Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-20, 07:03 AM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 288 Posts
Interesting Oddball
listed as a 1955 German built Jaguar 3 Speed

Torpedo hub and ??? trigger?

Last edited by gster; 02-05-20 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-05-20, 03:48 PM
arty dave

Bikes: 30's Speedwell Club Racer, 40's Speedwell 'Z' racer, 50's Unknown Aussie with nice lugs, 50's Speedwell Roadster, 50's Repco Roadster, '63 Raleigh DL-1, 70's Raleigh Sprite, Puch Promenade with Nexus 8

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by gster
Interesting Oddball
listed as a 1955 German built Jaguar 3 Speed

Torpedo hub and ??? trigger?
Wow, this is really cool, nice laid back angles like a DL1, cool hub, lovely pinstriped rims. A barrel shifter very much like this was used by SA I think, but it was earlier, maybe teens, 20's?
Old 02-05-20, 04:16 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Love the fender ornament!!!

The shift cable has a really cool end to it, no nut/bolt clamp to home the cable at the hub end!
Old 02-05-20, 06:25 PM
JJScaliger

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 58 Posts

I got my first commute in today on the Raleigh 3 speed. 5 miles each way with a couple of small hills on the way in. The AW range is ok for me on this short flat ride. 48 x 18

Last week I determined that only 2 gears were engaging in the hub. I flushed the rear hub with a healthy spray of wd40. After letting it set for a couple of days I gave it a try and was able to get all 3 gears to engage, sometimes. I splurged on a new chain indicator and was able to get all 3 gears, most of the time.

That was good enough to give the new ride a chance today. It rode ok, I missed a few shifts at some critical points and had a few gear slips between 3 and 2 while pedalling on the flat.

I think the hub will run smoother as I work the wd40 out of it. I plan to add some heavier oil soon.
Likes For JJScaliger:
Old 02-05-20, 07:09 PM
bluesteak 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by bluesteak
I usually put sewing machine oil in the hole after I take the nut off and let it soak for at least an hour. Then drive it out with a framing hammer supporting the crank arm with a pipe against a solid floor.

I have had to drill a few out.
I finally surrendered and opened my tight wallet. Bought a park tool cotter press on eBay. I couldn’t believe how slick it worked.

Hopefully you folks are up to buying it along with my wrenches from my widow when I die.
Old 02-05-20, 07:24 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by JJScaliger
I missed a few shifts at some critical points and had a few gear slips between 3 and 2 while pedalling on the flat.
If there is some slack in the cable when the bike is in 3rd gear and you are getting the neutral space between 2nd and 3rd that means you have something wrong inside the hub, it could be gummed up old oil, but it could be something else going on internally as well. 3rd gear is generally very consistent as that is where the springs inside the hub want to go without any input from the shifter.
Old 02-05-20, 08:11 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
I think the hub will run smoother as I work the wd40 out of it. I plan to add some heavier oil soon.
I wouldn't wait on that. WD40 goes away fast. Straight 20 weight is good.
Old 02-06-20, 05:05 AM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

I got my first commute in today on the Raleigh 3 speed. 5 miles each way with a couple of small hills on the way in. The AW range is ok for me on this short flat ride. 48 x 18

Last week I determined that only 2 gears were engaging in the hub. I flushed the rear hub with a healthy spray of wd40. After letting it set for a couple of days I gave it a try and was able to get all 3 gears to engage, sometimes. I splurged on a new chain indicator and was able to get all 3 gears, most of the time.

That was good enough to give the new ride a chance today. It rode ok, I missed a few shifts at some critical points and had a few gear slips between 3 and 2 while pedalling on the flat.

