Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Such vitriol they have for motorcycles, I wonder how they feel about bicycles...

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Such vitriol they have for motorcycles, I wonder how they feel about bicycles...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-10, 10:18 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13659 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts

https://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...gn-of-trouble/

In San Diego County the state agencies have been posting the message “Share the road. Look twice for motorcyclists” on highway information signs. Apparently these messages have stirred the local motorists...

Some drivers apparently saw red.

“None of the calls we’ve gotten have been positive,” said Edward Cartagena, spokesman for the San Diego Caltrans office. “One call was a 20-minute rant.”

Since the electronic message was posted statewide Feb. 11, Caltrans has received about 800 phone calls, mostly positive. “Except for here. I don’t know why,” Cartagena said. ("here" is San Diego County)

Kinda makes you wonder how those motorists feel about sharing the road with anybody... especially those on two wheels.

Old 02-19-10, 10:22 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Maybe some folks see motorcyclists as having different sets of rules to follow (filtering legal in CA) and also base their negative opinions on those who flaunt the laws and safe driving practices as they stand out more.
Old 02-19-10, 10:30 AM
annc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's a bit of backlash against motorcycles in Northern California also. My guess is that people don't like being told they're bad drivers.
Old 02-19-10, 10:40 AM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
To all the cagers that rail against motorcyclists. AYHSMB.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 02-19-10, 11:46 AM
Da Tinker
Can't ride enough!

Bikes: IFab Crown Jewel, Giant Defy, Hardtail MTB, Fuji finest, Bianchi FG conversion

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could this be the result of having different rules for different users of the road?

Kinda sounds familiar, only the names have changed.
Old 02-19-10, 12:14 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Da Tinker
Could this be the result of having different rules for different users of the road?

Kinda sounds familiar, only the names have changed.
"different rules?" or different profiles... I mean after all, car drivers can't really split lanes. Motorcycles and bikes have different operating characteristics.

But the other BIG thing is that in the same state, there were different responses to the same signs... the article points out that the ONLY negative messages they got were from So Cal... where the "car is king" (nobody walks in LA).

To me this really shows that different areas have different attitudes and driving habits.
Old 02-19-10, 12:22 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Certainly one of the reasons some people choose to travel by motorcycle in congested areas in California is because it allows them to travel faster (both legally and not) than other vehicle types. The legal allowance to split lanes is well taken advantage of and for some riders may encourage more risky behaviors.
Old 02-19-10, 01:51 PM
Da Tinker
Can't ride enough!

Bikes: IFab Crown Jewel, Giant Defy, Hardtail MTB, Fuji finest, Bianchi FG conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
"different rules?" or different profiles... I mean after all, car drivers can't really split lanes. Motorcycles and bikes have different operating characteristics.

But the other BIG thing is that in the same state, there were different responses to the same signs... the article points out that the ONLY negative messages they got were from So Cal... where the "car is king" (nobody walks in LA).

To me this really shows that different areas have different attitudes and driving habits.
Cali has different laws for motorcycles. They are allowed to 'whiteline', or lane split. It seems to rile cagers stuck in rush hour traffic.
Old 02-19-10, 02:33 PM
GodsBassist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If they weren't on their motorcycles threading through rush hour traffic, they'd be adding to the congestion on the freeways. It's like adding lanes to the freeway. I'm with San Rensho on this one.
Old 02-19-10, 02:56 PM
Da Tinker
Can't ride enough!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agreed.

After all, who's fault is it that those folks are stuck in their boxes?
Old 02-19-10, 03:15 PM
idoru2005

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by annc
My guess is that people don't like being told they're bad drivers.
+1

Almost nobody (no matter what the context) likes to be told they are doing something even remotely wrong or dangerous.
Old 02-19-10, 03:30 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by annc
There's a bit of backlash against motorcycles in Northern California also. My guess is that people don't like being told they're bad drivers.
That was my wife's reaction... followed by "what are they gonna tell us next... to brush our teeth?"

The interesting thing to me is that according to the article I read southern CA was very negative about this where as northern CA tended to take it in stride. Caltrans reported only negative calls from the southern part of the state.

Looking at the article you posted, I had to laugh when I read this:
"He was gone in a nanosecond and I was doing 72 mph"
All I can think of is Gee lady... maybe driving the speed limit would give you a chance to see the other users of the road.

