View Single Post
Old 10-05-19, 07:31 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by boomhauer
I found it impossible to move the axle all the way to the front unless the number of chain links are just right. I did have to by a special disc brake adapter (not from Surly) to mount my Shimano Hydraulic disc brakes. It was somewhat frustrating to find this out, but once mounted I love my hydraulic brakes. I guess I'm not exactly sure what you are referencing here. The mounting thingy to the frame?

I found the monkey nuts that came with the troll somewhat useless. If I take out one too many links there isn't enough room for the monkey nuts.....if I have one more the Rohloff hub starts to fall out the back.
Thanks to Alan , I've now realized the Tugnut is the answer to my problem.....which is.... over time, the hub starts to move forward.

I love the Troll but it is my first bike I had to build myself. It was certainly a learning experience but the goal was to have a bike that I could ride without much maintenance ....since I hate maintenance. It is worth the initial trouble.
The Tuggnut works well without the Monkey Nuts. The Monkey Nuts may actually make it more difficult to get the chain off if the wheel can’t go forward enough. In addition to initial chain tension, as the chain wears, you can make small adjustments to keep correct tension with the Tuggnut.