View Single Post
Old 08-08-20, 08:10 AM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
It had a barely functioning Perry single speed hub (wartime?) so I swapped in a 60's F&S Duomatic with a 22 tooth cog and it's perfect for flat landing. Canadian 28" wheels which are equal to 700c.
Sachs coaster brakes are generally flawless and dependable or I wouldn't let the most important person in the world ride it. Yes the chain could break but it's a newish Renolds Coventry with master link and I assure you, Elizabeth rides slow and steady. At some point you've got to let someone take responsibility.
BTW, this is the same woman who decided that when we got pregnant with our first child, we'd need a vintage motorcycle. When the second child was conceived, we got another. Vintage motorcycle that is. Then vintage cars, houses, etc.
I also have a Raleigh fitted with a Duomatic hub.
Yes, a great hub and brake.
Not sure what size cog is on it.
I have a rear wheel w/ a Perry hub in the garage
Pretty sure it's a Canadian 28" (no markings)
with a matching front wheel.
Just waiting for a suitable frame.

I found a suitable rear caliper for this yesterday and finished it off.
Rides well but will likely invert the handle bars for a more upright riding position.
My back and my neck suggest this......