Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Custis and Mt. Vernon Trail Status

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-09, 08:20 AM
JeffC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anybody ride these over Christmas weekend or today, 12/28? I'm needing a commuting fix. While I
think all the rain we had melted most of the snow, it is hard to tell. Any updates appreciated!
Old 12-28-09, 09:21 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 2,208 Times in 1,486 Posts
I haven't been on either but my guess is there's still snow where the trails are shaded. I went out on the roads yesterday and there was snow in spots where buildings and trees kept the sun from hitting areas.
Old 12-28-09, 10:11 AM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
From Falls Church inbound to DC it's in good shape. West of there it's sketchy in some spots, but if you've ridden it you undoubtedly know where the problem spots usually are and it's no different. .
Old 12-28-09, 11:27 AM
popsicleian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't speak for the MVT west of the 14th St. bridge, but I had no problems at all with the part from Four Mile Run to the bridge. A few patches of snow/ice, but very easily avoidable. There was only one place I had to walk it on my ride today--the route 1 bridge over 4 Mile Run. It was covered with huge piles of snow.
Old 12-28-09, 11:41 AM
bethbikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mt. Vernon and Four Mile Run Trails

Originally Posted by popsicleian
I can't speak for the MVT west of the 14th St. bridge, but I had no problems at all with the part from Four Mile Run to the bridge. A few patches of snow/ice, but very easily avoidable. There was only one place I had to walk it on my ride today--the route 1 bridge over 4 Mile Run. It was covered with huge piles of snow.
I'm feeling a little claustrophobic myself not having bike commuted in almost 2 weeks. I rode from my home near Mt. Vernon yesterday down to the Wilson Bridge and all was well except the wooden bridges - really am tempted to take small shovel with me - which were a slushy mess. I'm mostly interested in how Four Mile Run is looking from the Mt. Vernon trail to Bluemont if anyone has insight?
Old 12-28-09, 12:38 PM
TurbineBlade
Kid A

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I walked down Huntington Ave yesterday from the metro and could barely walk for the huge snow drifts on the sidewalk. I decided to ditch the Surly and ride metro today and probably tomorrow.

I ride in pitch dark both ways and don't like to hit unexpected ice.
Old 12-29-09, 08:04 AM
JeffC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I needed to test some new equipment (new saddle and gloves from Christmas) so I just did the short 1.5 mile trip to the East Falls Church Metro down the W&OD. Equipment passed with flying colors, no cold
hands and comfy saddle but needs adjustment. While there were bands of ice on the short section
of the W&OD in Falls Church, it was no big deal to avoid in daylight--or with a good headlight at night
I would suppose. I'm going to try the full ride tomorrow.
Old 12-29-09, 09:02 AM
popsicleian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone know who I can contact regarding the snow and ice on the Route 1 bridge over 4 Mile Run? The only way to get around it on the way to work is to ride or walk with the bike on the roadway against traffic, which can be harrowing. I think 4 Mile Run is the divider between Alexandria and Arlington, but I don't know who's responsible for the bridge.

On an unrelated note, that wind sure was brutal this morning.
Old 12-29-09, 12:08 PM
jhhall
SkreaminQuadz

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale Prophet 1000, 2006 Litespeed Teramo, 2007 Bianchi San Jose, 2007 Surly Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been riding the W&OD - Custis for the past couple of days. It's mostly clear; however, there are still quite a few patches of ice and it's especially difficult to see in the dark. I'm using studded tires though. During the daylight, I'd be comfrotable riding it; however, I would recommend studded if you'll be riding in the dark. Having said all this, I'm quite a wuss about falling and some would say overly cautious.
Old 12-29-09, 12:30 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 64 Posts
I use the Four Mile Run segment from Arlington Mill to the water treatment plant. There are a few icy bumps, and I could imagine someone without studded tires having a surprise in the dark. Otherwise, it's in fine shape.

Paul
Old 12-29-09, 01:20 PM
popsicleian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As best I can tell, the Route 1 bridge is maintained by VDOT, not Arlington or Alexandria, so I emailed them. Hope they respond or at least do something about it...
Old 12-29-09, 05:41 PM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by popsicleian
As best I can tell, the Route 1 bridge is maintained by VDOT, not Arlington or Alexandria, so I emailed them. Hope they respond or at least do something about it...

I like what Arlington did with the sidewalks near the famous "S Turn of Death". Plowed them over with snow and put "sidewalk closed" signs up. Problem solved.. LOL.
Old 12-29-09, 10:03 PM
popsicleian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CCrew
I like what Arlington did with the sidewalks near the famous "S Turn of Death". Plowed them over with snow and put "sidewalk closed" signs up. Problem solved.. LOL.
Brilliant! Actually, they finally plowed the sidewalk today. It had been cleared by the time I rode home tonight. Yay!
Old 12-30-09, 08:09 AM
JeffC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did it this morning from Falls Church to downtown DC. It's basically clear with a few surprises. If you do it the first time during the day, probably would not be much of a problem at night with a good light. I went a bit slower and tried to be very aware of any ice. I only had to dismount twice near the Memorial Bridge, on both of the bridge there are places where runoff from the GW Parkway flows on the trail and freezes and forms some ice patches which cover the entire trail for a few yards. .Another area to watch out for is from the S Curve of Death, across the bridge over Spout Run and along that newly paved stretch, there is lots of ice there too but I never had to dismount, just take it slow in a few spots.