Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Building up a Powertap wheelset - which kind of rim, spokes, front hub?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-10, 05:21 AM
joebrew
dude

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I plan on building up a wheelset for training, and am looking for y'all's advice/stories regarding the following:

1) Which Powertap hub is the best bang for your buck? SLC+, SL+, Pro+, or Elite+
2) What kind of front hub should I use?
3) What kind of rims do you recommend and why?
4) What kind of spokes do you recommend and why?

FYI, I weight 155 pounds and don't have a fortune to spend (less than $1700 msrp).

Thanks for any help!
Old 03-05-10, 06:36 AM
bostongarden
meow

Bikes: 2016 Parlee Altum, 2013 Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi Mod Di2 only, 2011 Cannondale Super Six, Dura Ace 7800, 2007 Cannondale System Six Dura Ace 7800, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, MB-2, MB-3, MB-5

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by joebrew
I plan on building up a wheelset for training, and am looking for y'all's advice/stories regarding the following:

1) Which Powertap hub is the best bang for your buck? SLC+, SL+, Pro+, or Elite+

FYI, I weight 155 pounds and don't have a fortune to spend (less than $1700 msrp).

Thanks for any help!
Go ask aunt Psimet
Go ask aunt Psimet
Go ask aunt Psimet
And your wheels will be right
Old 03-05-10, 08:33 AM
ljrichar
bf is my facebook.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bostongarden
Go ask aunt Psimet
Yeah, even if you're not buying from him, he'd probably recommend some stuff. Send him a PM. I have the Pro+ & think it's definitely the best bang for the buck. Above that, it's mostly weight savings and as you have stated, this is a training wheel.
Old 03-05-10, 10:10 AM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
1) Pro+
2) White Industries H2... or anything else: they're all about the same
3) Kinlin XR-300 if you want aero, Velocity Aerohead OC if you want light.
4) DT Swiss Competition or Wheelsmith DB2 Double-Butted. Why? Because you probably can't afford Sapim CX-Ray or DT Swiss Aerolite. 2.0/1.8mm double-butted spokes provide decent strength, don't weigh too much, and are cost-effective
Old 03-05-10, 10:12 AM
tspek
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ask PSIMET
www.psimet.com
Old 03-05-10, 10:16 AM
cedricbosch
W.W.DZ.D?

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For $1700 you can get a used SRM and use any wheel you want.
Old 03-05-10, 10:17 AM
tspek
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
For $1700 you can get a used SRM and use any wheel you want.
Which is why a lot of people prefer a powertap...
Old 03-05-10, 10:39 AM
joebrew
dude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the replies so far. I work at a bike shop, and I'd like the experience of building my own (so, despite all the great things I've heard about Psimet, I'll be building up my own). That said, I am interested in anyone's two cents.

Any particularly rims/hubs/spokes to AVOID?
Thanks!
Old 03-05-10, 05:06 PM
joebrew
dude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also - any advice on skewer choice would be equally appreciated.
Old 03-05-10, 05:24 PM
sd790

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tspek
Ask PSIMET
www.psimet.com
I have asked PSIMET several times...with no response other than the automated acknowledgement that my message was recieved. And yes, I checked my spam folder.
Old 03-05-10, 10:27 PM
ericm979

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Get an ANT+ powertap. That way you have a wider choice of head units. The little yellow computer is ok but you can get ones with more memory, GPS, temperature, FTP display, etc etc. I think you can buy the hub without the computer now.

I have given up on Open Pro rims. They are not very stiff laterally, making a weaker wheel. They crack, and some of them have something loose inside that rattles.

Before you buy a power meter, buy the "Racing and Training with a Power Meter" book by Coggan and Allen. There's a 2nd edition just out. It shows you want you can do with the power meter.

You also need analysis software. WKO+ is the standard but the open source Golden Cheetah is pretty good too, and it runs on Mac and Linux in addition to windows.
Old 03-06-10, 05:22 AM
joebrew
dude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ericm979
Get an ANT+ powertap. That way you have a wider choice of head units. The little yellow computer is ok but you can get ones with more memory, GPS, temperature, FTP display, etc etc. I think you can buy the hub without the computer now.
You're right - you do buy the hub and the "electro-pack" (computer head, heart rate monitor, usb download, etc.) separately.