It's difficult to diagnose a hub issue through correspondence like this.
JackB makes a good point that it should not slip in 3 (the hub's natural/resting state.)
Slipping in 2 is common and suggests a minor adjustment of the cable
Not engaging in 1 suggests a cable too tight or
something wrong inside the hub..
Mechanical failures are somewhat rare.
Over the years I've only found 2 instances,
one was a warped axle, cause unknown.
The other, a mangled sun gear. caused by over tightening the hub.
The trigger plays a part as well and is susceptible to damage/binding over the years.
Hub, cable and trigger all need to work together but once dialed in, are quite trouble free.
A new cable will stretch a bit and periodic adjustments are needed.
Once it's all sorted, you may want to consider a larger cog.
I prefer a 19T or 20T.
Likes For gster:
Old 02-06-20, 11:06 AM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
It's difficult to diagnose a hub issue through correspondence like this.
JackB makes a good point that it should not slip in 3 (the hub's natural/resting state.)
Slipping in 2 is common and suggests a minor adjustment of the cable
Not engaging in 1 suggests a cable too tight or
something wrong inside the hub..
Mechanical failures are somewhat rare.
Over the years I've only found 2 instances,
one was a warped axle, cause unknown.
The other, a mangled sun gear. caused by over tightening the hub.
The trigger plays a part as well and is susceptible to damage/binding over the years.
Hub, cable and trigger all need to work together but once dialed in, are quite trouble free.
A new cable will stretch a bit and periodic adjustments are needed.
Once it's all sorted, you may want to consider a larger cog.
I prefer a 19T or 20T.
It is hard to tell from posts on a message board. But, the most likely problem is that it is slipping into neutral from 2nd and tightening the cable a twist or two on the barrel adjuster would put things right. The next less likely would be slipping into neutral from 3rd from too tight a cable, but the cable wouldn't be slack in 3rd so it would be more obvious. After that would be a loose guide wheel that slips on the seat tube or loose cable stop on the top tube that keeps messing up the adjustment after you set it. We can already dismiss a bent or rusted link in the indicator chain since it's replaced. After all those, you can consider things inside the hub like sticky pawls.
Old 02-06-20, 11:17 AM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by bluesteak
I finally surrendered and opened my tight wallet. Bought a park tool cotter press on eBay. I couldn’t believe how slick it worked.

Hopefully you folks are up to buying it along with my wrenches from my widow when I die.
One of the cornerstones of my shop, and highest priority in my tool hunt at Westminster this Sunday. I'm even held up in my temporary shop, as without one I can't finish disassembling that burned out Armstrong.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 02-06-20, 01:10 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Need to borrow one? You can use it long enough for disassembly, then again for reassembly.
Old 02-06-20, 01:42 PM
BigChief 

Originally Posted by sykerocker
One of the cornerstones of my shop, and highest priority in my tool hunt at Westminster this Sunday. I'm even held up in my temporary shop, as without one I can't finish disassembling that burned out Armstrong.
I can positively recommend this one from Bikesmith. This is also the best place for replacement cotters.
New Crank Cotter Press
Old 02-06-20, 01:52 PM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
Ah, Kirk Douglas.
Likes For Ballenxj:
Old 02-06-20, 02:10 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
^^^^ RIP Kirk.
Old 02-06-20, 02:32 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
I can positively recommend this one from Bikesmith. This is also the best place for replacement cotters.
New Crank Cotter Press
I decided on this tool as well because you use wrenches on it instead of relying on hand strength (arthritis). And because of this line from his website. "New "Deep Throat" design allows you to orient the press in line with the crank arm for removal of cotters. Holding the tool inline with the arm allows the cupped bolt end to center itself on the offset center of the threaded stem of the cotter."
Old 02-06-20, 06:08 PM
gster

It is hard to tell from posts on a message board. But, the most likely problem is that it is slipping into neutral from 2nd and tightening the cable a twist or two on the barrel adjuster would put things right. The next less likely would be slipping into neutral from 3rd from too tight a cable, but the cable wouldn't be slack in 3rd so it would be more obvious. After that would be a loose guide wheel that slips on the seat tube or loose cable stop on the top tube that keeps messing up the adjustment after you set it. We can already dismiss a bent or rusted link in the indicator chain since it's replaced. After all those, you can consider things inside the hub like sticky pawls.
Good points. I had a hub that just wouldn't adjust until I realized the cable stop was loose and slowly migrating along the top tube.....
Old 02-09-20, 10:46 PM
W.L.SOON 

Bikes: 1950s' GAZELLE 28"WHEEL GENTS ROADSTER (RALEIGH-MADE)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Raleigh roadster rod brake parts for rear Sturmey Archer hub brake.

Hello to all. Firstly,my apologies for bumping into your posts,but it seems that this is the appropriate thread for me to post rather than starting a new thread,as most if not all of the English roadsters/sports owners on the forum are here...

Well,to keep it short: I am restoring my 1950s' Gazelle roadster(by Raleigh,Nottingham, not the Dutch version) 28"wheel 22"gents frame. I am hoping to get the rod brake parts for my Sturmey Archer hub brakes. I have posted a detailed message with diagrams at The Marketplace:Want to Buy forum.

Please do take a look at it and I hope some good folks here would be able to help me out.

My apologies again for intruding. Thank you very much,all the best,BYE&GOD BLESS.

Sincerely,
W.L.SOON,Malaysia
Old 02-10-20, 05:27 AM
BigChief 

Originally Posted by W.L.SOON
Hello to all. Firstly,my apologies for bumping into your posts,but it seems that this is the appropriate thread for me to post rather than starting a new thread,as most if not all of the English roadsters/sports owners on the forum are here...

