Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
Reload this Page >

Message to Those Who Don't Like the New Format

Search
Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Message to Those Who Don't Like the New Format

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-09, 04:06 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Make this:

Look like this:
Old 11-25-09, 04:08 PM
gregf83 

Provide the option to remove the thread preview from the 'new post' screen.
Old 11-25-09, 04:11 PM
gregf83 

Post a list of known bugs or problems being worked on as a sticky. That way people won't have to read through 600 messages to determine if the problem they are reporting has already been noted and is being worked on.
Old 11-25-09, 04:20 PM
RedC

Bikes: Trek Navigator, LeMond Buenos Aires, Madone 5.9, S-Works Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It has been said making the fonts larger would help us old folks. The other problem I'm having is probably my ignorance but I used to get to the bottom of the thread and choose to continue with that group, ie fifty plus or clydesdale by clicking on the button but that doesn't seem to be as easy as before what am I doing wrong?
Old 11-25-09, 04:28 PM
RedC

Bikes: Trek Navigator, LeMond Buenos Aires, Madone 5.9, S-Works Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim
It very apparant that whoever designed the new software doesnt participate in online forums....

1. Quick Navidation: Doesnt work. It takes you to the top of page your on. It should take you back the main section where all the threads within a sub-forum are located.
2. Last Page: Its gone. there should be an option to click 'last page' like there previously was.
3. Font size. I'm note sure what size font I'm typing right now becasue I can barely see it to make an educated guess as to its size. I shouldnt have to click the a/A over to the top right. The default font size in regards to what I'm typing should be considerably bigger than it is.
4. Colors. Need more contrast. Its too difficult to differentiate different aspects of the forum such as icons an elements. Yhe mellow tones/hues or whatever they're called seem to blend together. On one work computer things are so light they dont show up.
Quick Navigation! that's what I was trying to make work. So maybe it's not just me
Old 11-26-09, 12:34 PM
pacificaslim
Surf Bum

Bikes: Lapierre Pulsium 500 FdJ, Ritchey breakaway cyclocross, vintage trek mtb.

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
GregF's "make this look like this post," very clearly shows one of the major problems people keep complaining about: too much white space! Thanks for posting that example. (heck, it could even be smaller since there is still wasted space between Tom's name and the title of site administrator. It doesn't need all that space for some stars and that "more info" down arrow: that wraps to another line because tom's name is long, but there are better solutions than that).

Tom, please get someone who knows what they are doing to go in and fix the style sheets and move things around to be more efficient.
Old 11-26-09, 07:58 PM
kendall

Bikes: too many

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry, to me it looks like the scheme we used in the k-4 section of the special ed wing.
contains everything I disliked about Xp when it came out. The whole fisher price/preschool layout has to go.

Sorry, but I get offended when I am presented with something that uses all the visual cues that are recommended for low IQ subjects.

Ken.
Old 11-27-09, 04:18 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Compare these 2 screenshots which I had left over in my Opera start screen: Guess which one is using screen real estate better with the same elements displayed.
Attachment 126912

Can the new one be fixed? This is important especially with netbooks with limited screen real estate and many widescreens which are wide but not that tall.
Old 11-27-09, 05:13 PM
gtofan

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I cannot post new threads, get a screen with the yellow banner....can someone PM me to get more details....started after switch to new version, thanks.

This is what I get:

Last edited by gtofan; 11-27-09 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-27-09, 06:48 PM
Bearonabike

Bikes: Jamis Aurora, Fuji S10S (X2), Jamis Coda

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I find myself visiting less and liking that more. I understand the stability issues but frankly, that concern subjugated the user interface and that affected the traffic levels that make BF a success. I can't help but notice the traffic is down, to correspond with the minuscule font size my 40+ eyes have a hard time seeing. My recommendation is to develop format options for those if us who:

1) Want to see more threads per page. The current software makes me page through too much. We all know that a thread relegated to page 2 is dead. I work for a living and find topics I am interested in have few responses because, while they were new at 8:00 AM, by 6:00 PM they are page 3 news.

2) Kill the white space. It looks like it may have been reduced some, but it needs to be reduced another 50%.

3) Enlarge the font. Reading BF now hurts after 10 minutes, making me, and likely others, want to go elsewhere.

4) Enhance the contrast.

5) Avoid Beta anything. No better way to go from the first to the worst than to pick software that hasn't been beaten a bit. BF doesn't need any new bells and whistles to establish itself, it is (or at least was) out front. If change is necessary (an I know it was) then move from strength to strength. What I've seen has convinced me NOT to subscribe. Right now, it simply isn't worth the money.
Old 11-27-09, 09:00 PM
koffee brown

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
People complaining, whether annoying or not, have valid concerns. Rather than admonishing and scolding, it should be an opportunity to listen and learn.

I have 20/20 vision, and I can't read bikeforums that well. The white space is a bit much for me. My rods and cones (joke) are not stimulated very well by the baby blues and pinks. I don't think the font size works very well. Can there be a way for members to choose what font they'd like to see, click on it, and be able to read it better? Half the time, I feel like I'm squinting and I have a headache when I'm done.

Why isn't there some kind of handy guide to how to use all these new features? I don't really spend much time on bikeforums, but I'm not finding that I have a lot of time trying to figure out what everything means. In any forum I've ever frequented, I've always found them easy to read and easy to navigate. I'm not finding it as easy to figure out what all the bells and whistles are.

Finally, why stick with the vBulletin? If you're paying for a service, and they can't provide it, rather than just get some new crap beta junk they've thrown together, can't you take the time to shop around and try out different software programs that might work better for you? I'm sure vBulletin isn't the only software program on the planet.

