Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Dog and owner confrontation: escalate or evade?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Dog and owner confrontation: escalate or evade?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-10, 02:09 PM
Metzinger
Primate

Bikes: Concorde Columbus SL, Rocky Mountain Edge, Sparta stadfiets

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Aham, your continued use of the signoff, 'later', may hurt your chances of ever making it to Top Gun.
Old 03-22-10, 02:22 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by aham23
work on your sprint. every time you pass this location. later.
As long as we're using this episode as an excuse to devolve to the 80's, you might as well wear a cowboy hat on your next ride, blast the ZZ Top, and good naturedly call the owner an SOB. (You'd better pump, you SOB.)
Old 03-22-10, 06:44 PM
Eclectus

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpy, Schwinn 974

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
Of course. But you want to make the case to the dog that you are just passing through, are his equal, and not worth any trouble. They chase things that run. If you run, you go from being his equal (after all, you are bigger than him; the dog first assumes you are threatening), to being prey. I'll admit, my first instinct is to sprint, but I check that instinct and shout/bark at the dog and maintain my path out of his territory.
2+
Old 03-23-10, 11:10 AM
dmann
dmann

Bikes: Trek 7200 modified, 08 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Follow up of sorts: I contacted the town police and inquired about a leash law and my options. No leash law in hicksville and my options according to this civil servant are; don't ride on that road, in fact don't ride in that town because "we" constitute a problem for most drivers. I then asked about their response to the use of a dog repellant in a confrontation, he said that was a bad idea and I could be charged with cruelty to animals. I actually laughed at him and suggested he study the law. I gave him my name and address and said I looked forward to seeing him on my next ride. ( I guess I'm a punk) I purchased the Halt at my LBS, you do not need a FID card (more liberal insanity) for this product. I can avoid the problem house by using another route that has a more difficult climb, as for the town cops, I think I'll make the police station a water/rest stop
Old 03-23-10, 11:12 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked 1,251 Times in 627 Posts
Originally Posted by dmann
Follow up of sorts: I contacted the town police and inquired about a leash law and my options. No leash law in hicksville and my options according to this civil servant are; don't ride on that road, in fact don't ride in that town because "we" constitute a problem for most drivers. I then asked about their response to the use of a dog repellant in a confrontation, he said that was a bad idea and I could be charged with cruelty to animals. I actually laughed at him and suggested he study the law. I gave him my name and address and said I looked forward to seeing him on my next ride. ( I guess I'm a punk) I purchased the Halt at my LBS, you do not need a FID card (more liberal insanity) for this product. I can avoid the problem house by using another route that has a more difficult climb, as for the town cops, I think I'll make the police station a water/rest stop
+1 on the rest stop.

Old 03-23-10, 11:17 AM
JTGraphics

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best real world answer call animal control and let them know they will check into it and have it on record if it continues they will take action for you.
Old 03-23-10, 11:38 AM
RomeRider
Outside

Bikes: Trek 1000

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like the police really like bicyclists there. That must be nice. Maybe you need to make friends with them so they can find a biker they respect.

As for the homeowner, he has a bigger vehicle than you and you don't know what kind of temper you might be dealing with. That's not worth the trouble. If there is a nice way to discuss the fact that the road is public property and you, and anyone else biking, walking, horseback riding or whatever has as much right to it as a vehicle driver does unless it is posted differently. Does he want his dog to chase down and bite a child on a bicycle? He's not thinking through these kinds of issues and it would be useful for him and the police to do it.

Should tractors and other types of slow moving vehicles not be allowed in that town? They do cause traffic problems sometimes.

How about everybody being a little more decent and caring toward people? We have REAL enemies out there.
Old 03-23-10, 11:51 AM
dmann
dmann

Bikes: Trek 7200 modified, 08 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RomeRider
Sounds like the police really like bicyclists there. That must be nice. Maybe you need to make friends with them so they can find a biker they respect.

As for the homeowner, he has a bigger vehicle than you and you don't know what kind of temper you might be dealing with. That's not worth the trouble. If there is a nice way to discuss the fact that the road is public property and you, and anyone else biking, walking, horseback riding or whatever has as much right to it as a vehicle driver does unless it is posted differently. Does he want his dog to chase down and bite a child on a bicycle? He's not thinking through these kinds of issues and it would be useful for him and the police to do it.

Should tractors and other types of slow moving vehicles not be allowed in that town? They do cause traffic problems sometimes.

How about everybody being a little more decent and caring toward people? We have REAL enemies out there.
Amen........I will overcome the frustration and ride around the problem. The police know where the confrontation occurred so its in their court now. This a fairly rural area with plenty of small farms/ranches with all the associated vehicles, me thinks the officer I dealt with was just being an arrogant tool..... just like me....sometimes!
Old 03-23-10, 12:46 PM
chains1240
West Michigan

Bikes: Jamis, Schwinn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you did ok. In Michigan we have a leash law. As soon as the dog leaves the property the owner is breaking the law. I have pepper sprayed 2 dogs, same incident, and the owner was screaming at me like I did something wrong. I try the pepper spray first, if the dogs managed to latch on to me they get the 9mm.
Old 03-23-10, 01:11 PM
Tunnelrat81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...because nothing communicates the reasoning behind a justifiable response toward a chasing dog to an unknowing dog owner better than "FU pal, you're next." Well done bozo. I wonder what kind of understanding that owner will have for the next cyclist who rides by?

It's easier to get angry and mouth off, and feels somewhat exhilarating too. I know my Mom always taught me to "always do what's easiest and feels good son."

