MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,873 Times in 3,161 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Hey @MoAlpha, did you see my cramp posting earlier? I am confident that the cramps I get periodically (including yesterday) are what they classify as "muscle fatigue" cramps. I kinda DON'T think they are an electrolyte or hydration problem, as I have had hotter rides, longer rides, and borderline dehydration rides with NO cramps. These are cramps that come on several hours into a HARD ride. But once they hit, I have a tough time continuing to ride, even at a reduced effort. I know some studies say this is not really a "muscle" problem per se but a nerve issue, and the latest treatments/elixirs are targeted towards certain semi-caustic agents that cause a reflex response to the motor neurons. I have not tried anything and would prefer to PREVENT the cramps, but treatment is also a consideration.

Any thoughts?
Sorry, I missed your earlier post.

The association in the lay and clinical mind between dehydration/electrolyte problems and exercise-related cramps is as tenacious as it is meritless. As you suggest, current theory is that the mechanism has something to do with a fatigue-related imbalance between the inputs to the spinal segment of a. the tendon organs, which sense muscle tension, and b. the muscle spindles, which sense muscle length. The spinal circuit responds to tendon organ input by inhibiting the motor output to the muscle (reducing tension) and to spindle input with activation (reducing length), as in the knee jerk. In cramps, the influence of the tendon organs seems to be reduced and the muscle output becomes hyperexcitable.

All I’ve seen as far as prevention is concerned is stretching (meh) and optimizing one’s mechanics (duh). Since cramps are associated with (relative) deconditioning, you can also try to HTFU.

I had the mother and father of a hamstring cramp today, just as I was settling down for a nice nap.