Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Do you trust brazed on eyelets?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Do you trust brazed on eyelets?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-20, 03:04 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
I think you will be disappointed, but maybe there are engineering schools that are different than Penn State. Although I suspect you are familiar with not being able to get any work done without a charge number. All the bicycle related experiments that I have thought about doing would require enough specialized mounting that I haven't pursued it. I sometimes wish some of the machines I built were still around, lots of potential there for bike experiments. But we needed the room, so they are gone.

Although taking a hammer to some eyelets is pretty interesting, so I might go ahead and do that.

One thing I found in one of my fatigue experiments is that having loose bolts leads to early failures. I never did too much work on that, but I did find some literature about it that agreed. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find that paper again. But if there is any constant on rack mounting, it's that people often fail to tighten rack bolts enough and they come loose. So any time you hit a bump, there is a big impact. This isn't good for the frame, bolt or the rack.

Okay, so there have been people that looked at it https://www.google.com/search?q=loos...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Old 07-16-20, 05:40 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
A wood glue joint is often stronger than the wood itself. Is this also true for a brazed joint?
Old 07-16-20, 09:49 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,802 Times in 2,286 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I think you will be disappointed, but maybe there are engineering schools that are different than Penn State. Although I suspect you are familiar with not being able to get any work done without a charge number. All the bicycle related experiments that I have thought about doing would require enough specialized mounting that I haven't pursued it. I sometimes wish some of the machines I built were still around, lots of potential there for bike experiments. But we needed the room, so they are gone.

Although taking a hammer to some eyelets is pretty interesting, so I might go ahead and do that.

One thing I found in one of my fatigue experiments is that having loose bolts leads to early failures. I never did too much work on that, but I did find some literature about it that agreed. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find that paper again. But if there is any constant on rack mounting, it's that people often fail to tighten rack bolts enough and they come loose. So any time you hit a bump, there is a big impact. This isn't good for the frame, bolt or the rack.

Okay, so there have been people that looked at it https://www.google.com/search?q=loos...hrome&ie=UTF-8
That makes complete sense. I've started eliminating threaded fender connections with clearance holes and nylok nuts on bolts. I don't think I've ever had one of those come loose on me. But those are low stress connections. Rack bolts take a lot more stress. Being vigilant with checking their tightness is something you can't control with customers.
Old 07-16-20, 09:59 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
For my first attempt at brazing I brazed a canti stud to an old chain stay, and then I tried to remove it with a large hammer, the chain stay ended up a mangled mess and the canti stud was never failed in any way at all.

Also, brass can be built up to a fairly large fillet, or it can be be a very small fillet, how much brass is used will affect the strength. For my canti stud destructive testing the fillet was actually pretty minimal.
Old 07-17-20, 09:54 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
This thread has moved in some new and interesting directions.

I have pretty limited brazing experience. It is limited to doing some simple repairs, ie replacing dropouts, in the back of one of the bike shops where I used to work. One of the other mechanics there who was also a framebuilder taught me. What I remember from this is that most failures from brazing are likely to be the result of insufficient cleaning, not enough flux, etc. The actual brass is pretty strong, especially with a good fillet. I'd be interested to see what fails first in some destructive testing too. As I already pointed out, I think part of the reason I never ran across a broken eyelet in the old days is that the racks would break before the eyelet. Perhaps the answer to this question then is, yes, brazed on eyelets are fine, just be sure and use a Pletscher rack with them. Also, probably most people that toured used bikes with forged on eyelets for the rack, and knew which eyelet to use.

I also remember my Blackburn rack as being pretty tough. Hard to imagine breaking it. I wonder if the original flavor Blackburns were heat treated? Mine was the old original style non-adjustable type. It would have been very easy to bring the cost down by not heat treating at some point. None would have been the wise, and production cost would go way down, but the racks would be ~ half as strong.

Originally Posted by gugie

BTW, a 24 day tour is a fantasy dream for me! It's long enough to forget that your other life doesn't exist, and you're new daily reality is riding a bike over hill and dale. Would love to sit down and share a beer and hear your stories of that tour.
For sure. In fact I wanted to get up to the PNW this summer to visit some old friends, but given the situation, it's going to have to wait till next year. Also, As I Recall more Correctly, I think I added about a day per decade to that tour, much like how fast I was BITD , but it was still around 3 weeks. We burned up a couple bottles of fuel.
Old 07-20-20, 03:54 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
As a frame builder I would not use a braze-on eyelet on a dropout to support a rear rack. What has unfortunately happened in the past was that when the loaded rear rack fell over and the panniers (or tent or whatever) hit something on the way down, the braze-on was not strong enough to stay on the dropout. The force broke off the eyelet. This was an eyelet properly brazed with brass (actually bronze but American builders say brass) and in addition a little miter was filed into the dropout to give additional support and contact area. Even if the rear rack is not usually loaded down so the strength would be more than enough, the possibility exists that someone might make a grocery run and - especially if it is only loaded on one side - the bike may tip over and the force of the fall with the extra weight will break off the eyelet.

