Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

why don't they sell these in the US?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

why don't they sell these in the US?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-15, 12:16 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by CrankyOne
Rarely. Just as with car congestion there are times and places where you have to slow down either due to the congestion itself or out of consideration for others. My typical 'business' pace on a Dutchie is about 13 to 14 mph and I rarely have to slow except through tourist areas and in places with older infrastructure such as along some sections of F. Bolstraat. There have also been times I've needed to ride faster (18 - 20 mph) and this is often possible. On the other hand, if I'm not in a rush I probably ride closer to 10 or 11 mph.
I don't know firsthand, but every video posted on BF by someone attempting to show how great bike commuting is over there looks like a huge bike traffic jam of depressed people. Everyone is poking along at what looks like around 10 mph, no helmet and staring straight ahead. Maybe that's not the reality, but it sure looks unappealing to me. BTW, my usual pace is 18-20 mph with speeds up to 25 mph with a tailwind for a 30 mile RT commute. Have fun doing that on a Dutch bike.
Old 02-17-15, 12:45 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Nobody (at least that I've noticed) is trying to force anything on anyone. My and I think others point is one of awareness and that we (and bike shops, etc.) should do a better job of making people aware of what options are available and what the advantages and disadvantages of each is. You seem to have a problem with this.
Exactly,
All I'm trying to do is show that some of the commonly repeated criticisms of roadsters and IGH bikes are no where near as limiting as some try to claim.
Just because a bike isn't attractive to the advanced enthusiast, or doesn't excel at what isn't its primary function, doesn't mean it can't serve many functions and people well.
Old 02-17-15, 01:32 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,483 Times in 1,441 Posts
Right. Maybe I'm a hypocrite, but I recommend the type of bike that I don't like to ride. That's because I've been an athletic cyclist for a long time, and a townie bike might make me feel impaired. It might not actually impair me, but it would feel that way. I'm already molded to feel the way I do, and I'm prepared to pedal hard, unlike some others.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-17-15, 02:39 PM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
I have to admit, I just looked at Walmart's offerings, and there seems to be a lot more diversity than when I was last there about 5 years ago. Some pretty practical stuff at around $150 to $200.
Old 02-17-15, 02:45 PM
CrankyOne

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
I enjoy riding all types of bikes. Each has their purpose, advantages, and disadvantages. When someone asks me what they should buy I always begin with a gob of questions about their purpose in riding, where, how often, budget, etc. Some of this requires some probing and often them going off and thinking a bit. I don't really have an overall favorite and what I think someone should get depends on a lot of variables.

What I dislike is when people go in to an LBS or Wal-Mart and get a bike that doesn't fit their purpose and that they're not as happy with as one that does fit their purpose and then they end up not riding very much. Sadly a very common scenario.
Old 02-17-15, 02:51 PM
CrankyOne

As well, I don't often chime in on BF discussions where someone should have a road, mountain, hybrid, or similar. There are a lot of people on here with a lot of great knowledge about these bikes and most times I'd simply be piling on to 30 other similar opinions and I don't usually see much need for clogging up a thread. If I think a city bike or cargo bike would be a good option then I'll chime in because there are only a few of us on here with much knowledge about them.

Maybe I should start adding my pile-on to the 30 others on roadie threads just for balance.
Old 02-17-15, 02:53 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
I don't know firsthand, but every video posted on BF by someone attempting to show how great bike commuting is over there looks like a huge bike traffic jam of depressed people. Everyone is poking along at what looks like around 10 mph, no helmet and staring straight ahead. Maybe that's not the reality, but it sure looks unappealing to me. BTW, my usual pace is 18-20 mph with speeds up to 25 mph with a tailwind for a 30 mile RT commute. Have fun doing that on a Dutch bike.
You're probably right. They're people commuting to work who happen to be on bikes, and representative of most commuters regardless of mode. you're an enthusiast who enjoys cycling in a brisk manner. Two very different points of view.
Old 02-17-15, 03:07 PM
kickstart

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
As well, I don't often chime in on BF discussions where someone should have a road, mountain, hybrid, or similar. There are a lot of people on here with a lot of great knowledge about these bikes and most times I'd simply be piling on to 30 other similar opinions and I don't usually see much need for clogging up a thread. If I think a city bike or cargo bike would be a good option then I'll chime in because there are only a few of us on here with much knowledge about them.

Maybe I should start adding my pile-on to the 30 others on roadie threads just for balance.
I used to have a strong dislike for those long bikes like the big dummy, or yuba boda, but it was all based on opinions of those who don't ride them, it wasn't until I got into classic transportation bikes that I began to appreciate them for what they are rather than what their not.
Popular opinions are often more myth than fact, and a real disservice to those who are open to all options rather than just following the pack.
Old 02-17-15, 03:55 PM
CrankyOne

Originally Posted by kickstart
I used to have a strong dislike for those long bikes like the big dummy, or yuba boda,
I still do. :-)

They are a nice fit between a city bike like an opafiets and a bakfiets. The times I've ridden them I didn't care for the ride, especially when loaded, and that's why I have an opafiets and a bakfiets which serve me better. For someone looking for a cargo bike I do think they should consider them and people I know who have them to like them.
Old 02-17-15, 04:20 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
18-20 mph on a cushy, bolt upright Dutch bike without breaking a sweat? Cool. Where do I sign up?
Old 02-17-15, 04:47 PM
CrankyOne

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
18-20 mph on a cushy, bolt upright Dutch bike without breaking a sweat? Cool. Where do I sign up?
Lijnbaansgracht 32B-Hs
1015 GP Amsterdam, the Netherlands

The don't sweat feature not available in July or August.

:-)
Old 02-17-15, 05:41 PM
kickstart

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
At the top of any hill........

But seriously I can maintain 15 mph on level ground without undue effort, really no different than a MTB with street tires.
Old 02-17-15, 06:15 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
I don't know firsthand, but every video posted on BF by someone attempting to show how great bike commuting is over there looks like a huge bike traffic jam of depressed people. Everyone is poking along at what looks like around 10 mph, no helmet and staring straight ahead. Maybe that's not the reality, but it sure looks unappealing to me.
This x100. One of my reasons for riding a bike is to get around the city faster than motorized traffic. I go nuts just getting behind a slowpoke in a cycletrack;if things were like Copenhagen/Amsterdam here,I'd just walk and take Metro.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 02-17-15, 09:30 PM
CrankyOne

Originally Posted by dynaryder
This x100. One of my reasons for riding a bike is to get around the city faster than motorized traffic. I go nuts just getting behind a slowpoke in a cycletrack;if things were like Copenhagen/Amsterdam here,I'd just walk and take Metro.
Dutch cycleways make passing quite easy. I've only occasionally been stuck behind people and not able to pass. Definitely the fastest (and most enjoyable) way around Amsterdam, Utrecht, Leiden, and other cities in The Netherlands.