Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Separate but Equal is the Only Way To Ensure Bike Safety

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-18, 08:19 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
Our city is building separate bike lanes in the downtown area. I am not a fan. The intersections are dicey. They have two way flow on one way streets. Transitioning out of them to normal streets becomes a problem. I'd rather just go with the flow of traffic.
Old 05-23-18, 11:04 AM
raria

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Go back and read my post

You completely missed my points. I said we need separate but equal because judges, juries, DAs etc are not penalising drivers when they do hit cyclists. There is a belief in the USA that: 1) if you cycle on the road your intruding on a car's terittory and 2) If you are hit then your decision to cycle on the road mitigates the drivers responsibility.

I presented this example as an extreme case of someone who was so blatantly anti-cyclist, so blatantly in the wrong yet he was only sentence to not even 1/37th of the possible jail time.

As for France vs USA. Look at https://www.cyclehelmets.org/1258.html Do you see a trend on the french fatalities and the trend in the USA fatalities? Which trend would you prefer as a cyclist.

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Again, you learn the wrong lesson in an effort to prove a point.

This was a driver who Wanted to hit cyclists ... he was accused of trying to hit cyclists previously.

Do you really think a SPEED BUMP would inhibit him?

This guy would gladly have run over a speed bump to hit a rider. You vaunted "French System" would be useless in this case.

The issue in this case was precisely the flaws in our justice system, in which a person with a lot of social and political connections can literally get away with murder. How are some speed bumps going to change that?

The other question is ... how are you going to fit separate bike lanes in every place where cars and bikes share the road, if the city is not designed to accommodate them? If there are dedicated bus lanes, then they could become bike/bus lanes ... which would do nothing in a case where a driver Wanted to hit cyclists, but might help in some situations.

However, most cities do not have or need separate bus lanes ... and do not have enough bike traffic to justify bike lanes.

One could say that "if you build it, they will come ..." And anyone who wants to put up the hundreds of millions of dollars required to build roadways is welcome to foot the bill and take the risk. Most cities' budgets don't have a lot of extra cash, and nobody wants to build dedicated bike lanes only to see almost no one using them.

Also, as has been noted ... even in cities where there is some bike use, in most of the world at least several months of each year are not suitable for most cyclists because of climate.

Would a system like France uses, work in some cities? Yes, I think so. Would there be enough bike traffic to justify the expense, and the loss of a traffic lane? I don't know and neither do you.

If the bike-lane-share initiative was coupled by an significant increase in bus traffic, that might help ... but are there really that many people who want to ride buses who aren't being serviced now? Not likely. And the other issue with buses is that they are packed for morning and evening rush hour and don't get much usage for half the day ... which means the buses are parked and the bus lanes are empty and traffic is more congested on the remaining road surface.

Are there solutions? Yes, but it is likely that there are only reasonable solutions and only very specific solutions for each urban area---maybe even different solutions would be needed for different parts of the same city.

One point I think Everyone is overlooking----we are all accepting the premise that there is a Need to have cyclists segregated for safety.

As a person who has been cycling for five decades and cycling in urban/dense suburban areas for more than three, I don't think this is needed.

And by far the more universal, more efficient, and more noble solution would be to introduce some equity---some Justice---into America's diseased and disgusting "Justice" system.

One closing point---Drunk Driving, in my lifetime, went from being fodder for comedy and completely socially acceptable, to being a serious offense with considerable stigma.

Notice no one built separate drunk-driver lanes.
Old 05-23-18, 01:10 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,840 Posts
Originally Posted by raria
You completely missed my points. I said we need separate but equal because judges, juries, DAs etc are not penalising drivers when they do hit cyclists. There is a belief in the USA that: 1) if you cycle on the road your intruding on a car's terittory and 2) If you are hit then your decision to cycle on the road mitigates the drivers responsibility.
No dude. You are Completely missing my points to try to prove your point.

First ... many people here have ridden on the road all our lives---without separate bike lanes.