I do have to agree with this comment though...
If we really want to make people aware of motorcycle dangers, the illuminated signs should say, "High-speed lane splitters die young." "... I would like to see messages say: "Motorcyclists — stop driving like idiots!"
I have seen motorcyclists doing wheelies and front wheel stands on the freeways... so indeed there is something in this comment... some motorcyclists (like some cyclists) really do just act like idiots... but I figure Darwin has an eye on them.
Old 02-19-10, 04:24 PM
Pscyclepath
LCI #1853

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2, Fisher Caliber 29er, Orbea Onix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a general class, I don't like motorcyclists, fora lot of the reasons cited above, and for a major part their reluctance to install and operate functional mufflers on their machines. But then, I'm just prejudiced ;-)
Old 02-19-10, 04:30 PM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pscyclepath
As a general class, I don't like motorcyclists, fora lot of the reasons cited above, and for a major part their reluctance to install and operate functional mufflers on their machines. But then, I'm just prejudiced ;-)
You (and some other responders) just did to bikers what others do to us - lump us all in together. My bike has a funtioning STOCK muffler.
Old 02-19-10, 04:35 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

And what cyclists (motor and self powered alike) do to 4 wheel vehicle drivers.
Old 02-20-10, 06:30 AM
Laserman

Bikes: 15 Specialized Crosstrail, 83 Schwinn Traveller, Fuji Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noisebeam
And what cyclists (motor and self powered alike) do to 4 wheel vehicle drivers.
+1

Bike Forums has over 175,000 members. How many of them also drive cars?
My guess is at least 90%. Why paint your allies with the same brush you use on bad, stupid and incompetent drivers?
Old 02-20-10, 07:21 AM
mandovoodoo
Violin guitar mandolin

Bikes: Wilier Thor, Fuji Professional, LeMond Wayzata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I suspect the general density of SoCal traffic, the legality of lane splitting, and some cultural nonsense impacting folks in general in SoCal play into this. The lane splitting really pisses people off. Most don't know it's legal there.

Here we don't have lane splitting. We do have lots of motorcycles, well past a critical road mass. So we get watched out for. I mean local to me. I'm right near a famous motorcycle destination. On nice summer weekends some roads in the area get a 50/50 ratio. Or maybe 49/49 with 2% bicycles. And people watch out for motorcyclists, motorcyclists are by and large very polite to everyone. Things work.

If we put lane splitting into the mix, routine super-speeding, and a little bit less politeness in society in general. Well. There's SoCal.

Now I get out of my local area and I'm clearly much less visible on motorcycle or bicycle.
Old 02-20-10, 10:16 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,799 Times in 2,590 Posts
I certainly wouldn't complain about that sign, because motorcycles seem to be invisible to cars and motorcyclists are constantly being put in danger by motorists. I don't think you have to have too many hours of driving before you see some incredibly dangerous motorcycle riding. I still remember some guy that was illegally lane splitting cutting through traffic in a merge zone at double the speed limit with his girlfriend on the back and no helmets. I was just praying that they didn't go down right there and give me PTSD. I'll guess that California drivers see a little more of that than we do on the east coast.
Old 02-20-10, 04:00 PM
sudo bike
Bicikli Huszár

Bikes: '95 Novara Randonee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never noticed motorcyclists behaving any more crazy here than elsewhere. Now the motorcyclists in Budapest - they scare me!

And, if I read it correctly, all of California didn't take issue with it - only San Diego.
Old 02-20-10, 04:21 PM
TRaffic Jammer
Dances With Cars

Bikes: TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not surprised at all with the motorists' getting in a state, they really do hate having it pointed out that just driving in between two lines simply isn't enough. I know when I drive I'm all over my mirrors every few seconds, with preemptive signals and full look out the window check whenever I change lanes. It does seem to be too much to do all at once for many of the drivers I encounter in my urban riding commute. I'll stare in the passenger window for several seconds sometimes as we share speed and for the most part, their eyes never leave the bumper in front of them. Once comfortable with driving it seems the defensive driving tricks taught to them early on are lost. Just don't tell them that.
Old 02-21-10, 10:30 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by sudo bike
I've never noticed motorcyclists behaving any more crazy here than elsewhere. Now the motorcyclists in Budapest - they scare me!

And, if I read it correctly, all of California didn't take issue with it - only San Diego.
Exactly.
Old 02-21-10, 10:42 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
"different rules?" or different profiles... I mean after all, car drivers can't really split lanes.
Technically, every time a car passes a bicyclist without changing lanes, they are lane splitting.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 02-21-10, 10:48 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Artkansas
Technically, every time a car passes a bicyclist without changing lanes, they are lane splitting.
True, I suppose drivers of motor vehicles should stop doing that, eh?
Old 02-21-10, 11:16 AM
crhilton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by longbeachgary
You (and some other responders) just did to bikers what others do to us - lump us all in together. My bike has a funtioning STOCK muffler.
It's a piece of ****, like all motorcycle mufflers. Only the ridiculous bikes (not Harley, think tricycle) seem to be equipped with working sound dampening technologies.

I used to live in a basement dorm room next to a parking lot. I learned to sleep through loud motorcycles eventually, but I must admit it's taken several years to stop outright hating them.

Now they're okay. Except the ****** bags who thought it was cool to rev it up at night in a dorm parking lot!
Old 02-21-10, 04:11 PM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by crhilton
It's a piece of ****, like all motorcycle mufflers. Only the ridiculous bikes (not Harley, think tricycle) seem to be equipped with working sound dampening technologies.

What do you mean by ridiculous bikes? Mine is not a tricycle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.