I want to be able to download and analyze workouts afterwards. Are there alternatives to the cycleops yellow computer that still store data (averages, max, time at certain zones, etc.) and allow for post-workout analysis?
Old 03-06-10, 05:34 AM
Urthwhyte

Bikes: Giant Defy 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're right - you do buy the hub and the "electro-pack" (computer head, heart rate monitor, usb download, etc.) separately.

I want to be able to download and analyze workouts afterwards. Are there alternatives to the cycleops yellow computer that still store data (averages, max, time at certain zones, etc.) and allow for post-workout analysis?
Garmin's Edge 500, 705 and Forerunner 310XT are the most popular devices. The 310 is actually a watch and targeted more towards triathletes than cyclists, but shares all of the same functions. Going with the 705 gets you mapping and navigation, and the 500 is just a cut down version of the 705.
Old 03-06-10, 08:07 AM
ljrichar
bf is my facebook.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sd790
I have asked PSIMET several times...with no response other than the automated acknowledgement that my message was recieved. And yes, I checked my spam folder.
Hence me telling the OP to send a PM.

Originally Posted by ericm979
I have given up on Open Pro rims. They are not very stiff laterally, making a weaker wheel. They crack, and some of them have something loose inside that rattles.
Huh? I have hit everything w/ mine & they are still true. I think most would have similar stories.

Are there alternatives to the cycleops yellow computer that still store data (averages, max, time at certain zones, etc.) and allow for post-workout analysis?
Unless you need navigation / elevation, the head unit is fine.
Old 03-06-10, 08:08 AM
nitropowered

Bikes: Custom Custom Custom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Go all out. Get Edge 45 Carbon clinchers. You work at a shop, you can get a good deal on them.

But on a more serious note, Kinlin XR-270s or XR-300s.

Spokes either Wheelsmith dB14s or DT competitions. If you want to get fancy, use Competitions on the DS, and Revolutions on the NDS. Or if you want to get even fancier, get a 24h rear, use CX-Rays or Aerolites, 2x NDS, and 1X heads in DS

Front hubs are front hubs. My personal favorite is the Alchemy ELF. Next is DT240 or White Industries H2/H3. But again, you can save some bucks and get a 105 or Ultegra hub if you are just building a 32h front
Old 03-06-10, 08:45 AM
asmallsol
Cat3.*....Cat2

Bikes: A lot.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Powertaps are great for around a grand. if your willing to drop 1500+ buy a crank based system (ie quarq) https://www.quarq.com/store#sram_130_/_110_bcd or wait for the vector pedal system
Old 03-06-10, 09:55 AM
nitropowered

Bikes: Custom Custom Custom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would personally not wait for the Metrigear Vector. I mean no offense to them, but their release time keeps slipping (as expected for any sort of major project), and however you still look at it, it is still a V1 product. Essentially a public beta test. I know they have their super-human testing machine to totally abuse the pedal, but once in the hands (or rather feet/legs) of thousands, many things can change and problems will crop up.

It would be at least a year after initial release before I could recommend the Vector. That is unless you don't mind spending the money and possibly having a years worth of worthless data.

I'm not saying their product is crap, in fact, if they can successfully pull it off, it will be amazing. Just be careful of new V1 products, this applies to anything.

Get a powertap now, or save the pennies and get a Quarq CinQo.
Old 03-06-10, 10:34 AM
nocondorfx
Mr.Schwinn F'in Armstrong

Bikes: tarmac pro, SJ HT 29er expert, Trek Xo2, atomlab trailpimp, cannondale f5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just picked up a PT SL+
I did:
rims-DT Swiss 465
spokes- DT competition
front hub-ultegra

cheap. reliable.
Old 03-06-10, 12:10 PM
CrimsonKarter21
Mitcholo

Bikes: 2010 Mitcholo w/ Sram Force/Red

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a PowerTap Pro in the rear, PowerTap dummy hub up front.
Laced 32 hole, 3x to Velocity Aerohead rims, regular up fornt, Off-Center on the rear
Used 64 DT Swiss Competition spokes.