Second--separate bike lanes only work in certain situations, and only are even Possible in certain situations .. and in the specific situation you used to "prove" your point, wouldn't have helped.

Third---because it is NOT POSSIBLE to build separate lanes in all places, but it is ALWAYS POSSIBLE to reform the justice system ... why not choose the obviously better, the universal, and the right and just option?

I agree ... in some cases separate lanes Might help. Above, you can read a post by a poster who actually lives where separate lanes have been installed---and doesn't like them.

Separate lanes Can be an answer in certain situations. Holding drivers responsible for their action is Right All The Time.

As I mentioned before, drunk drivers used to get let off with a laugh ... now they lose their licenses. Also, crimes against many minorities which used to be ignored are now taken much more seriously (thought here is a long way to go.) Same with sexual assault---victim-blaming still happens, but nothing like how it used to be.

Anyway ... you just go on ignoring everyone who wants an honest discussion. It will get you far in life.
Old 05-23-18, 04:36 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
I've ridden a bike for two decades in the USA and have done extensive touring and/or lived for extended periods in England, France, Germany, Netherlands etc.

I've come to the conclusion that the only way going forward to maintain tolerable safety of riders is to have separate by equal bike and car lanes. Now I don't mean a line painted on a road to separate the bike lane from cars giving the bikes four feet. Rather I mean a raised divider which a car cannot and is not allowed to cross.
Originally Posted by bikemig
I'd like to live in the nirvana you describe.
Originally Posted by bikecrate
Our city is building separate bike lanes in the downtown area. I am not a fan. The intersections are dicey. They have two way flow on one way streets. Transitioning out of them to normal streets becomes a problem.

I'd rather just go with the flow of traffic.
No dude. You are Completely missing my points to try to prove your point.

First ... many people here have ridden on the road all our lives---without separate bike lanes.

Second--separate bike lanes only work in certain situations, and only are even Possible in certain situations .. and in the specific situation you used to "prove" your point, wouldn't have helped.

Third---because it is NOT POSSIBLE to build separate lanes in all places, but it is ALWAYS POSSIBLE to reform the justice system ... why not choose the obviously better, the universal, and the right and just option?

I agree ... in some cases separate lanes Might help. Above, you can read a post by a poster who actually lives where separate lanes have been installed---and doesn't like them.
As a lifestyle cyclist for four decades, including a cross-USA tour, I have posted about separate bike lanes including this commendable, contrarian quote by @B. Carfree.

Furthermore, I'm not going to avoid cycling waiting for Nirvana to arrive.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I have posted about separate bike lanes...

Anways @Maelochs, as a corollary to your post about painted (or non-painted) bike lanes, this post from the thread, "Cycling is safe" on the A&S Forum, IMO best reflects a major downside to physically separated bikepaths in general:
Originally Posted by alathIN
Man, this is like so many internet arguments.

We need air!
No, you're wrong! We need water!

How about we ride on the roads where that works, develop new infrastructure where we need it, and enforce the laws everywhere?:
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
Sounds great. However, we have this little problem that started in California back in '78 with prop. 13. As a result of the four decades long tax revolt it spawned, we're dealing with the ultimate priority issue: there's only so much money in the budget and it's not enough.

Some people, mostly people who are relatively new to cycling, think we should use the few dollars that can go towards improving conditions for cycling by building a few miles of separated infrastructure and place it mostly on urban roads (with the inevitable intersection failures).

Other, more experienced riders, think we would be better served by funding traffic law enforcement and putting in many more miles of proper, six to eight foot bikelanes (not in the door zone) and only putting in separate facilities where there are long stretches of high-speed road without appreciable numbers of intersections.

This difference of opinion wouldn't be such a big deal, but many of these segragationists have been making their public case by convincing everyone that cycling is too dangerous to be done anywhere except on a segregated facility. Not surprisingly, this has an impact in terms of how many people are willing to even try riding a bike since there is no way to get anywhere in the US without riding on a road.