If you plan to stay with vBulletin, at least give some kind of guide as to what everything means, consider changing the colors, and enlarging the font. Well, at least before I go blind.

koffee
Old 11-28-09, 12:28 AM
randya

Bikes: who cares?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+1 on bigger font sizes - especially in the text entry boxes - and on less bright white background and pastel colors.

also +1 on more threads per page, I can't find anywhere in the user controls to change the settings for this.

maybe consider hiring a person with some actual graphic design experience to help make things look better?

also, we're still waiting for a 'go to last post' by thread link like the old format had, not having this makes navigation to the last post of any thread considerably more difficult

thanks!
Old 11-28-09, 12:38 AM
randya

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pacificaslim
The fact that you have to explain that clicking on the time of the post will take you to that "last" post like hitting the "last" button used to proves that the UI design for that function is lacking. Just put something obvious, like a "Last" link, you know, something that tells you what it is going to do before you even try it. Predictability and consistency are the marks of good user interface design, and this software totally fails in that regard.
this is not true. clicking on the time of the last post only takes you to the top of the last page, not to the actual last post
Old 11-28-09, 12:40 AM
bmclaughlin807
Crankenstein

Bikes: Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by randya
this is not true. clicking on the time of the last post only takes you to the top of the last page, not to the actual last post
May be different for different browsers.... works fine for me.
"There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old 11-28-09, 12:46 AM
randya

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm using Safari
Old 11-28-09, 12:52 AM
bmclaughlin807
Crankenstein

Bikes: Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Chrome here. I know there are some issues with IE (who uses that, anyway?)
"There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old 11-28-09, 08:30 AM
gtofan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anybody know a moderator who is online frequently that can help me with my prob in the earlier post?

Been visiting this board for 6 years and I feel we need to go back to the other version with larger fonts...all that we needed.
Old 11-28-09, 09:22 AM
tntyz

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by gtofan
Anybody know a moderator who is online frequently that can help me with my prob in the earlier post?

Been visiting this board for 6 years and I feel we need to go back to the other version with larger fonts...all that we needed.
Assuming you mean the ability to start a new thread . . . When you get the screen that you see in post #84, try hitting the TAB key a few times. You should eventually see the boxes you need for entering the subject and content.

It's not so obvious, but that page (on IE 8 at least) is coming in as really wide and the input boxes are centered on it, so you have to scroll to get to it. Though it is actually faster to TAB as noted above. Thanks to the crew at BF for this suggestion.
Old 11-28-09, 10:45 AM
gtofan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks....that't the ticket.....try to scroll and it goes by in a blink..missed it everytime.
Old 11-28-09, 01:15 PM
nekohime
I... Don't care.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First lemme just say great job on fixing the white space problem! There still is too much white, but at least now it's tolerable compared to before when I would want to run around tearing my eyes out after visiting BF.

So now onto the problems/suggestions:

1) Can we change the color of the light gray headers to each post? Something dark colored, rather than light colored, would work better in distinguishing posts from each other and would also help alleviate the problem of too much eye strain due to too much white and washed out colors. I suggest using some shade of blue; I kinda like the blue that is used for the +Reply to Thread button, but I understand that if you use that shade there will be problems distinguishing elements. Maybe a darker gray, perhaps? Ok, I will stop rambling. Bottomline: change the light gray headers, it is icky.

2) I'm using firefox 3.5.5, and I cannot, for the life of me, see the buttons that used to be there in the posting box. Cannot see smiley box, cannot see quote, link, insert pic, buttons etc. It is driving me nuts to have to type in stuff like the [whatever tag codes] instead of being able to just click a button and have the code inserted for you.
Old 11-28-09, 03:35 PM
randya

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
here's another problem I'm noticing repeatedly:

when you use 'reply with quote', the cursor in the text screen should ideally open below the quote you are replying to, but if the quote you are replying to is more than a sentence or two, the cursor in the text box opens somewhere in the middle of the quote itself.
Old 11-28-09, 11:53 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Along with the lack of a Forum Jump button that actually works, the small font and low contrast is very close to driving me away from Bikeforums after several years of use.

Also, the avatars are too small. Since member upgrades are supposed to include larger avatars, this is a breach of contract, IMO.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 11-29-09, 12:04 AM
dendawg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
You used to be able to go directly to the last page of a thread directly from the thread header. Now I have to open a thread before I can navigate to the last page.
Old 11-29-09, 12:19 AM
pacificaslim
Surf Bum

Bikes: Lapierre Pulsium 500 FdJ, Ritchey breakaway cyclocross, vintage trek mtb.

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
That isn't exactly true, it's just that the way to do it is not very obvious. When you look at a thread in the index, you will see the name of the last person to post and the time they did so. If you click on that time, you'll be taken to that post on the last page.

Alternatively, to the left of the thread title words themselves you'll see a circle with two downward facing arrows in it. That link will take you to the first unread post in the thread, i.e. if you finished after the second post on page three, and then come back to the forum later and the thread is ten pages long, clicking on that arrow thing will take you the third post on page three and you can read from there all the new posts.

The fact those two things aren't obvious to us means the site is poorly designed. Period.
Old 11-29-09, 01:26 AM
randya

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pacificaslim
That isn't exactly true, it's just that the way to do it is not very obvious. When you look at a thread in the index, you will see the name of the last person to post and the time they did so. If you click on that time, you'll be taken to that post on the last page.
this doesn't work in all browsers, in Safari clicking on the time of last post only takes you to the top of the last page

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.