Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

me vs down hill pothole at 30+ (pics)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-10, 03:08 PM
viros20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hit this nasty pothole while flying downhill at around 1am last week. Never saw it coming looked over my shoulder looked ahead and it just caught me by surprise. I had good lighting to prevent this type of thing but it didnt help.

damaged my mavic ksyrium sl premiums which have been really good to me but I guess this pothole at that speed will ruin any bombproof wheel.

dented my caad 9 also. Im planning on filing a claim with the city and hope I get lucky. I got lucky in this crash with no injurys other than scrapes.

ruined my jacket, bibs and a cracked helmet also

also some input would be nice on whether to send the wheels to mavic for rebuild or just purchase rims and have someone relace them locally??

pics will be posted shortly

Last edited by viros20; 01-05-10 at 05:30 PM. Reason: new site sucks
Old 01-05-10, 03:21 PM
viros20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

close up

bent rim

Old 01-05-10, 03:28 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28791 Post(s)
Liked 1,881 Times in 1,337 Posts
Originally Posted by viros20
Hit this nasty pothole while flying downhill at around 1am last week.
??
Old 01-05-10, 03:44 PM
viros20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
group ride starts at 10pm monday nights ends around 1-2am..
Old 01-05-10, 03:46 PM
cyclefreaksix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Yeah, good luck trying to get the city to pay. Sounds like you were going too fast for your lighting.
Old 01-05-10, 03:53 PM
viros20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lighting was a dinotte 200l & fenix LD2 on my helmet, stupid thing caught me by surprise, will be the first to admit its my fault for not scanning ahead.
Old 01-05-10, 03:56 PM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I'm sorry, asking the city to pay for your boneheaded maneuver is quite crappy IMHO.

I've always heard (and adhered to) three rules for night riding:

1) Slow down.
2) Have lighting to see and be seen.
3) Slow down.

You violated all three. You should count your blessings you weren't hurt in the crash, then hit by a driver not watching out in the dark.

Foolish.

Do solo recovery and training rides at night and save the group hammerfests for those times you can see.

That said, I'm genuinely glad you're ok. Could have been a crapload worse right?
Old 01-05-10, 03:56 PM
cyclefreaksix

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
It happens to all of us. I didn't mean to come across as an ass. Pity about the rims, do you have a back up set?
Old 01-05-10, 04:06 PM
gr@sshopper

Bikes: Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like an incycle/scvelo bike. Where were you/where's the pothole? Help out the socal brethren.
Old 01-05-10, 04:13 PM
viros20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gr@sshopper
Looks like an incycle/scvelo bike. Where were you/where's the pothole? Help out the socal brethren.

yeah its a incycle caad9, potholes on Cahuenga Pass W toward the bottom on the right, just before HillPark Dr
Old 01-05-10, 04:17 PM
bismillah

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by khatfull

1) Slow down.
3) Slow down.
You forgot one, Khatful. Dont ever ever accidentally the whole thing.
Old 01-05-10, 04:22 PM
viros20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sorry, asking the city to pay for your boneheaded maneuver is quite crappy IMHO.

1) Slow down.
3) Slow down.

You violated all three. You should count your blessings you weren't hurt in the crash, then hit by a driver not watching out in the dark.

Foolish.

Do solo recovery and training rides at night and save the group hammerfests for those times you can see.

That said, I'm genuinely glad you're ok. Could have been a crapload worse right?
definatly glad i didnt get hurt, i figure it doesnt hurt to ask

let me ask you this, do you always drive at the speedlimit? what if your going a lil over the speed limit and a pot hole causes over 1000 dollars damage on your car?. would you not ask the city for help cause you were speeding?

as far as i see, it could of happend in the daytime, or even on a flat section of road.
Old 01-05-10, 04:26 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 561 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22690 Post(s)
Liked 9,036 Times in 4,203 Posts
Glad you are ok.

And yes, the new site sucks (still).
Old 01-05-10, 04:27 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
I got lucky in this crash with no injurys other than scrapes.

ruined my jacket, bibs and a cracked helmet also
Old 01-05-10, 04:42 PM
viros20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclefreaksix
It happens to all of us. I didn't mean to come across as an ass. Pity about the rims, do you have a back up set?
kept the stock wheelset, hoping it doesnt take to long to get the wheelset fixed,
Old 01-05-10, 04:47 PM
hodie21
Sucking Wheel at the back

Bikes: Lynskey Helix Sport, Lynskey M290, Cervelo S3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could have been much worse. Lucky you didn't go end over end.
Old 01-05-10, 04:50 PM
jrennie
Race to train

