Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cycling is Too Dangerous. I’m giving it up/cutting back to be safe

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-18, 09:28 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts

Maybe we could have a sticky for this subject so those interested could read/post about it in one place. Wouldn’t that be nice? Kinda like the helmet thread but even safer and more fun! What should it be named?
Old 12-26-18, 09:42 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
I don't know what's the big deal. People decide to stop doing sports of all kinds for a number of reasons, usually injury or fear of injury. It is very common. Not just a bike thing.

A&S is the right place for this discussion. I don't go to the Road Bike forum, or the Touring Forum and try to talk anyone out of their passion. But if they wander in here then they should get the ENTIRE safety spectrum. You can't be safer on a bike than on a wind trainer in your living room except by selling the bike. Quitting riding is obviously the absolute surest way to avoid injury or death ON A BICYCLE. This is a bicycling safety forum after all. Not sure why some people are so fixated on this issue. It's part of the safety spectrum.
Old 12-26-18, 09:57 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
riding on the road? or just riding in general?
Old 12-26-18, 11:48 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Joey: Agreed! I did say "Safer and more fun" Not riding = safer, (as long as you still exercise) More Fun = Reading/posting in the "Where didn't you ride your bike today" thread.

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
Mostly road, it seems. But serious off road riders tell me it's quite common to crash. Doesn't sound very safe to me.
Old 12-26-18, 12:01 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
mostly road
uh huh, agree. I'm lucky enough to be selective where & when I ride, meaning don't commute by bike. I can pick & choose fair weather days with normal traffic for road riding. & as of about 3~4 yrs ago I started riding off-road. not hard core, just unpaved trails. sometimes remote, but mostly tame & always away from cars. had a cpl falls but they were silly & didn't result in any injury. I still like the pleasure of easy rolling on pavement & I like having racked up miles as personal records. but 'm really enjoying this unpaved stuff away from cars!

Old 12-26-18, 12:24 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I'm giving up walking. It's the most dangerous thing I do. Especially trying to be a good citizen and cross only at "protected" intersections and crosswalks.
Old 12-26-18, 12:52 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
It's a legitimate topic, but I vote no on the sticky.

Strikes me as rather odd that someone who gave up the activity would want to continue posting on the subject for very long.
Old 12-26-18, 01:11 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
OTOH You could trip at top of some stair, fall down and bread your neck. Living is a danger keep riding.
Old 12-26-18, 01:49 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18428 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I'm giving up walking. It's the most dangerous thing I do. Especially trying to be a good citizen and cross only at "protected" intersections and crosswalks.
I walk a ton, especially this time of year. My morning commute alone is 1.75 miles each way. More close calls and feel more threatened on foot than on a bike.
Old 12-26-18, 02:46 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
My focus here, and how I altered my cycling, was to do far fewer road miles with auto traffic but ESPECIALLY high speed roadways with speed limits over 35mph, often with rumble strips and no shoulders. I toughed it out for many, many years - 43 to be exact. Cars got wider, motorists look at their phones more than the windshield, and urban sprawl has turned quiet farm-to-market roads into death roads for cars and cyclists.

So I felt I had rolled the dice long enough. Know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em! I don't want to judge anyone, but when someone comes in here searching for safety advice it is certainly legit to give them ALL of the story as each of us sees it. Then they can decide for themselves.

All road users in the USA - motorists, cyclists, and pedestrians are being killed and maimed like there is no tomorrow. Using our nation's highways may not be as dangerous as alligator wrestling, but it's not safe and so much is out of my control that i try to tilt that playing field in my favor in a car or on a bike. Just so happens I can't figure out how to survive a car collision on my bike with a 30-50 mph speed differential. Ever seen a deer, large dog, or pig that has been hit on a highway? That's what we're gonna look like when our luck runs out. Blown to pieces.
And if one more person compares playing in traffic on the highway with walking down a flight of stairs I am going to lose it.
Old 12-26-18, 03:00 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Ever seen a deer, large dog, or pig that has been hit on a highway? That's what we're gonna look like when our luck runs out. Blown to pieces.
Darting in front of vehicles on a highway is indeed dangerous. Cyclists should indeed avoid such actions.
Old 12-26-18, 03:18 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Just noting that there is not a carforums *ANYWHERE* where trolls troll about the dangers of driving.