Oddly enough, these people are called and consider themselves "bicycling advocates". If one were to design a fifth-column assault to keep cycling participation down, it would look just like the pro-separation folks
I hate the idea of walled-off lanes, myself ... I don't want to be penned in with a bunch of cyclists ... worst group of people ....

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-23-18 at 05:39 PM. Reason: added second quote by Maelochs
Old 05-23-18, 06:59 PM
Jim from Boston

BTW, I just noted this article this evening:
Seattle Not Boasting Its Bike Lanes The Daily Caller

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-23-18 at 07:02 PM.
Old 05-23-18, 07:56 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
You completely missed my points. I said we need separate but equal because judges, juries, DAs etc are not penalising drivers when they do hit cyclists.
I think everyone get your points, but some of us disagree with your proposed solution. Your argument is that because there's a problem with the justice system not taking injuries to cyclists seriously enough we need to completely revamp our road infrastructure system. Given the huge expense and time required to do this, it would seem preferable to correct the problem with the justice system instead. The efforts of MADD and other groups were very successful in changing the attitudes of both society in general and the justice system to the problem of drunk driving. There are efforts underway to similarly change the attitude toward those who injure vulnerable road users (incl. both pedestrians and cyclists) with additional penalties. There is also increasing availability of video to aid in prosecution either by cyclists having cameras or by its availability from the city or business infrastructure in the vicinity. I see gradual improvement through these efforts as much more likely to be successful than asking for the huge capital outlay needed to redesign much of our road system.
Old 05-24-18, 02:39 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
What I learned the past few elections in both Canada and the US is that any new legislation, newly planned infrastructure can be cancelled by the next government who wins on the populous vote that what was supposed to be an improvement with far-sighted benefits are viewed as negatively impacting themselves in the short-term.

You can implement changes to the judicial system or build better traffic infrastructure but the vast majority of voters are motorists compared to cyclists so view such changes as targetting themselves as villians.
Old 05-24-18, 04:14 AM
Jim from Boston

[
Originally Posted by Daniel4
What I learned the past few elections in both Canada and the US is that any new legislation, newly planned infrastructure can be cancelled by the next government who wins on the populous vote that what was supposed to be an improvement with far-sighted benefits are viewed as negatively impacting themselves in the short-term.

You can implement changes to the judicial system or build better traffic infrastructure but the vast majority of voters are motorists compared to cyclists so view such changes as targetting themselves as villians.
Nicely said, @Daniel4. I agreed on this thread on the Living Car Free forum, “Your Motivation For Becoming Car-Free or Car-Light
Originally Posted by prj71
I'm not car free or car light.

I drive a truck with a big V8 motor and put on about 20,000 miles a year mostly grouse hunting, trout fishing and mountain biking adventures. I use the truck to transport me and all my gear to hunting spots, trout streams and mountain bike trails.

My wife puts about 10,000/year on her car running to work, miscellaneous other errands and some recreational stuff.

I also have a fitness hybrid bike and sometimes commute by bike to work if I'm feeling ambitious in the morning and if the weather is nice.
Originally Posted by SHBR
Why post here?

I can think of much better ways to waste time
Actually, I think that @prj71’s post is relevant to this thread, at least as an opposing (majority) point of view.
I grew up in the Motor City where car is King, mass transit is a pauper and I know that attitude, even extant in Boston.
Old 05-24-18, 05:49 AM
raria

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Its not just the courts

Thanks. If you read through my initial post I also mentioned physics. Huge trucks of 1000s of tonnes of weight and bicyclist just can't coexist on roads without fatalities. But if you add in the justice systems biases you see why, as I posted earlier, https://www.cyclehelmets.org/1258.html the cylists fatalities are static in the US and have gone done much in countries such as France.

MADD worked because many people saw it as wrong. But as @Daniel4 mentions below most people will see this as this as bias against motorists and I'll contend most people see cyclist deaths a different way than a drunk driver caused death because they view the cyclist contributed to their own death.

