagnosed PMR. Even though my blood work wasn't as bad as is typical of PMR, my sed rate was quite high. She put me on a year's prednisone program, gradually tapering down to 1mg from 30. That was about 2 years ago and it hasn't come back. My symptoms were identical to yours. I felt great all the way through my taper.

That your prednisone fixed you right up is considered diagnostic of PMR. The fact that we both discontinued our statin(s), can be seen as a confounding factor. There's a study out there somewhere which found that out of a hospital population of PMR sufferers, there were more statin-takers than statistics suggested. I don't see the benefit to you of starting and stopping the prednisone instead of following the usual prescribed taper. You could look at a second opinion or ask that question of your current rheumatologist.

Oddly enough, a fellow cyclist in his early 60s came down with PMR soon after I did. He was not on a statin and PMR is unusual in people that young. So I wonder about stress on the adrenals which cycling might cause. He and I both ride a lot, and hard. His rheumotologist also prescribed a taper, but of only 6 months.

My understanding is that PMR is essentially a lack of a corticosteroid which is necessary for recovery. The replacement by an exogenous corticosteroid somehow kick starts the production again, though the mechanism of that is unknown and counterintuitive.
First, Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences. Very helpful.

I'd like to clarify my predsisone use regarding the taper down, now that I have my notes in front of me.
My PCP started me on 10mg Jan3rd this year. I'll copy/past his note to me:

"Inflammation markers in normal range.
We will try the low dose prednisone at 10 mg and see if this helps. If symptoms resolve then yes this is polymyalgia rheumatica.
Take 10 mg for the next three weeks, then cut to 1/2 pill for one week then discontinue."

My referral appt to the Rheumatologist was feb13th. His instructions were 10mg of Predsinone for 6 weeks, then 1/2 dose until my followup visit on April 9th.
Since my previous post, I've received a call saying that my blood work done my the Rheumatologist also came back showing all Inflammation markers in normal range.

So, the taper down is happening (10 to 5 mg), and I now have a better understanding of it's purpose.
I'm currently feeling about 95% 'normal". The only discomfort remaining is in right shoulder.

On a somewhat bizarre observation - I've noticed that the symptoms (with or without Predsinone) rise and fall with cold and warm weather. In my area of north central Texas this time of year, we tend to go from 60s-70s to 30s-40s on an almost weekly basis it seems.

Lastly, I'd like to apologize for any 'thread drift' I may have caused from statin use.