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Umm, it's in the center of two lanes(from the looks of the pic) kinda hard to get the city to pay for it when you shouldn't be riding there.
Old 01-05-10, 04:53 PM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
definatly glad i didnt get hurt, i figure it doesnt hurt to ask

let me ask you this, do you always drive at the speedlimit? what if your going a lil over the speed limit and a pot hole causes over 1000 dollars damage on your car?. would you not ask the city for help cause you were speeding?

as far as i see, it could of happend in the daytime, or even on a flat section of road.
Do I always drive the speed limit? Now, yes...after nearly getting my license yanked I learned my lesson. The only time I'll go faster is for merging if that's what's necessary to merge safely.

No, I would never ask the city for help in repairing my car (speeding or not) unless a pothole or other hazard were completely hidden by something of the city's doing. Potholes and other hazards are part of the cost, risk, and privilege of driving. It's incumbent on m to operate my vehicle (be it car or bike) safely and at a speed at which I can identify road hazards in enough time to identify and avoid them.

Yes, it could have happened in the daytime...but it would be FAR less likely to. Far less. You bombed down the hill too fast for conditions. You played the game, you lost. It's a shame but them's the facts.

And, honestly, if you think that's a pothole come to MN, we'll show you what the hell a pothole is...heck, we get frost heave here in the spring that's damned near explosive and shuts down roads
Old 01-05-10, 04:55 PM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jrennie
Umm, it's in the center of two lanes(from the looks of the pic) kinda hard to get the city to pay for it when you shouldn't be riding there.
I wasn't even gonna go there...
Old 01-05-10, 05:01 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
:/

I too hit a pot hole at that speed a while ago, but it was around a corner. Cracked my rear rim
Old 01-05-10, 05:11 PM
viros20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
was riding on the left lane, looked over my shoulder to merge to right incase cars were coming thats when I hit & went flying,

the city/state gets enough of my money I expect them to repair stuff like this especially on major streets with heavy traffic. doubt ill get a dime all im saying is doesnt hurt to fill out a form & submit a claim. you never know maybe the the claims guy/girl is also a cyclist.
Old 01-05-10, 05:11 PM
Tristan86

Bikes: LD-796R frame with Rival

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jrennie
You can ride there if there isn't cars, I don't think that is the problem
Old 01-05-10, 05:25 PM
viros20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tristan86
You can ride there if there isn't cars, I don't think that is the problem
+1 , the road also starts to wind, also there are other pot holes closer to the right.
Old 01-05-10, 05:38 PM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No, I would never ask the city for help in repairing my car (speeding or not) unless a pothole or other hazard were completely hidden by something of the city's doing. Potholes and other hazards are part of the cost, risk, and privilege of driving. It's incumbent on m to operate my vehicle (be it car or bike) safely and at a speed at which I can identify road hazards in enough time to identify and avoid them.
Sounds to me like you are, potentially, throwing money away. Most public agencies who maintain roads have at least some responsibility for using the public funds they receive to keep roads in usable condition. Often, if your vehicle is damaged by a problem with a road (read: pothole) you can receive compensation for the damage because the agency failed to fulfill it's responsibility.

If I were the OP, I would definitely contact the agency responsible for maintaining the road. In the town where I used to live, the Public Works department was legally liable for damages if road problems weren't fixed within a certain period of time after they were initially notified of the problem...
Old 01-05-10, 05:55 PM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by sstorkel
Sounds to me like you are, potentially, throwing money away. Most public agencies who maintain roads have at least some responsibility for using the public funds they receive to keep roads in usable condition. Often, if your vehicle is damaged by a problem with a road (read: pothole) you can receive compensation for the damage because the agency failed to fulfill it's responsibility.

If I were the OP, I would definitely contact the agency responsible for maintaining the road. In the town where I used to live, the Public Works department was legally liable for damages if road problems weren't fixed within a certain period of time after they were initially notified of the problem...
I simply live under the belief that I'm responsible for what goes on in my life, good or bad unless gross and deliberate negligence occurs. That "pothole" isn't gross or deliberate negligence. Good reason not to speed in the car, or bomb down a hill on the bike in the dark. One takes the chance and one suffers the consequences.

And, when push comes to shove, that "pothole" has absolutely NO effect on a car...so in it's mind the public agency feels it has fulfilled the obligation. We on bikes come far down the list. Is it right? No. Is it fact? Yes.

The OP 1) rode fast 2) at night 3) and looked away from the road ahead. Remove any one of those three and the crash more than likely doesn't happen. Who's at fault?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.