MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,160 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
From what I've experienced, big tires (like my 38s) can roll pretty fast on pavement, but I sure still feel their weight when [cliche alert!] spinning up. They just feel so piggish when trying to accelerate or climbing. I had to work considerably harder with the Haanjo on Wed to keep up with the group ride.
Yeah, that's probably what I'm experiencing. I am pretty oblivious to my interactions with the bike, except the pain coming from my ass, which probably contributes to my skepticism about "feel."

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Two notable "interactions" with auto drivers on today's short ride: one good, one bad.

The woman that was too old to be driving a Golf GTI? Bad. Stopped at a red light, on a 30mph stretch of road with no shoulder, and I'm sandwiched, an older woman in a 15-yr-old Toyota in front of me with the GTI behind. Light turns green and I stick on the slow-accelerating Toyota, a car length or two behind. Too-Old-for-a-GTI pulls up along side me in the center turn lane. Uh, hello? I'm not the one slowing you down and where in the hell do you think you're going to go, anyway? There's no room between me and the Toyota and you're not going to pass the Toyota in the turn lane on this road. The street widens and I move over in to the parking lane and she passes.

The good was a wife-beater wearin', tatted-up Bubba in a pick'em up. He was behind me and gaining, but it was apparent that I was going to hit the red light first. Saw him flip on his right turn signal, so I slid over to the left side of the lane so he could make his turn. He pulled up along side and, before turning, chatted for a bit. "Thanks so much for movin' over - I really appreciate it!" Yadda, yadda. I like nice Bubbas.
Interactions of the GTI lady type give me serious concern about the ability of people to project themselves 7 seconds into the future of a simple dynamic situation, an elemental function of the frontal lobe, which a smart dog can perform. And I am ready to weep whenever anyone is friendly to me on the bike, which I suppose is the other side of the berserker coin.
Likes For MoAlpha: