View Single Post
Old 07-22-19, 10:22 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by tarsi
Sorry about the cross-link but thought members here might be interested in my ad below. Ride on!

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ike-trade.html

Love the set up on these bikes. The right balance, the braze-ons, the feel lightly loaded is great fun. Because I do need the big frame but trek apparently didn't change the tubing specs for a big frame, I really hate the big frame for heavy touring. Please, don't get all up in my face. I obviously have never ridden the med or small frame. They may be the greatest ever made, it's just the 63cm 720 I know isn't for me. I love a straight gauge old Univega or Miyata even with no braze-ons loaded to the near gills. Whatever weight is saved by using thin tubing is great fun for light or credit card touring but used as a beast of burden with the ability to "roll," when conditions are available. (ie. tailwinds, long down hill or flats), not so much.
As time matches on I've grown into a slightly smaller frame. 'Dales are my favorite but I stumbled onto a Klein Performance in the perfect size and with a few modest changes in gearing it fills the bill.