What I do if the dropout already has one eyelet is put the rack on that one and the fender on the braze-on eyelet. If the dropout has no eyelets I put a water bottle boss as close as possible to the dropout to hold the rack strut and braze-on on eyelet on the dropout for fenders.
...or use the eyelet to support both the rack and fender. The rack first and the light fenders attached outboard. I circumvented the US on such a set up front and back with absolutely no issue. If your adding canti bosses anyway though I'd add the extra eyelets. I like the idea of filing a little extra contact area though. Why not?
Old 07-20-20, 05:11 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
If properly done, brazed-on eyelets should be close enough to strong as integral eyelets as doesn't matter. At Trek, we milled the dropout a little to give more surface area for the joint. A round file will do the same thing with a little "elbow grease."
Files + patience are a very under-rated combination.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 07-20-20, 05:37 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
QUOTE=unterhausen;21590823]...

I agree that almost all brazed on bit failures are due to incomplete penetration, leaving a stress riser.
My '73 Competition. Brazed on bits being the DT shifter stop (I saw the lack of braze underneath and had further investigation done) and bits like the main tubes to the corresponding lugs. Little stuff like that. Dave Levy worked in braze like it was a freshly jigged frame. Also found a couple of cracked tubes - at the lugs. Said the paint held it together.
Old 07-20-20, 06:02 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by jackbombay
For my first attempt at brazing I brazed a canti stud to an old chain stay, and then I tried to remove it with a large hammer, the chain stay ended up a mangled mess and the canti stud was never failed in any way at all.

Also, brass can be built up to a fairly large fillet, or it can be be a very small fillet, how much brass is used will affect the strength. For my canti stud destructive testing the fillet was actually pretty minimal.
Destructive testing is something that new members of the Blue Flame Union are encouraged to do. Braze some scrap bits together, try to break them. When I started making stem mounted decaleurs, I wanted to make sure they were strong enough. I made a few "blanks" and bent the bits to see if the braze would hold.

If you look closely, even though the one on the right didn't break off, there's a crack in the braze. I tightened up interface hole, did a few more, now I'm satisfied that the design, properly executed is stronger than it needs to be.
Old 07-20-20, 08:17 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Destructive testing is something that new members of the Blue Flame Union are encouraged to do.
I've been a fan of destructive testing for a long time!

You did end up with a crack in the brass on one of those joints but you really had to beat on it to get that to happen, its crazy how strong such a small amount of brass is!
Old 07-21-20, 12:40 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Okay, I did a two part experiment on this. Let's just say I'm not going to be using any brazed on eyelets for rack mount use. Hourglass or bottle cage mounts should be fine. The eyelets I used are thick, so bending them would be pretty difficult.

I had a piece of angle iron and brazed on two eyelets. One was just cleaned up, no filing. The other, I filed a shallow groove. I held the other leg of the angle iron and beat on the eyelets on their sides. They both broke off with a few hits, not really that much difference, 4 or 5 maybe?. Then I noticed there wasn't full penetration on the grooved one, so I brazed another eyelet in the groove (should go find the two first victims). This time the eyelet bent over fairly far before it broke off.

My conclusion is you need more surface area.

Having said all this, most eyelets would never see loading like this and would work fine for years. Unless it got hit wrong.
Old 07-21-20, 01:19 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Thanks guys for taking the time to do actual destructive testing. Real world tests are more valuable than theory alone.

I suspect building up a large and non traditional level of brass fillet would enhance the strength of a brazed on eyelet, if one were to needed to carry a rack. It's pretty easy to break stuff in shear.
Old 07-21-20, 01:49 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by unterhausen
Okay, I did a two part experiment on this. Let's just say I'm not going to be using any brazed on eyelets for rack mount use. Hourglass or bottle cage mounts should be fine. The eyelets I used are thick, so bending them would be pretty difficult.

I had a piece of angle iron and brazed on two eyelets. One was just cleaned up, no filing. The other, I filed a shallow groove. I held the other leg of the angle iron and beat on the eyelets on their sides. They both broke off with a few hits, not really that much difference, 4 or 5 maybe?. Then I noticed there wasn't full penetration on the grooved one, so I brazed another eyelet in the groove (should go find the two first victims). This time the eyelet bent over fairly far before it broke off.

My conclusion is you need more surface area.

Having said all this, most eyelets would never see loading like this and would work fine for years. Unless it got hit wrong.
That's an Admiral Hopper!
Old 07-21-20, 01:50 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

my fillets weren't particularly large. I might try this again with a deeper groove and more brass.