Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

What makes a GREAT tour jounal for you?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-10, 01:08 PM
EriktheFish
Silly Party Member

Bikes: Rans Stratus XP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Members have been making excellent suggestions in my topic on CGOAB vs Blogging. Some started making suggestions for what makes a great journal in general. Thought I'd post it as a separate topic. I'll start with 2 suggestions from that thread.

So, what to you makes for a great tour journal?

Originally Posted by vik
A lot of people create bike tour journals that aren't really worth reading or are hard to read. I'd suggest you find 3 or 4 journals you really enjoy and pay attention to what makes them so interesting. You'll be ready to record the sorts of details you'll need for a high quality journal entry at the end of your day on the bike as well as what sorts of pictures to take.
Originally Posted by Cyclebum
+1. Impressions of ppl you ride with and meet along the way. Accounts of how you interact with your riding partners and strangers. Characterizations. Quotes of interesting conversations you have. Personal angst, trials and tribulations. The highs and lows of the ride.
Thanks, Erik
Old 03-05-10, 01:19 PM
nameless

Bikes: Custom Gunnar Roadie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You say "GREAT"? I say:

https://whileoutriding.wordpress.com/
Old 03-05-10, 01:24 PM
NeilGunton
Crazyguyonabike

Bikes: Co-Motion Divide

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
There was actually a thread on this very topic recently over on That Other Website:

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/forum...read_id=156330

Neil
Old 03-05-10, 01:55 PM
Dan The Man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Impressions, adventures, anecdotes, and original thoughts rather than a litany of "and then this happened". Nobody cares how many miles you rode on day 11 or how what time you left camp.
Old 03-05-10, 02:38 PM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 53 Posts
I probably have a different view of "great" than some.

The main reason I read journals is for information about the area, the route, and other details that will help me should I tour through that same area. While anecdotes are nice, I prefer area details more than personal stories.

While too much detail can get overwhelming, too little makes for a less valuable journal, to me.

As always, the key is in the mix.
Old 03-05-10, 03:35 PM
Cyclebum

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by raybo
As always, the key is in the mix.
+1. As long as the mix doesn't include a full page devoted to "my training rides."
Old 03-05-10, 05:33 PM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Decent photos and a lack of spelling errors.
Old 03-05-10, 05:51 PM
eric von zipper

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Thorn Sherpa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like good photos and a good narrative, but that doesn't mean purple prose. I prefer funny, but writing good-funny is hard, and prefer not to read a novel per entry. Clear and concise writing goes a long way with a bit of tension. The fact of the matter when I'm thinking to myself, people who used gooder grammar goes a much longer way with I.
Old 03-05-10, 06:15 PM
jscotkey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Self-deprecating humor, exotic locales, fabulous photographs. In other words, this journal. It's the ne plus ultra for me. One neat aspect is to see (both visually and philosophically) the change in the long-time tourer. The aforementioned journal is evidence of that, and I really like to check out those 500+ day experiences for this reason.
Old 03-05-10, 06:46 PM
John Nelson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan The Man
Nobody cares how many miles you rode on day 11 or how what time you left camp.
My mother does, and frankly I'm writing more for her than for strangers. It's not really my intent to get my journal published by Readers Digest.
Old 03-06-10, 09:07 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1257 Post(s)
Liked 768 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by John Nelson
My mother does, and frankly I'm writing more for her than for strangers. It's not really my intent to get my journal published by Readers Digest.
I think that a lot of folks care about that stuff. I know that I do. I know that my friends and family do as well. The mileage for the day is one of the first things I look at when reading each day. Whether the person got up and started riding 2 hours before sunrise or rolled out at noon are also significant and of interest to me. Look at the top 10 or 20 journals by hit count on cgoab and you will find that they generally include that information most days. I am not saying that is why they are at the top of the list, but that it must not hurt.
Old 03-06-10, 01:44 PM
mr geeker
Day trip lover

Bikes: '16 Giant Escape 3 (fair weather ride), Giant Quasar (work in progress), 2002 saturn vue (crap weather ride)

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what makes a good journal? i think that answer will differ person to person. i like pictures, a bit of information on towns passed through, and maybe milage. deffinately information on the towns & pics. personal thaughts and interactions are nice too.
Old 03-06-10, 01:52 PM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I read journals for a couple of reasons. Number one is doing research for possible tours. I especially appreciate them when I've settled on a route for my next tour. Then I try and scan every journal which describes passing through my route. Number two is just for enjoyment.

I like pictures. I usually don't bother reading a journal with no pictures. Sometimes I skip the text altogether and just look at the pictures.

When I'm researching a route I really like descriptions of campgrounds, restaurants, grocery stores - all the services one needs. I like descriptions of the roads - shoulder, no shoulder, rumble strips. I like pictures of campgrounds. I don't care so much about descriptions and pictures of bed and breakfasts or nice hotels. The odds that I'll be able to afford such luxuries on a long tour are pretty slim.

I like stories about good bike shops.

I, for one, do like a record of daily mileage. When I read the account of a day's ride and know how far somebody rode, I get a feel for how strong of a rider they are compared to me, and some insight on whether I can do the same leg, something longer, or something shorter. I like to know the date. One of the factors in planning a tour is weather during the time frame you have available.

I like good writing too. I like interesting stories about fun people doing fun things. I like heartwarming stories with kids, dogs, true feelings, etc. A tour can be an intense slice of life, and most of us like to read about multifaceted people doing something interesting.

Lastly, I create my journal primarily for family and friends. If strangers like what I post, great, but that isn't really much of a concern.

Last edited by BigBlueToe; 03-07-10 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-07-10, 01:40 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 598 Times in 330 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBlueToe
I read journals for a couple of reasons. Number one is doing research for possible tours. I especially appreciate them when I've settled on a route for my next tour. Then I try and scan every journal which describes passing through my route. Number two is just for enjoyment.

I like pictures. I usually don't bother reading a journal with no pictures. Sometimes I skip the text altogether and just look at the pictures.

When I'm researching route I really like descriptions of campgrounds, restaurants, grocery stores - all the services one needs. I like descriptions of the roads - shoulder, no shoulder, rumble strips. I like pictures of campgrounds. I don't care so much about descriptions and pictures of bed and breakfasts or nice hotels. The odds that I'll be able to afford such luxuries on a long tour are pretty slim.

I like stories about good bike shops.

I, for one, do like a record of daily mileage. When I read the account of a day's ride and know how far somebody rode, I get a feel for how strong of a rider they are compared to me, and some insight on whether I can do the same leg, something longer, or something shorter. I like to know the date. One of the factors in planning a tour is weather during the time frame you have available.

I like good writing too. I like interesting stories about fun people doing fun things. I like heartwarming stories with kids, dogs, true feelings, etc. A tour can be an intense slice of life, and most of us like to read about multifaceted people doing something interesting.

Lastly, I create my journal primarily for family and friends. If strangers like what I post, great, but that's really much of a concern.
+1000

You've nailed it.