Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

2003 Giant Rainier

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

2003 Giant Rainier

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-05, 07:22 PM
Davesnhere

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hello, Today I purchased a Giant Rainier for $750.00. I didn't realize it was the 03 model until I got home. My question is should I return it for the 05 model and pay the difference? Or keep it? TIA
Old 04-02-05, 08:22 PM
madbiker555
close to 2000

Bikes: 05 Brodie Diablo - 06 Norco 416

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's not that much difference between the 03 model and the 05 model. I would say keep the 03.

(P.S. YAY my 300th post )
Old 04-02-05, 11:27 PM
willtsmith_nwi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Davesnhere
Hello, Today I purchased a Giant Rainier for $750.00. I didn't realize it was the 03 model until I got home. My question is should I return it for the 05 model and pay the difference? Or keep it? TIA
HUGE difference

05 ship with SRAM x.7
03 is Shimano Deore

05 ships with Sole Hydro Disc brakes
03 ships with with Mechanicals discs (Though nice ones ... Avid)

05 ships with Truvativ cranks with Gigapipe bottom bracket
03 ships with generic Giant cranks (garbage) with generic bottom bracket

05 lower top tube for more clearence
03 higher top tube

05 Hutchinson Bulldogs
03 Hutchinson Scorpions (TOTAL junk)

05 Sun Rynolite RIMS (SCHWING!!!!!)
03 Weinmann ZAC (????)

05 Formula 32H hubs
03 Generic Shimano Hubs

05 Marzochi (SCHWING!!!) EXR fork
03 Manitou Axle Super (???)

05 Easton stem and handlebars
03 Generic stem and handlebars

2005 https://www.giantbicycle.com/us/030.0...sp?model=11037
2003 https://www.giantbicycle.com/us/030.0...03&model=10635

On the balance, I'd have to say that the 2005 model is better equipped. The SRAM fittings are WAY better than the Shimano offerings at Deore level (you get ESP 1:1 which is easier to keep in tune. Though, not sure about Hayes So1e brakes vs the venerable Avid Mechs).

What I AM sure of is that the 2003 is 2 year old stock and the bike shop should be selling it at or near wholesale. You can get a better 05 Rainier for $800 (MSRP $850) EASY!!! And I'd wager that you could dicker a shop down to $780 for the 05 Rainier.

Hell, at my local shop they're knocking $50 off $300 bikes from last years inventory. That 2 year old Rainier should have cost $700 at the most, realistically $200 under current MSRP is an appropriate price for two year old inventory (especially when it comes with a piece of crap crank/bottom bracket combo).

I would suggest that you find a better price on a similarly equipped bike elsewhere. Than RETURN your Giant Rainier. Hopefully he'll offer you a lower price OR equipment upgrades. At the minimum, he should rip that POS crank/bottom bracket and replace it with a Deore minimum (I'd ask for LX). Those tires also have to go. They are COMPLETE garbage that only operate at a merely functional level when your riding on perfectly groomed dirt trails.

Suggest one of the following replacement tires:
Hutchinson Python
Hutchinson Mosquito
Panaracer Fire XC Pro
Panaracer Cinder
IRC Mythos
Kenda Karma (only if you're a light rider)
WTB Velociraptor
WTB Weirwolf
WTB Mutano Raptor

Those are the tires I can think of quickly that are "well regarded". The Scorpions are a joke, I know because I got them on my 2004 Giant Yukon. I quickly replaced them with older Fire XC Pros. I'm now riding Cinders.

Those are the one's that I can think of off the top of my head that are well regarded.
Old 04-02-05, 11:31 PM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
$750 is about what that bike sold for NEW!! You got torched.
Old 04-02-05, 11:34 PM
Davesnhere

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yeah, I'm really getting mad now! I assumed that the $750 was the sale price for an 05, not a 2 year old bike! I'm gonna be knocking on their door first thing Monday morning!
Old 04-03-05, 12:29 AM
willtsmith_nwi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I'm really getting mad now! I assumed that the $750 was the sale price for an 05, not a 2 year old bike! I'm gonna be knocking on their door first thing Monday morning!
I hope you didn't ride it in the meantime. If there is any dirt on the bike, make sure you get it off. If they give your crap, threaten to call the BBB on them. They were probably were VERY pleased with themselves for taking you so badly.

Time to get sad, Kozy.com is a nice referece point for the approximate price you should pay for a bike.

2004 Rainier Closeout: $700
https://kozy.com/site/itemdetails.cfm...g=1&sort=Price

2005 Rainier: $800
https://kozy.com/site/itemdetails.cfm...g=1&sort=Price
Old 04-03-05, 07:45 AM
Davesnhere

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yeah, I'm kinda glad we had a near monsoon here yesterday, so the bike has never touched to pavement, so I'm gonna be waiting at the door when they open tomorrow!
Old 04-03-05, 08:19 AM
PCS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an 05 rainier and I'm really liking it, good parts for the $ imho. I got it for ~ 1000 Cdn (830 USD), don't let this shop jerk you around with the 03 model, I can't believe that they sold you that. They sound pretty sketchy to me. Hope it works out for you.
Old 04-04-05, 12:01 PM
Davesnhere

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
OK, I went to the shop first thing this morning. They took the bike back, no problems (said he thought I knew it was an 03 model), I spent the better part of the morning test riding a bunch of bikes, and decided on an 04 Cannondale Jekyll 800 that he gave me a great deal on! I was gonna just order an 05 Rainier, but after riding the Jekyll I was amazed at well it fit me and just felt better compared to all the other bikes I tried. OK, just wanted to give you guys an update, right now it's 60 degree's and sunny here in Jersey, so I'm out to tear up the woods a little on my new toy!
Old 04-05-05, 04:32 PM
willtsmith_nwi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, I went to the shop first thing this morning. They took the bike back, no problems (said he thought I knew it was an 03 model), I spent the better part of the morning test riding a bunch of bikes, and decided on an 04 Cannondale Jekyll 800 that he gave me a great deal on! I was gonna just order an 05 Rainier, but after riding the Jekyll I was amazed at well it fit me and just felt better compared to all the other bikes I tried. OK, just wanted to give you guys an update, right now it's 60 degree's and sunny here in Jersey, so I'm out to tear up the woods a little on my new toy!

What kind of "great deal" did he give you on the Jekyll????

NEVER buy a bike without researching it.
Old 04-06-05, 11:24 AM
Davesnhere

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by willtsmith_nwi
What kind of "great deal" did he give you on the Jekyll????

NEVER buy a bike without researching it.
The Jekyll was one of about a dozen bikes that were on my list of maybe's before I had originally decided on the Ranier. At the time I really didn't want to spend over a grand on a bike, but when he offered it to me for $1500(1899.99 was retail in 04), I decided to jump on it (pun intended!)