MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10190 Post(s)
Liked 5,897 Times in 3,177 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
It generally falls to me to plan the dinners and to cook them - my wife isn't terribly good in either of those capacities. I get downright frustrated with her in the kitchen - she just doesn't know how to move around in one and she's always getting in the way when she tries to help. I don't think that having two kids at home full-time during the summer is helping much in terms of variety, either. I've been itching to try new stuff but it's hard to scrape together the time and energy to think of meals, research recipes/ingredients and then get them on the table.
I always cooked, but the kitchen duties devolved on me completely during long run of years when I would pick up daughter at daycare and my wife would get home late and starved for baby time. Like you, I am also way more efficient and understand ingredients a little better, so it has worked out now for about 28 years. Where I fall down is in the area of imagination and research and my wife is great at finding recipes for me.

I have actually forgotten how hard it is to cook with kids and I’m ashamed of the ****e we used to eat when my daughter was small and picky. It helped to get her involved in cooking a bit, but we tended to default to the crap she would eat, viz, white food. She’s quite a good cook now and feeds her no-good boyfriend like a king.