Originally Posted by daniel4
Originally Posted by prathmann
I think everyone get your points, but some of us disagree with your proposed solution. Your argument is that because there's a problem with the justice system not taking injuries to cyclists seriously enough we need to completely revamp our road infrastructure system. Given the huge expense and time required to do this, it would seem preferable to correct the problem with the justice system instead. The efforts of MADD and other groups were very successful in changing the attitudes of both society in general and the justice system to the problem of drunk driving. There are efforts underway to similarly change the attitude toward those who injure vulnerable road users (incl. both pedestrians and cyclists) with additional penalties. There is also increasing availability of video to aid in prosecution either by cyclists having cameras or by its availability from the city or business infrastructure in the vicinity. I see gradual improvement through these efforts as much more likely to be successful than asking for the huge capital outlay needed to redesign much of our road system.

Last edited by raria; 05-24-18 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-24-18, 06:00 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
You completely missed my points. I said we need separate but equal because judges, juries, DAs etc are not penalising drivers when they do hit cyclists.
In the US, drivers tend not to be penalized to a significant extent for hitting anything. If you're not intoxicated, it's an "accident" and drivers are given traffic citations if anything. I'm not sure there is really a unique disregard for cyclists.
Old 05-24-18, 10:29 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Huge trucks of 1000s of tonnes of weight and bicyclist just can't coexist on roads without fatalities.
Learn to ride your bike.

I have ridden across the U.S. south to north and west to east, as well as all around several states. i have shared the road with 18-wheelers and delivery trucks, pick-ups, cars, motorcycles, and other bikes.

I have ridden on interstate highways where the traffic was doing 70-80 mph, and small connector roads where the trucks were doing 35. And still, here I am.

Byt he way ... please do the Tiniest bit of research. Trucks in the U.S. are limited to 42 tons---84,000 Pounds.

Unless you regularly ride on roads used by battleships and aircraft carriers, you aren't meeting anything weighing thousands of tons.

Youu know, people have not Refuted your proposal. People have analyzed it and offered alternatives. People have pointed out where your proposal would and would not work.

Instead of digesting all this and learning and growing, you have taken to wildly exaggerating to prove a point which obviously doesn't convince any of the veteran road riders posting here.

Something like 800-900 riders die on the roads of America each year. A lot of them are drunk and riding without lights, with total disregard for traffic laws, and without sufficient awareness of traffic around them. (You can either google it, or look for links in other threads on this site ... some of the helmet threads should provide a lot of info.)

Some riders who are doing nothing wrong get hit by drunk, stupid, or mean drivers ... but that seems to be exceedingly rare.

And in a lot of the crash videos posted on this site, every experienced rider immediately sees where a cyclist put him-or herself in harms’ way---trying to ride head-down past a semi-trailer while ignoring its turn signals, or riding in a turn lane and then going straight.

In a lot of cases the driver was also not sufficiently attentive---but you would get a lot further training cyclists to ride heads-up than trying to build bike lanes where the cost would be prohibitive.

Tell me---why don't you seem to really know anything about your own topic?

You haven't come here with facts and figures, costs for the kinds of projects where they have actually been built (city budgets are usually public documents.) You haven't shown projections about the number of lives you think these projects you propose might save, and a dollar-per-death figure.

You haven't listened to alternatives.

In a Jim-From-Boston post above, it was suggested that what would provide greater safety would be separate bike lanes Not in a dense urban environment, where the number of side streets, and intersections make separate lanes problematical, but along major high-speed connecting roads---the roads cyclists have to share with fast-moving cars to get from city center to city center.

Those long, two- and four-lane roads, often with no shoulder, usually not well lit, where cars travel from 45-65 mph in my experience, are often through undeveloped land between towns and cities ... easy to build safe bike lanes there, instead of trying to shoehorn bike lanes into places where there is no room.

Another suggestion was building Serious bike lanes, eight feet wide, where if a car did move into the lane the rider could move out of the way.

I am glad that the solution that one city in France has chosen works … for you, at least. I like seeing systems which work. But to imagine that that is a universal solution is ridiculous.

