Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cycling and Depression

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cycling and Depression

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-12, 04:36 PM
ThinLine

Bikes: Pedal Force RS2, Canyon, Basso, Tommaso, Rock Racing, Schwinn, SWOBO, Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cycling and Depression

First of all I am not writting this for a pity party, but does any one here have clinical depression handed down via parents and the good ole gene gang?

I suffer from it and find cycling to be very beneficial for my head. Most people don't understand, others look at me and can't imagine I have it.....I get this alot; "No f#@ckin way, you have a great job, 4 cars, 10 bikes, handsome and good looking, physicaly fit, beautiful house, etc. etc. They don't understand! Your mind plays the dark games of helpless-ness, hopeless-ness, dark hole perceptions and of course the end it all scenario.
I'm taking Cymbalta and it isn't working.

Riding clears my head and organizes my thoughts. Once again, not out for sympathy.
90% of people don't care, the other 10% are glad you have the problem.

Any insight would be helpful
Old 11-23-12, 04:41 PM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
You're not the only one. There are certainly pros that have talked about cycling helping various things. LeMond with ADHD, I believe Tyler Hamilton talks about the bike helping his depression.

I'd be lying if I didn't think some of my cycling is just a substitute for some form of self harm.

No one has ever accused me of having a good job, 4 cars, 10 bikes, being handsome, or having a nice house though.

Likes For Andy Somnifac:
Old 11-23-12, 04:43 PM
ChevDog1

Bikes: 2008 Felt F3

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I feel your pain, and agree that cycling is the best medicine. My problem is more anxiety than depression, but riding frequently keeps my head clear, and I feel much better than any medication can give me. Just keep riding!
Likes For ChevDog1:
Old 11-23-12, 04:52 PM
YOJiMBO20

Bikes: 2010 Litespeed Icon, 1987 Nishiki Olympic 12

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never been diagnosed, but I'm pretty sure I suffer from depression.

Riding definitely helps a lot and I slip into the dark place more the less I ride.
Old 11-23-12, 04:53 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Right with you bro, for me a combo of Wellbutrin, Lexapro and major doses of cycling. People are interesting, they understand insulin and diabetes, nitro and heart disease, tamoxifen and breast cancer but among many the most complex organ system in the body should be immune from disease requiring meds. No shame, no pity just an acknowledgment that depression, like many diseases, has a genetic component and medications are sometimes needed. That being said it is no secret amongst mental health professionals that the single, most effective and most important treatment is exercise. Like I have said in other threads, cycling is my psychiatrist's couch.
Old 11-23-12, 04:53 PM
ugaphinizy

Bikes: Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I have genetic depression (sometimes I am just down or in a bad mood for no apparent reason... although I think this is also just part of being a mammal...). I manage it largely by trying to do things I enjoy... Cycling has become one of those things. Getting fit is also really rewarding just when you see your times improving or see differences in the mirror. There is no way cycling could hurt. Go for it.
Old 11-23-12, 05:01 PM
freedomrider1

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All i can say is you enjoy what you have.Be kind and be charitable,but don't let anyone put a guilt trip on you.Keep cycling and seeking.Not sure about the drug but maybe you would do better without it.Hope this helps someway.
Old 11-23-12, 05:09 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Cycling improves mental health, I have no doubt.

It is not possible to have a fully healthy mind when the body is unfit.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 11-23-12 at 06:42 PM.
Likes For Barrettscv:
Old 11-23-12, 05:11 PM
surgeonstone

Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Cycling improves mental health, I have no doubt.

It is not possible to have a healthy mind, when the body is not fit.
Mens sanu et corpus sanus
Old 11-23-12, 05:42 PM
here2day

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I manage it with exercise and by reducing stress. Tried meds but that was a short term fix that (for me) felt worse than the disease. Hang in there - you can beat it.
Old 11-23-12, 06:00 PM
juniorcat

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2, LeMond Zurich, Trek Fuel EX8, Trek 7.3 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find that cycling has completely eradicated any need for therapy. Give me a couple of hours on the bike, and the negative thoughts get ridden out of my system. Now I'm to the point where, if I'm feeling bad, I can think constructively about my problems even if I'm not on the bike.

Depression isn't about the lack of external comforts (though I'd be pretty happy if I had 10 bikes - can do without the cars LOL!). It's an internal issue. Studies do show that more active people are less likely to suffer from it, so keep up the riding - it's cheaper (and more fun) than therapy.
Old 11-23-12, 06:15 PM
surgeonstone

For those of you on meds, I would caution you from just stopping them suddenly without professional advice. Many need them long term, exercise or not.
Old 11-23-12, 06:33 PM
Stomper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ThinLine
I'm taking Cymbalta and it isn't working.

Riding clears my head and organizes my thoughts. Once again, not out for sympathy.
90% of people don't care, the other 10% are glad you have the problem.

Any insight would be helpful
Depression may be caused by genetics and/or environmental stress. Like diabetes, epilepsy, and hypertension, depression can be debilitating or fatal. Cycling, or other fitness activities, may be beneficial as it reduces tension, releases feel-good hormones, etc. Not all medications are suited to all persons. If the antidepressant (insulin, blood pressure medicate, anti fungal cream, etc.) is not working for you, then you should speak with the prescribing physician, nurse practitioner, physician's assistant, or psychologist (yes - they can prescribe in a couple of states). If the resolution is not satisfactory, then seek a second opinion - soon.
Old 11-23-12, 06:41 PM
dmcdam

Bikes: Opus Vivace F1

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I battled what I think was undiagnosed depression for many years. Tried - in this order - booze, hash, pot, mushrooms, acid, extasy, cocaine, GHB, therapy, food, more therapy, cycling, wife and kids. I'm not sure if I'm cured but between the cycling and the wife and kids, I don't really have much time to think about it anymore so I don't. Now I'm generally a pretty happy guy.