That said, I will neither encourage nor discourage people on bikes. I will listen to the interested to find out what makes them concerned. But I will also challenge the henny pennies who, looking at noise, claim the sky is falling.

If you want to ride with me, great. If you don’t want to ride with me, great.

In the meantime, why isn’t there a spin subforum here?

-mr. bill
Old 12-26-18, 03:24 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by jon c.
Darting in front of vehicles on a highway is indeed dangerous. Cyclists should indeed avoid such actions.
We are basically "standing still" on a high speed highway. At least an animal darting across the road is only in the line of fire for a moment. Cyclists LIVE in the line of fire. We linger there. We spend our entire ride in the cross-hairs. All of the mayhem threads in A&S bear witness to this. Cyclists are getting plowed over. You can find a new case in the news every few days if you look.
Old 12-26-18, 04:12 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
How 'bout an "Oh, the Drama!" stickie for the Drama Kings, Queens and Henny Penny's of BF to post their Sky is Falling rants?
Old 12-26-18, 07:15 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
How 'bout an "Oh, the Drama!" stickie for the Drama Kings, Queens and Henny Penny's of BF to post their Sky is Falling rants?
How would you describe yourself in this place? Just curious.
Old 12-26-18, 07:30 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
People Who Only Post In Foo
Old 12-26-18, 08:28 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
There's only one thing that puts cyclists in danger: cars.

A cyclist can ride on a major highway and be perfectly safe if there are no cars there. A cyclist can be killed on a quiet neighbourhood street by a speeding car not paying attention.

I know of no instance where a cyclist just fell off his bike and died.

Cyclists who dart in front of cars do so when those cars aren't moving or moving very slowly in congested traffic.
Old 12-26-18, 09:17 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,873 Times in 3,161 Posts
Maybe we could have a sticky for this subject so those interested could read/post about it in one place. Wouldn’t that be nice? Kinda like the helmet thread but even safer and more fun! What should it be named?
Save Yourself for Cancer
Balshazzar’s Feast (Mene Mene Tekel Upharsin)
The Cat’s Ninth
Snake Bit
Live Slow, Die Old, Leave a Butt-Ugly Corpse

Old 12-26-18, 09:29 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,840 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
There's only one thing that puts cyclists in danger: cars.

A cyclist can ride on a major highway and be perfectly safe if there are no cars there. A cyclist can be killed on a quiet neighbourhood street by a speeding car not paying attention.

I know of no instance where a cyclist just fell off his bike and died.
Wouter Weylands would never disagree with you.

On a lighter note, there was a video on here somewhere about a (I think) Canadian guy who slammed into a parked van while riding.

Anyone coming here for "safety safety" doesn't need to hear "Don't ride." That is asinine. They would be looking to Ways to Ride a Bike More Safely. Obviously they have already chosen riding.

A "safety" forum On A Cycling Website" is prima facie about CYCLING safety, not Non-Cycling safety. Offering up "Don't ride" as an option is pure idiocy or pure trolling.

The people coming here posting about stopping road-riding are not looking for advice, they are making declarations. Why the Sturm und Drang, I cannot fathom. Go ride where ever you like.

Some people post on forums often looking for validation, even if it is a negative response---people just want some sign that the world knows they are alive. Some people post to feel smarter than whoever else posted.

Some people really want to share with what they imagine to be a group of like-minded people.

If people want to be told "it is okay if you don't ride on the road ... " well, deeper issues. Whatever.

Funny how little kids find riding a bike so basic and easy it is done almost entirely without thought ... and those kids grow up and suddenly cannot even figure out the most basic things.

Not saying most people are too into themselves or anything ... just saying ....

As for the sticky ... what's the point? Why not post a list of people who don't post any more?

Some folks reach a point where road riding becomes no longer rewarding. They say so. What's to discuss?
Old 12-26-18, 10:08 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Originally Posted by livedarklions

Strikes me as rather odd that someone who gave up the activity would want to continue posting on the subject for very long.
It might be kinda like religion. When some people "see the light", they want to go out and save others.