As I noted in an earlier post, there is a poster here who lives in a city with segregated bike lanes and he finds them inconvenient and even risky because there are so many intersections, which were Not designed with bikes in mind, and “bike lane” markers don’t magically make cars stop.

I sort of understand why you are trying to “defend” your idea … but no one is attacking it. We are Discussing it and analyzing it. Not everyone agrees with all parts of it, and the people who do not have presented sound, logical objections. Not everyone disagrees with all parts of it …

But this idea you had is not some precious jewel which cannot even be polished … it is an idea, or a group of ideas, and as such consists of conceptual artifacts which can be examined, dissected, analyzed, and discussed.

What did you Think happened on internet forums?

If the fact that not everyone immediately accepted and fell in love with every aspect of you initial post bothers you, get off the internet.

Might I suggest cycling as an alternative activity?

Last edited by Maelochs; 05-24-18 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-25-18, 11:49 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts

Having stated what I stated, I believe in separated bike lanes and infrastructure based on the impasse and attitude of drivers that bad driving is the acceptable norm that cannot or will not be changed. If driving were to improve, then there would be no need of separated bike lanes. The infrastructure is for the protection of the minority who are the vulnerable road-users. But motorists don't see things that way. They view bike lanes as being "shoved down their throats" instead of bike lanes as the reponse to their own carelessness.

Fences make the best neighbours.
Old 05-26-18, 02:01 AM
Maelochs

Having stated what I stated, I believe in separated bike lanes and infrastructure based on the impasse and attitude of drivers that bad driving is the acceptable norm that cannot or will not be changed.
See above mentions of changes in drunk-driving habits.
The infrastructure is for the protection of the minority who are the vulnerable road-users. But motorists don't see things that way. They view bike lanes as being "shoved down their throats" instead of bike lanes as the reponse to their own carelessness.
In which case the majority drivers would never vote to fund infrastructure for the minority, and the only way it would happen would be if it were indeed "shoved down their throats" by government decree.

But ... I am not sure the hostility some assume drivers have towards cyclists is real and what hostility there is might not be so focused. I think objections to bike infrastructure are based more on economics---"I sit every day in traffic for an hour for a 20-minute drive, and I see two bike-riders all day. yet instead of fixing the roads sop cars can actually get where they are going, they want to build more roads for bike-riders ... who don't even exist?"

That is the biggest issue ... as cyclists we think we are the norm, but even on a day where I mostly ride bike trails I see more cars than I do cyclists. As a cyclist I am very interested in cyclist safety ... but I am also a realist. I am outnumbered by at least 100-1, so for practical reasons at least, I don't expect a lot of the very limited budget to be spent on me.

Mothers Against Drunk Driving had an easier case, but Cyclists Against Dumb Drivers could have the same effect over time. And i'd bet mist local governments would rather buy a little TV time to play a PSA than build more roads (which cost some outrageous amount like $8-12 Million per mile.)

It comes down to best use of resources.

Further ... in a lot of cases bike lanes are simply impossible, in other places impractical, and in a lot of areas potentially dangerous (as a poster here with direct experience has noted.)

Further, for Most situations, I'd bet a solid wall of bendable plastic bollards would do as much for cyclist safety as steel or concrete barriers capable of stopping a speeding car ... and I'd bet instances of a speeding car actually cutting across a designated bike lane in a city is pretty rare (because otherwise, on this site, we'd be hearing about it.)

Before we start looking at tearing up roads and tearing down buildings to build lanes for bikes which might never show up anyway, we'd need to figure out where all the accidents are happening. Are a lot of people getting hit in the city? As I recall something like half the 800 cyclists killed while riding were intoxicated .... And in my experience, the skilled urban riders aren't at risk so much because they use common sense and have a healthy survival urge.

All the deliberate run-downs and drunk-driver assaults seem to happen on more rural roads ...