Whatever you think is helping is probably helping. If the meds don't work, try new ones. If cycling seems to help, keep doing it. Just don't give up and let the darkness overwhelm you - keep fighting it.
Likes For dmcdam:
Old 11-23-12, 06:45 PM
chaulky61
Chaulky

Bikes: Colnago cx-1, Colnago Master

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting thread ThinLine...thanks for starting
Old 11-23-12, 06:47 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11975 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
I think the professional consensus is that a good anti-depressant combined with counseling is the most effective treatment. Many people respond well to Wellbutrin, so if the Cymbalta isn't effective ask for a switch, try something different.

Surely cycling will help, but don't do what many males tend to do and shy away from counseling. It is very important and very effective to be able to talk to somebody.
Old 11-23-12, 06:57 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Exercise can definitely help with depression; I'd be a little bit surprised if your psychiatrist or a therapist hadn't mentioned effects of diet and exercise for your condition.

That said, if your medication or other treatment(s) aren't helping, you absolutely need to discuss it with your doctor, as well as be clear how exercise improves your mood. There are numerous medications and therapies that can help.
Old 11-23-12, 07:01 PM
pdxtex
Portland, OR, USA

Bikes: kona paddywagon, trek 2.1, lemond nevada city, gt zrx

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
drink booze too? dont! once i quit for good my head and digestive tract got way better. took a few months to clean the pipes out but best choice i ever made. dropped 20 pounds and did some of the best riding of the decade this summer.
Old 11-23-12, 07:12 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
I am a diagnosed clinical depression survivor. Take my meds as prescribed and they moderate the dark moods. Cycling helps clear my head and I feel much better when I am riding regularly like I try and do, and have been able to so far this year. Probably genetic, I remember my father could become very "dark" and then would snap at the least thing and it was Katy bar the door for my brother and I, the beatings would now begin (to paraphrase Bill Crosby.) My numerous prescription pain killers aggravated everything badly, these are gone now.

The numerous health problems I had from 2000 through 2010 could bring me down so fast when each of the 18 surgeries came to pass. Now I am doing very well, my wife and children know what I deal with and see me through each day, thankfully, and my health has stabilised very well. The doctors agree my riding has been very beneficial. It is working and I don't try to fix what isn't broken. I don't want to go back to the mid 90's again.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 11-23-12, 07:23 PM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exercise is supposed to help with clinical depression though the exact reason why hasn't been totally elucidated.

However, I would caution against exercise as the sole treatment for depression because one could easily be injured and suffer a period of time where exercise is not possible. That would be bad...
Old 11-23-12, 08:04 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
I used to suffer from anxiety rather than depression - caused by childhood sexual abuse at home. Cycling and running probably kept me from serious harm or maybe death.
Old 11-23-12, 08:13 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by surgeonstone
Right with you bro, for me a combo of Wellbutrin, Lexapro and major doses of cycling. People are interesting, they understand insulin and diabetes, nitro and heart disease, tamoxifen and breast cancer but among many the most complex organ system in the body should be immune from disease requiring meds. No shame, no pity just an acknowledgment that depression, like many diseases, has a genetic component and medications are sometimes needed. That being said it is no secret amongst mental health professionals that the single, most effective and most important treatment is exercise. Like I have said in other threads, cycling is my psychiatrist's couch.
Actually, many people don't understand diabetes.

Like with depression, diabetics look "fine" on the outside. In the meantime, however, diabetes is eating at our insides, doing damage tthat may not become apparent for years (much like termites...in a manner of speaking).

To the OP...I don't have any magical words of advice. Just keep on riding...at some point or the other most of us here have used our bikes as a escape from the harsh realities of daily life.

Hang in there my friend. (BTW, I do admire your courage for posting what you did; most people would never be so frank and open about a situation like depression.)

Last edited by eja_ bottecchia; 11-23-12 at 10:09 PM.
Old 11-23-12, 08:40 PM
petalpower

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Roubaix Pro

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sure I have clinical depression - been showing signs for the better part of 10 years. From the dark thoughts, to slight suicidal passing thoughts, to burst of anger, I know I probably need meds, but I will not go on them. To many risks and drawbacks. I know of two good friends that have committed suicide once on medication. I feel that I can control my self for the ost part, even though I'll suffer more than if I had taken medication.

Cycling is my means to get away from it all. I leave my problems behind and enjoy the ride.

I'm sure the stressors in life aren't helping either. Kid, big house, 3 businesses and a heavy debt burden.

Keep on, keeping on.
Old 11-23-12, 09:12 PM
deep_sky

Bikes: 2012 Scott CR1 Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been diagnosed with clinical depression, and take generic effexor. Cycling covers the rest that the effexor doesn't. My dad is likely clinically depressed, but unlike me, doesn't think he can be helped because he is too old (64)...my brother is also depressed, so I do believe I have inherited my depression.
Old 11-23-12, 09:20 PM
BentLink

Bikes: '86 Cannondale SR400, '86 Pugeot PX10, '92 Bianchi Axis, '95 Bianchi Campione d'Italia, '00 Fondriest X-Status, '08 Specialized Roubaix, '13 Cannondale CAADX

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
ThinLine, exercise is a great component of a solution; beating stress, keeping you healthy, and giving you satisfaction in achievements you control. Work to find a med that works...take good care of yourself. When you're the engine and the driver, you deserve no less.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.