Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-18, 07:32 AM
BigChief

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
They weren't poorly made. After the TI buyout, quality did became less consistent, poor judgements were made and a line, similar to AMF buying Harley Davidson and CBS buying Fender did develop among roadster enthusiasts. Still, I'm grateful traditional roadsters were produced all through the 70s even if they weren't of the same quality and diversity of the earlier bikes. But this is why you will sometimes hear things like pre Raleigh Hercules and pre TI Raleigh.

Last edited by BigChief; 07-10-18 at 08:12 AM.
Old 07-10-18, 09:01 AM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 232 Posts
Spied this "Royal Scot" at the CVBS this past weekend. Sorry I got distracted and did not get a shot of the entire bike.
Old 07-10-18, 09:08 AM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Would the B67 be even better for the Raleigh Sport?

The 67 is wider, designed for more upright posture.
The B66 (double rail) or B67 (single rail) is a good choice for the Sports. I have felt comfortable on mine from the first day. Depends what your style is with different bikes. My Salsa adventure bike has a B17 and my old Dilecta road bike has a B17 Narrow.

B67 on my '71 Robin Hood.
Old 07-10-18, 10:22 AM
BigChief

Originally Posted by browngw
Spied this "Royal Scot" at the CVBS this past weekend. Sorry I got distracted and did not get a shot of the entire bike.
Interesting. That doesn't appear to be a Raleigh frame. Here's one I've had around for a long time. It is a typical Raleigh made light roadster with a 1964 hub date.

Old 07-10-18, 10:52 AM
Salubrious

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
Adding to BigChiefs post these are some of marques and dates taken from Sheldons pages

Humber, BSA, New Hudson 1932
Rudge-Whitworth 1943
Triumph 1954
Three Spires 1954
Sunbeam 1957
Phillips 1960
Hercules 1960
Norman 1960
Sun 1960
Carlton 1960
Dunelt 1960
Moulton 1967

There were many other smaller rebrands not listed here. Generally, the top tier bikes were Raleigh, Humber and Rudge. This doesn't imply that the others were poorly made.
I think the BSA date might be incorrect. Didn't TI pick them up in 1957?

Yes- that or a B72. You should try them both; each has their strengths. The B-72 is more efficient but the B66 is more comfortable.
Old 07-10-18, 11:00 AM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts

Posture is probably the key. If you like upright posture and a relatively low and forward saddle with less leg extension, a wider saddle would probably suit you better.

here's a picture of my first Raleigh Sports with a B17. I'm 5'6, so I ride that bike with some forward lean and the B17 works just fine for me. A wider saddle would give me trouble.
Old 07-10-18, 11:37 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2299 Post(s)
Liked 2,061 Times in 1,258 Posts
Originally Posted by Salubrious
I think the BSA date might be incorrect. Didn't TI pick them up in 1957?
Correct. BSA and New Hudson and Sunbeam. I did a bad cut-n-paste
Old 07-10-18, 04:01 PM
paulb_in_bkln

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Stretching the thread topic past recognition: Bromptons are English, and "classics," kind of. And it sounds like Jack's is a three-speed. One of his best shows, IMHO.

Cycletouring the Tour de France | The Bike Show - a cycling radio show and podcast from Resonance FM
Old 07-10-18, 05:35 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 483 Post(s)
Quoted: 3827 Post(s)
Liked 6,804 Times in 2,641 Posts
Relatively cheap Raleigh Twenty in the Boston area for those who are so inclined:

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bi...639358011.html

Old 07-10-18, 07:07 PM
BigChief

Originally Posted by browngw
The B66 (double rail) or B67 (single rail) is a good choice for the Sports. I have felt comfortable on mine from the first day. Depends what your style is with different bikes. My Salsa adventure bike has a B17 and my old Dilecta road bike has a B17 Narrow.

B67 on my '71 Robin Hood.
These saddles are really beautiful. Icing on the cake for a classy old British roadster. I prefer the B66/67s for upright riding too. The width in the back doesn't get in my way at all. And... I much prefer the frame mounted saddlebag loops to the B17 style eyelets cut into the leather.
Old 07-10-18, 11:04 PM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
Thanks for the replies and history lesson on my Raleigh “brands” question.
Old 07-11-18, 07:23 AM
BigChief

51 Rudge project update. Mudguards are finished. Now on to rebuilding components. Decided to start with the trigger shifter. Here's a typical situation. The case is bent outward toward the front. It needs to come apart to be straightened. It would still work like this, but it would always feel sloppy. It doesn't look like the bend is hard enough to crease the embossed and plated brass face plate. That's one of those things that you can never remove no matter how flat you get it. You would still see distortion in the shiny plating. This one looks OK. The colors in the embossed areas is still intact, but the chrome is covered in a thin oxidation. An overnight soak in Evapo-Rust will remove this. It will look almost new again and the colors won't be disturbed. The spring looks good, but I'll replace it anyway since I have a supply of NOS springs. The threaded ferrule was very crabby coming out, but the threads don't look stripped. I wish I could run a tap through, but it's almost certainly a British Standard thread I don't have a tap for. I'll clean up the threads somehow.