They've worked very well for me so far. I've got about 1000 miles on them in this setup, and maybe 20-30 miles of cobbles thrown intermittently in there, as well as some just plain bad roads.
I did however run 80 or 90 psi in the rear tire a few days ago and dented the brake track by hitting a big rise in the pavement.

Last edited by CrimsonKarter21; 03-06-10 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-06-10, 05:16 PM
RoboCheme

Bikes: 2008 Cervelo RS, 2011 Scott CR1 Elite, 2014 Volagi Liscio

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sstorkel
1) Pro+
2) White Industries H2... or anything else: they're all about the same
3) Kinlin XR-300 if you want aero, Velocity Aerohead OC if you want light.
4) DT Swiss Competition or Wheelsmith DB2 Double-Butted. Why? Because you probably can't afford Sapim CX-Ray or DT Swiss Aerolite. 2.0/1.8mm double-butted spokes provide decent strength, don't weigh too much, and are cost-effective
This is what Psimet recommended for me except that I got the CX Rays. I'm very happy with it. The Pro+ is the sweet spot for value.
Old 03-06-10, 06:38 PM
kleinboogie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1) Pro+ with the Elite axle then the SL+ (which is what I have).
2) I used the DT Swiss 240s which I'm very happy with. I don't know enough about front hubs to recommend a particular one.
3) I went with DT Swiss RR1.2 which is replaced by the 585. I'm 200 lbs and they work great. Not sure how that much stiffness would work at your weight. I'm coming off the Mavic Equipe that came with the bike which is more flexy which I didn't like. I need a more responsive wheel and these fit the bill.
4) I went the DT Aerolite Race just because I liked the flat spokes my Mavic stock wheels came with and didn't have alignment problems after 1K miles so I figured they'd be good. They are.

GL
Old 03-06-10, 06:56 PM
ericm979

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You use software for analysis.... WKO or GoldenCheetah or RaceDay. It's far better than depending on the computer to do it.

You really need to read the book I referenced above. Do that before you buy a PM.

Get a computer that can be downloaded by the software of your choice. Garmin didn't release the specs for the 500's .FIT format and still won't send a copy to just anyone who asks. So it's not yet supported in GoldenCheetah, although it should be soon.
Old 03-07-10, 08:18 AM
rjtokyo
Just ride :-D

Bikes: Anchor RFX-8, Pedal Force QS-2, Bertoni Nuovitalia, Performance X-203

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for any help!
Hey joebrew,

I've had two sets of these for the past 2 seasons and have liked them a lot:

1) SL 2.4
2) American Classic Micro
3) Velocity Aerohead front (24h), Aerohead OC rear (28h)
4) Sapim C-Xray

Front lace: radial
Rear lace: 2X both sides

Good cost-performance. Nothing flashy, but it's all about the engine, anyway.

Cheers! - rj
Old 03-08-10, 07:31 AM
joebrew
dude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the very helpful replies. I just bought the Coggan and Allen book (thanks ericm979), and am planning on making some purchases soon.

As of now, this is what I'm leaning towards.
Front hub: DTSwiss 240s or 340s
PT hub: Pro +
Rims: Velocity Aerohead or DTSwiss RR1.2
Spokes: DTSwiss Competition

I still haven't heard any input on skewers (yes, I realize it's not that big of a deal, but if anyone has an amazingly good experience with a certain kind, or an amazingly bad experience, it'd be worth knowing).

One more question: Would a 32h rear wheel be overkill for someone who weights 155? I want these wheels to be super durable, but I also plan on doing workouts and the occasional race on them...

Thanks!
Old 03-08-10, 07:46 AM
Urthwhyte

Bikes: Giant Defy 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm no expert and will once again suggest you talk with Psimet, but 32 and 36 are more for tourers and Clydes than people around your weight, you could likely get away with 28 or lower.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.