-Jeremy
Old 03-23-10, 01:18 PM
krazygl00
Your Recovery Ride Buddy

Bikes: 2000 Serotta Classique, 1999 Serotta C3S Atlanta, 2004 Kona Jake the Snake, 2009 Kona Paddywagon, 2006 Kona Kula, 1980's Fuji Pursuit TT Fix/SS conversion, 1980's Torpado Super Strada, Bridgestone RB1 Synergy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think OP was right to spray the dog, but before talking about lawyers and/or guns, maybe just consider the situation from both sides.

To you, the dog was a snarling missle, an unknown, could be vicious, could be friendly, but who wants to take a chance, right? Pepper spray is non-lethal, so you were right to use it.

To the owner, his dog may be a friendly family pet who likes to bark at and chase moving things (this is 99% of dogs) while wagging his tail -- all in fun. All he knows is that his dog was barking at something, and now his dog is howling in pain and there is some guy on a bike saying "You're next pal". Only once you rode off and the pepper spray wore off did the owner piece together what happened. Don't go ascribing qualities that may or may not be true -- the owner is a lawless jerk, probably has a record, obviously no respect for the law -- because his dog was off the leash and chased something.

Write the guy a letter. Drop it in his mailbox (you may want to drive there :-) ). Tell him you regret what happened but you were frightened, did not know the dog and had to act, and that you ride in the area regularly and won't change your route. Tell him you like dogs and don't want to hurt them unnecessarily, but if the situation arises again you'll react the same.
Old 03-23-10, 01:20 PM
Tunnelrat81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by krazygl00
I think OP was right to spray the dog, but before talking about lawyers and/or guns, maybe just consider the situation from both sides.

To you, the dog was a snarling missle, an unknown, could be vicious, could be friendly, but who wants to take a chance, right? Pepper spray is non-lethal, so you were right to use it.

To the owner, his dog may be a friendly family pet who likes to bark at and chase moving things (this is 99% of dogs) while wagging his tail -- all in fun. All he knows is that his dog was barking at something, and now his dog is howling in pain and there is some guy on a bike saying "You're next pal". Only once you rode off and the pepper spray wore off did the owner piece together what happened. Don't go ascribing qualities that may or may not be true -- the owner is a lawless jerk, probably has a record, obviously no respect for the law -- because his dog was off the leash and chased something.

Write the guy a letter. Drop it in his mailbox (you may want to drive there :-) ). Tell him you regret what happened but you were frightened, did not know the dog and had to act, and that you ride in the area regularly and won't change your route. Tell him you like dogs and don't want to hurt them unnecessarily, but if the situation arises again you'll react the same.
+1 ...my point exactly. =)
Old 03-23-10, 01:23 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked 1,251 Times in 627 Posts
How do you know the dog owner can read and comprehend a letter.

Old 03-23-10, 02:00 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked 1,307 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by aham23
work on your sprint. every time you pass this location. later.
Says the man who will discover the large dog who takes snips as the slow asses on the largest hill of the ride he is doing tonight for the first time. The dog hits you at the steepest grade - when you are your slowest.

...let me see your ass sprint up that one...

....just sayin.

later.

Old 03-23-10, 02:09 PM
RomeRider
Outside

Bikes: Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do have a mean wish for the dogs that come after me: This is a great time for a car to pass me and take them out...provided I don't get hit in the process. God help me not to be vindictive.
Old 03-23-10, 03:01 PM
Bearonabike

Bikes: Jamis Aurora, Fuji S10S (X2), Jamis Coda

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Reload your Halt...
And pack one of these:

Old 03-23-10, 04:03 PM
gadgetadam 

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Go back at night and take a dump on the hood of the car he was cleaning.
Old 03-23-10, 04:04 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Originally Posted by RomeRider
I do have a mean wish for the dogs that come after me: This is a great time for a car to pass me and take them out...provided I don't get hit in the process. God help me not to be vindictive.
That is indeed pretty mean, but look on the bright side: at least you're not one of these sick people advocating the [entirely unnecessary] use of firearms on dogs for the crime of being selected by negligent owners.

Every dog understands eye contact and a firm "No!". I've even turned back a pack of eight coyotes who were coming after my dog. (And then later realized they could probably have dragged me down if I hadn't.)
Old 03-23-10, 04:37 PM
Romans8:28

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris

Every dog understands eye contact and a firm "No!".
LOL.............

Every dog may "understand", but every dog damn sure does not care.

I
Old 03-23-10, 04:43 PM
lambo_vt
member. heh.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Every dog understands eye contact and a firm "No!".
Sure buddy.
Old 03-23-10, 04:48 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Originally Posted by Romans8:28
LOL.............Every dog may "understand", but every dog damn sure does not care. I
Even if you're the most impotent little wet-noodle who's ever turned a pedal, all dogs recognize we tree-dwelling primates as their superiors. At the very least, it will still make the dog hesitate for a second while you proceed.
Old 03-23-10, 04:54 PM
Romans8:28

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Even if you're the most impotent little wet-noodle who's ever turned a pedal, all dogs recognize we tree-dwelling primates as their superiors. At the very least, it will still make the dog hesitate for a second while you proceed.
Sorry buddy but I can't agree with you... some dogs maybe even "most" dogs "respect" an adult humans "stature"... but by no means do "all dogs" or "every dog".
Old 03-23-10, 04:59 PM
achoo

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Until the time it doesn't.

Which means you're dealing with a dog that knows what it's doing, and it knows it means business.
Old 03-23-10, 05:00 PM
lambo_vt
member. heh.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wait, you were serious? What you've posted might be true about some dogs, but you're not even close to correct about "all dogs."
Old 03-23-10, 05:04 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

It's never failed for me, not even when there were 8 coyotes closing on my dog. But it sounds like you guys have more faith in your guns or chemical spray than in your masculinity.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.