Old 07-11-18, 09:23 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 6015 Post(s)
Liked 962 Times in 736 Posts
I've got a question on my English 3-speed (part of a otherwise mostly Dutch bike). I put it here and not it in the bicycle mechanics section because I noticed there's quite a bit of specific SA knowledge here. It's got a Sturmey Archer AB hub and I want to change the entire brake including the plate, because the pivot bolt is loose from what is supposed to pivot around it .Does anyone know if the brake section is interchangeable with the AB/C hub? Because that entire brake plate (HSB315) is easy to find. Another question is whether there's any chance asbestos in it, it's little over 40 years old I guess but I didn't find any production year on it, and if so, how should I remove those parts safely?
Old 07-11-18, 10:34 AM
Buellster

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I'm eyeballing a huffy sportsman branded "made in England" on the downtube. Guy says $40 dollars and its mine. I dont know if I want to go for it.
Is this the internally geared hub model? Was this the time period when these frames where essentially raliegh with a huffy brand?
I like the idea of a three speed project but I'm not sure if it's worth getting into this particular one.
any help or advice would be great! Thanks!

Here it is best and only pic
Old 07-11-18, 03:01 PM
BigChief

This bike has a 21" frame which is fine if you're 5'10" or less. If you're taller, hold out for a 23". Just my opinion but...this bike has a twist grip shifter with a 3 speed coaster brake hub. I would hold out for a regular 3 speed hub with a trigger shifter and hand brakes.
Old 07-11-18, 03:35 PM
Buellster

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
This bike has a 21" frame which is fine if you're 5'10" or less. If you're taller, hold out for a 23". Just my opinion but...this bike has a twist grip shifter with a 3 speed coaster brake hub. I would hold out for a regular 3 speed hub with a trigger shifter and hand brakes.
6'2" over here.
That's more of what I'm hoping for. A trigger shifter would be lovely.
Not too many in Portland Oregon but they dont cost an arm and a leg when they do show up (usually).
Old 07-11-18, 04:43 PM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1030 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by Buellster
I'm eyeballing a huffy sportsman branded "made in England" on the downtube. Guy says $40 dollars and its mine. I dont know if I want to go for it.
Is this the internally geared hub model? Was this the time period when these frames where essentially raliegh with a huffy brand?
I like the idea of a three speed project but I'm not sure if it's worth getting into this particular one.
any help or advice would be great! Thanks!

Here it is best and only pic
The forks look a bit wonky on this one.
I'd pass unless you want a future parts bike.
Old 07-11-18, 04:58 PM
arty dave

Bikes: 30's Speedwell Club Racer, 40's Speedwell 'Z' racer, 50's Unknown Aussie with nice lugs, 50's Speedwell Roadster, 50's Repco Roadster, '63 Raleigh DL-1, 70's Raleigh Sprite, Puch Promenade with Nexus 8

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Stadjer
I've got a question on my English 3-speed (part of a otherwise mostly Dutch bike). I put it here and not it in the bicycle mechanics section because I noticed there's quite a bit of specific SA knowledge here. It's got a Sturmey Archer AB hub and I want to change the entire brake including the plate, because the pivot bolt is loose from what is supposed to pivot around it .Does anyone know if the brake section is interchangeable with the AB/C hub? Because that entire brake plate (HSB315) is easy to find. Another question is whether there's any chance asbestos in it, it's little over 40 years old I guess but I didn't find any production year on it, and if so, how should I remove those parts safely?