One can argue that more people would ride in urban areas if they felt it was safer ... but then, what would constitute "more"? Unless there were hordes of cyclists on the roads in city centers, segregated lanes might be really inefficient wastes of public funds .. and if there were hordes of cyclists, driver behavior would change anyway.

In China (in my experience) people view traffic laws as suggestions ... but somehow they managed to maneuver around huge fleets of cyclists in dense, busy city centers---without physically separated lanes.

I guess what i see, is people are giving up on changing driver behavior after basically no effort, and instead demanding that kids gt no school books so that the 17 cyclists that use a few roads a few times a week can have personal highways. it isn't going to happen and in my view, isn't right.

Fences make the best neighbours.
Good People make good neighbors.

Cranky old poets who hate humankind might prefer stone walls ... but sane, intelligent people don't need physical barriers to keep them in line. And bad people will simply ignore the physical barriers---or fight over exactly where the property line might be.

As I have said repeatedly ... in some certain situations segregated lanes Might be the best solution for maintaining cycling safety ... but everyone is looking for a panacea and there are many, many diseases which cannot be cured with a single nostrum, no matter how well advertised.

Every street is different.

Also ... it seems to me that All these threads are started by a minority of a minority .. a very few folks who ride in cities, don't feel safe, and don't like it. Sort of, a very tiny wheel is squeaking Really loudly and just won't quit.

Show me numbers about cycling safety in urban environments, then we can talk.
Old 05-29-18, 05:12 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked 2,832 Times in 1,545 Posts
Separate will never be equal, and has a high risk for separate and unequal: I.e limit bikes to the segregated infrastructure

Also many 'Separate" designs offer only the illusion of safety over painted bike lane, as an example a segregated lane, that does not have a barrier sufficient to stop a car or the design where parked cars are the buffer, introduction the problem of visibility at street crossings and pedestrians, etc using the lane

bikes have to go door to door, and most front doors of homes are not going to have a segregated bike infrastructure in front of them

over all not real world, workable idea. It can be a small part of the solution, but it is not the solution

Old 05-29-18, 05:30 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,873 Times in 3,161 Posts
I have always been a Thurgood Marshall fan.
Old 05-30-18, 02:46 PM
InOmaha

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Odd. The last time I was in Paris, I didn't see seperated bike infrastructure. Or a higher amount of bike lanes then any other dense city. I dont remember anything that looked like what was in the OP. There were a lot of smaller motorized scooters mixed with traffic. If I saw a bike, it was one of those heavy gray rental bikes mixed in with rather heavy local car traffic. But maybe they just stuck out so I noticed them.

Like this,

Old 05-30-18, 11:26 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked 2,832 Times in 1,545 Posts
Originally Posted by InOmaha
Odd. The last time I was in Paris, I didn't see seperated bike infrastructure. Or a higher amount of bike lanes then any other dense city. I dont remember anything that looked like what was in the OP. There were a lot of smaller motorized scooters mixed with traffic. If I saw a bike, it was one of those heavy gray rental bikes mixed in with rather heavy local car traffic. But maybe they just stuck out so I noticed them.

Like this,

this was similar to my observations when I spent week in paris 2 years ago.......lot's of crazy scooter riders, bikes in the mix with car traffic and not much infrastructure. I was staying i the vicinity of the Eiffel tower

Old 05-31-18, 12:58 AM
raria

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bus Lanes are Used for Bike

The example I referred to was in many areas (but of course not downtown near the Eifel tower!) there are dedicated bus lanes which bikes are allowed to use.

It's a clever win win situation as public transportation is faster than cars (due to the dedicated lanes) and cyclists get their own pathway (most of the time).

Originally Posted by InOmaha

Like this,

Old 05-31-18, 08:40 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Can't compare the US to Europe. Over there people actually want to ride bikes and do their share for the environment( for the most part) Longtime MA commuter. Cars are king, until gas hits say $ 6, not much will change. I used to ride the tandem with my daughter to soccer games, maybe 3 miles. All the parents thought that was such a long way. Lol. There have been some bike, positive changes like bike lanes and bike paths, slowly.