View Single Post
Old 06-04-20, 05:00 PM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by dirtman
Not sure on the fenders. The fender braces are solid aluminum, sort of half round in shape. The sheetmetal is identical to a painted set on any other Raleigh or Raleigh built bike with one exception, these are 3mm wider overall. The small chrome tip is the same as well.
The chainguard is a cheap Wald replacement, not sure why, its got two tabs up front for the hockey stick shaped Raleigh guard on it.
I pumped up the tires again and for some reason they held air this time, when I pumped them up yesterday when I first brought it home they were flat in a few hours. They seem to be fine now a day later though.
They need to be replaced, they're so dry rotted they crackle and crunch as you ride. The rear tire is shedding bits of rubber off the sidewalls leaving just patches of the inner cords.
The chrome looks like it'll clean up great and the wheels are pretty much perfect with the only issue being that the spokes are sort of black in color and it won't rub off. Its as if the zinc coating turned dark, mostly just on the rear wheel.
I removed the rusty, partially seized chain and stuck it in a bath of Evapo-Rust last night and by this afternoon it was rust free and every link was freed up. I hosed it off, blew it off with air and oiled it up. I'll have to go through the BB, Headset and hubs but so far its looking like decent bike.
I'm guessing someone likely took a 1971-72 Raleigh Sports frame set and built it up with the parts from something from 1965. Maybe a lesser brand like a Hercules, Robin Hood, or such.
The pump cleaned up pretty nice too, its got some pitting but its presentable and it still pumps are, although the hose isn't likely long for this world.
I may just strip the bike down and take all the chrome outside and hose it down with some wire wheel cleaner to brighten it up in a hurry, its faster than waiting for the Evapo-Rust to work and it leaves a much shinier result, you just have to get after it faster once its dry so it don't rust up right away.
Even the saddle is in decent shape, the cover is unripped, but I found the Brooks metal tag tied to the bottom of the inside of the saddle with some string.

The padded vinyl saddle is most like what you would see on a newer Sprite 10 speed, the fenders are still an unknown, the rims are Dunlop Endrick style, the rear hub is dated 2-65, and they didn't show brown as a paint option until 1970, and the tires are not Raleigh branded but Dunlop Sprite branded and likely older than the wheelset.
The kickstand is steel, its not Wald but similar, but marked "Made in England". I'm not sure if its just a sloppy poor design or just the wrong stand for the bike, it flips too far forward to be stable and if the handle bars flop over, the bike teeter's on falling over on the left side as it pivots around the stand with the back wheel nearly off the ground. It folds up nicely but goes too far forward and reaches too far outward. I may swap it for a twin leg center stand.

The same guy came back today with several piles of old bike parts, one is a 20 gallon trash can full or bike stems and kickstands, which are a combination of old road bike and British bike parts, and two old TV boxes full of old chrome British crank sets, and two 30 gallon kitchen trash cans full of miscellaneous used bike parts that have been bagged in super heavy zip lock bags and marked with various bike model names. He says there's likely going to be more, he's cleaning out some old garage somewhere but wouldn't say where. I gave him another bucket full of old cans. (I can keep trading old aluminum cans for bike parts for a long time, I've been saving aluminum cans for 30 years, there's a dozen or so 55 gallon barrels down back full of crushed cans).
I asked if there were any more bikes and he said there's a few hanging in the rafters he hasn't gotten to yet. I told him to bring any bike parts here before going to the scrap yard.

I'd tell that guy to keep coming by.