When you say the pivot bolt do you mean the part that the cable or rod connects to? That's a pivoting arm - Sturmey Archer label it as 'brake lever' which is most unhelpful You should be able to tighten it, but if the outside nut is spinning, take the whole brake section off so you can secure the inside side of the bolt with something while you tighten the outside nut. I had to make a spanner from a piece of 2-3mm mild steel because I couldn't get a regular spanner in the gap to hold the inner bolt. Edit - sorry, I'm describing how to tighten the pivot bolt that the 2 brake shoes pivot on. This might be what you mean? They call it a fulcrum pin, and sometimes this incorporates a cable stop. It takes me a while to wrap my head around their part names, and English is the only language I know

I have an AB on my Raleigh DL-1 - the AB is rod operated; the 'C' in AB/C stands for cable. You probably know this, just putting it here for anyone that doesn't.

The brake section is a standard size, and the shoes are also interchangeable. So whatever small parts you need to work with your bikes rod or cable, you can take from one and put on the other.

If you're suspecting asbestos, maybe wear some disposable nitrile or latex gloves and a breathing mask. Wipe out the shell with a damp cloth or paper and then dispose of it. Then you could use some brake cleaner on the shell too, there's usually a bit of hub oil that's made its way into the drum. That's the drawback with the older drum hubs, there's not really an adequate seal from the gear side into the brake side of the hub. Best not to lay the bike down on that brake side. Hope that helps

Last edited by arty dave; 07-11-18 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-11-18, 06:57 PM
BigChief

Originally Posted by Buellster
6'2" over here.
That's more of what I'm hoping for. A trigger shifter would be lovely.
Not too many in Portland Oregon but they dont cost an arm and a leg when they do show up (usually).
At 6'2" you positively need the taller 23" frame. There would be enough stem and seatpost adjustment to get a good leg extension and balance. It's easy to tell the size even by looking at the pictures in ads. Look at the head tube. Compare this 23" with the 21" bike in the ad.

And...at your height, you could easily ride a 24" framed DL-1 like this

Old 07-11-18, 07:41 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2299 Post(s)
Liked 2,061 Times in 1,258 Posts
Originally Posted by gster
The forks look a bit wonky on this one.
I'd pass unless you want a future parts bike.
Ditto on the fork. It's ~ '65 Raleigh Huffy. Pass. It's OK for parts if you're deep into 3 speeds but as a newbie, start with a better example
Old 07-11-18, 08:12 PM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1030 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
Ditto on the fork. It's ~ '65 Raleigh Huffy. Pass. It's OK for parts if you're deep into 3 speeds but as a newbie, start with a better example
Yes, as a first venture, tall frame, better condition. They're out there, you just have to find one.
You can still find nice examples for $125-$200.
You'll often seen His and Hers bikes for sale. Bought by a couple in the 70's,
ridden a few times and then stored in the basement.
Good luck.
Old 07-12-18, 01:59 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 6015 Post(s)
Liked 962 Times in 736 Posts
Originally Posted by arty dave
When you say the pivot bolt do you mean the part that the cable or rod connects to? That's a pivoting arm - Sturmey Archer label it as 'brake lever' which is most unhelpful You should be able to tighten it, but if the outside nut is spinning, take the whole brake section off so you can secure the inside side of the bolt with something while you tighten the outside nut. I had to make a spanner from a piece of 2-3mm mild steel because I couldn't get a regular spanner in the gap to hold the inner bolt. Edit - sorry, I'm describing how to tighten the pivot bolt that the 2 brake shoes pivot on. This might be what you mean? They call it a fulcrum pin, and sometimes this incorporates a cable stop. It takes me a while to wrap my head around their part names, and English is the only language I know
That's the one I mean, it doesn't catch a thread and I suspect with the brake shoes off centre is must have worn unevenly until I loosened the rear brake rod to disable the rear brake, which causes the the rear rod to fall out of the lever on the bigger bumps and drag over the pavement. It needs the spring inside the brake to stay put. It probably went wrong when in last year's winter when there was a lot of snow and ice on the streets, the rods on these don't allow for using the brakes seperately so I unscrewed to front wheel brake rod and tightened the rear one to prevent locking the front wheel and going down. . There's a lot of play in the brake lever nut too, and allthough I like wrenching and will improvise with tools if I need to, I prefer smooth jobs . So that's why I hoped an entire new brake including the brake plate would fit. Originality is not my first concern, it's my daily commuter, it looks good in a casual way.

I have an AB on my Raleigh DL-1 - the AB is rod operated; the 'C' in AB/C stands for cable. You probably know this, just putting it here for anyone that doesn't.

The brake section is a standard size, and the shoes are also interchangeable. So whatever small parts you need to work with your bikes rod or cable, you can take from one and put on the other.
That's great, but I never suspected the C would stand for cable.