My focus here, and how I altered my cycling, was to do far fewer road miles with auto traffic but ESPECIALLY high speed roadways with speed limits over 35mph, often with rumble strips and no shoulders. I toughed it out for many, many years - 43 to be exact. Cars got wider, motorists look at their phones more than the windshield, and urban sprawl has turned quiet farm-to-market roads into death roads for cars and cyclists.
Most cyclists already gravitate to lower speed roads and avoid motor traffic when they can. Especially noobs. No learning from the elders required there.

43 years of "toughing it out" with traffic, running reds, carving through traffic and peds, and you're still here to ride and talk about it. Seems pretty safe to me.

EDIT: Extra points for admitting cycling is not as dangerous as alligator wrestling!

Last edited by AlmostTrick; 12-26-18 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-26-18, 10:28 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
I know people who's lives will be cut short by decades because of their fat, sedentary, or substance-abusive lifestyles, or by drunk driving, or by any number of other poor lifestyle choices.

My life may be cut short by bad automobile driving while I'm trying to share the road on my bike. Statistics are in my favor for my life ending through any other cause despite riding 3000 miles a year. I could die on my bike, and the more I ride the higher the probability. But it will never rise to the level of the more common causes of death for typical non-smokers/non-drinkers who leadvacrive lifestyles. Statistics bear out that my life will be a couple years longer, in average if I'm cycling regularly.

There are anomolies. Someone dies on a bike every day somewhere in the world. For that individual, life would have been longer had he or she given up cycling.

If road cycling and mountain biking seem too much risk, and to be sure there IS risk, then there are MUPs, parks, countryside roads less travelled, and indoor setups, all of which will allow you to increase the statistical lifespan while avoiding the low statistical probability of a calamity

I respect your decision but for me giving up a healthy, life-improving pursuit is too much to ask in the name of avoiding the remote, statistically low possibility of meeting with an untimely demise.
Old 12-26-18, 11:29 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Originally Posted by MoAlpha

Save Yourself for Cancer
Balshazzar’s Feast (Mene Mene Tekel Upharsin)
The Cat’s Ninth
Snake Bit
Live Slow, Die Old, Leave a Butt-Ugly Corpse

That's the SPIRIT!!!
Old 12-26-18, 11:31 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

It might be kinda like religion. When some people "see the light", they want to go out and save others.

Most cyclists already gravitate to lower speed roads and avoid motor traffic when they can. Especially noobs. No learning from the elders required there.

43 years of "toughing it out" with traffic, running reds, carving through traffic and peds, and you're still here to ride and talk about it. Seems pretty safe to me.

EDIT: Extra points for admitting cycling is not as dangerous as alligator wrestling!
That being swallowed by a whale bit doesn't sound advisable either.
Old 12-26-18, 11:34 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

If you recall I started a thread once in Pills and Ills called, "Did You Die Today"?
Old 12-27-18, 04:59 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
I don't know what's the big deal. People decide to stop doing sports of all kinds for a number of reasons, usually injury or fear of injury. It is very common. Not just a bike thing.

A&S is the right place for this discussion. I don't go to the Road Bike forum, or the Touring Forum and try to talk anyone out of their passion. But if they wander in here then they should get the ENTIRE safety spectrum. You can't be safer on a bike than on a wind trainer in your living room except by selling the bike. Quitting riding is obviously the absolute surest way to avoid injury or death ON A BICYCLE. This is a bicycling safety forum after all. Not sure why some people are so fixated on this issue. It's part of the safety spectrum.
Ridiculous analogy.
You don’t go to the road bike forum to try and talk anyone out of their passion(riding a bicycle), so nobody should come to A&S with any viewpoint other than yours which is that riding a bike is deadly and the same as engaging in military combat?

Uhh, thanks I guess for not coming on to a bike forum to talk people out of riding a bike...
Squirrels are going to act squirrelly. If at some point you don’t want to ride on the road anymore that’s cool. It’s your life.
No need to shout it to the world though.

Last edited by downhillmaster; 12-27-18 at 05:06 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.