Well,to keep it short: I am restoring my 1950s' Gazelle roadster(by Raleigh,Nottingham, not the Dutch version) 28"wheel 22"gents frame. I am hoping to get the rod brake parts for my Sturmey Archer hub brakes. I have posted a detailed message with diagrams at The Marketplace:Want to Buy forum.

Please do take a look at it and I hope some good folks here would be able to help me out.

My apologies again for intruding. Thank you very much,all the best,BYE&GOD BLESS.

Sincerely,
W.L.SOON,Malaysia
That's a difficult one. Many of the linkage parts are the same as on regular pad rod brakes, so parts from current production Flying Pigeon or Eastman bikes could be adapted to work. From my experience with American coaster brakes, the pads are rarely worn down, just glazed. Roughing up the braking surfaces with 120 grit sandpaper makes a world of difference. It's a good bet you could get away without replacing the pads.
Old 02-10-20, 08:12 AM
gster

Sincerely,
W.L.SOON,Malaysia
There's a set here, a bit expensive..
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PHILLIPS-Bi...S/282476722509

But I've also seen Asian and Indian re-pros for sale as well.
An email to these guys might turn up something
https://www.hoopriderparts.com/custo...icycle%20parts
Old 02-10-20, 09:08 AM
W.L.SOON 

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
That's a difficult one. Many of the linkage parts are the same as on regular pad rod brakes, so parts from current production Flying Pigeon or Eastman bikes could be adapted to work. From my experience with American coaster brakes, the pads are rarely worn down, just glazed. Roughing up the braking surfaces with 120 grit sandpaper makes a world of difference. It's a good bet you could get away without replacing the pads.
Hello BigChief,thanks for sharing. My S.A. hub brakes are in good condition. It's just that I am missing the proper hardware to operate them:namely the rear brake. I am hoping to find the original hardware/set-up,rather than fabricating from generic parts at the moment. I think I will upload the diagrams here for all to see to get a clearer picture of what I need.

Thank you and GOD BLESS.

W.L.SOON,Malaysia
Old 02-10-20, 09:16 AM
W.L.SOON 

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
There's a set here, a bit expensive..
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PHILLIPS-Bi...S/282476722509

But I've also seen Asian and Indian re-pros for sale as well.
An email to these guys might turn up something
https://www.hoopriderparts.com/custo...icycle%20parts
Hello gster,thanks for sharing. Yes,I have visited Katsaris site and seen that particular set before. I have even purchased some parts from him. And no,I would not pay that price for something which is not the correct/direct fit.

I might try Hoopriderparts,but I aim to give it a shot first at finding the correct parts here.

I will post a couple of diagrams of what I need for the brakes so you guys will get a clearer picture.

Thank you and GOD BLESS.

W.L.SOON,Malaysia
Old 02-10-20, 09:20 AM
W.L.SOON 

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Raleigh roadster rod brake parts for rear Sturmey Archer hub brake.

Hello to all. I am currently trying to find the proper parts for the restoration of my 1950s' Raleigh-made Gazelle,28"wheel 22"gents frame.

I am looking for the correct Front Sturmey Archer hub brake lever for the rod brake. The old catalogue says the part is a HSB 204,but I have yet to find one,but only a HSB 408. Is it the correct/direct replacement for the 204? Please help/advice.

Also looking for the complete rear rod brake actuating parts as circled in red in the second photo. I need the parts to operate the rear S.A. hub brake.

If anyone have these parts for sale/could help me out,please do reply.

Thank you very much. All the best to you all,BYE&GOD BLESS.

Sincerely,
W.L.SOON,Malaysia
Old 02-10-20, 09:27 AM
W.L.SOON 

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Hi.My apologies for copying and pasting my post from the Want to buy forum to here. I just feel that you will see what I need when you see the pics,as not everyone is free to 'go and have a look at another forum on what I want to find/buy'. So here it is. Hope you good folks don't mind. And please do help out/advise.

Thank you very much and GOD BLESS.

W.L.SOON,Malaysia
Old 02-11-20, 08:21 AM
gster

Hi.My apologies for copying and pasting my post from the Want to buy forum to here. I just feel that you will see what I need when you see the pics,as not everyone is free to 'go and have a look at another forum on what I want to find/buy'. So here it is. Hope you good folks don't mind. And please do help out/advise.

Thank you very much and GOD BLESS.

W.L.SOON,Malaysia
https://www.goracycles.com/bicycle-b...ter-india.html
Old 02-11-20, 09:10 AM
W.L.SOON 

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Hello gster. Thank you,appreciate it. They don't seem to have the brake set up that I need,but they do have many other parts that I will spend more time to look at. Thanks again and GOD BLESS.

Sincerely,
W.L.SOON,Malaysia

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.