If you're suspecting asbestos, maybe wear some disposable nitrile or latex gloves and a breathing mask. Wipe out the shell with a damp cloth or paper and then dispose of it. Then you could use some brake cleaner on the shell too, there's usually a bit of hub oil that's made its way into the drum. That's the drawback with the older drum hubs, there's not really an adequate seal from the gear side into the brake side of the hub. Best not to lay the bike down on that brake side. Hope that helps
If it's on the kick stand it leans over to the drum side too, I guess a little oil leaking in doesn't affect brake performance very much. I think I take the wheel outside and spray the whole brake unit damp as soon as it's exposed, in addition to gloves and a mask.

Thank's a lot, I'll be back with an update when the job is done.
Old 07-12-18, 09:23 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 483 Post(s)
Quoted: 3827 Post(s)
Liked 6,804 Times in 2,641 Posts
The recent conversations about long-distance riding on a 3-speed inspired me to kit together a build and take on this challenge. The frameset is a mid-1970s Wes Mason (the second M in the MKM/Ron Kitching enterprise), full DB Reynolds 531, so reasonably light weight. To continue the keep the weight down (and compensate for the relatively heavy IGH), I went with a set of CLB brakes, a 122bcd later-model Nervar crankset with 45t ring, American Classic seat post, Brooks Swift with Ti rails, Nitto technomic stem, GB bars, and Brooks leather wrap, Shimano aero levers, Shimano A520 pedals. Wheelset is a rear 40-hole Titan Matrix and front is a Mavic with similar box section and color. Tires are Grand Bois Cypres 700 x 30mm (and a bit of a tight fit between the chain stays). Rear hub is an FM with alloy shell dated Sept 1954 (okay, I cheated and went with a 4-speed!). Total weight on my hanging scale as shown is about 22.5 lbs.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

The frame is a smidge on the small side for me, but that keeps the weight down for this purpose and fit feels pretty good as shown. I'll take it for a 20-30-mile test ride in the next day or so and decide if it'll suffice for a century ride next week.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 07-12-18, 10:43 AM
Salubrious

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
The recent conversations about long-distance riding on a 3-speed inspired me to kit together a build and take on this challenge. The frameset is a mid-1970s Wes Mason (the second M in the MKM/Ron Kitching enterprise), full DB Reynolds 531, so reasonably light weight. To continue the keep the weight down (and compensate for the relatively heavy IGH), I went with a set of CLB brakes, a 122bcd later-model Nervar crankset with 45t ring, American Classic seat post, Brooks Swift with Ti rails, Nitto technomic stem, GB bars, and Brooks leather wrap, Shimano aero levers, Shimano A520 pedals. Wheelset is a rear 40-hole Titan Matrix and front is a Mavic with similar box section and color. Tires are Grand Bois Cypres 700 x 30mm (and a bit of a tight fit between the chain stays). Rear hub is an FM with alloy shell dated Sept 1954 (okay, I cheated and went with a 4-speed!). Total weight on my hanging scale as shown is about 22.5 lbs.

The frame is a smidge on the small side for me, but that keeps the weight down for this purpose and fit feels pretty good as shown. I'll take it for a 20-30-mile test ride in the next day or so and decide if it'll suffice for a century ride next week.
Very nice build, but you should be aware that the alloy FMs have a distressing quality of ejecting their guts right through the hub body (no worries with the steel versions, and no worries with the alloy FWs). Alloy FMs should not be used for anything other than something to look at- maybe an ashtray or something.
Old 07-12-18, 01:24 PM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
The recent conversations about long-distance riding on a 3-speed inspired me to kit together a build and take on this challenge. The frameset is a mid-1970s Wes Mason (the second M in the MKM/Ron Kitching enterprise), full DB Reynolds 531, so reasonably light weight. To continue the keep the weight down (and compensate for the relatively heavy IGH), I went with a set of CLB brakes, a 122bcd later-model Nervar crankset with 45t ring, American Classic seat post, Brooks Swift with Ti rails, Nitto technomic stem, GB bars, and Brooks leather wrap, Shimano aero levers, Shimano A520 pedals. Wheelset is a rear 40-hole Titan Matrix and front is a Mavic with similar box section and color. Tires are Grand Bois Cypres 700 x 30mm (and a bit of a tight fit between the chain stays). Rear hub is an FM with alloy shell dated Sept 1954 (okay, I cheated and went with a 4-speed!). Total weight on my hanging scale as shown is about 22.5 lbs..
Nice build, and light too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.