Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

BEHOLD! The wal-mart fixie....

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

BEHOLD! The wal-mart fixie....

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-10, 07:10 PM
Garandman
Fred

Bikes: 1983 Schwinn Super Sp0rt, Trek hybrid, eBike, Xootr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Noir Lethal
Saw this about a week ago, I hate when they come out with mass market versions of a niche product, they always look so lame. Mongoose.. spent $300 on one of their mountain bike's once, which is expensive for Walmart, lasted a week. I was a fool.
I 'm psyched. I hope fat old guys and ugly girls buy them and hang out all over Boston!
Old 03-27-10, 08:46 PM
aznsap

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oldfolksmashers
Just ordered mine, I'll let you all know how it goes. I figure worst case scenario I give it my POOR AS F*CK neighbor who would love to have a bike, or I'll make an awesome video of the poor Mongoose dying.

And for reference, it's online-only, it's a single speed, and shipping weight doesn't have a thing to do with real weight.

EDIT: Also, shipping and handling only cost me five bucks..
yes, before people start ripping on this bike without actually having much hard evidence, i'd like to see what you say about it. it could be a good deal for $150 and someone looking to get into biking.

i remember as a kid riding a crappy bike and i was so happy just to be cruising down the street. definitely interested in your review, please post pics and im sure other people on here are dying to know the actual weight as well.

i'll stay tuned for your review, excited to see what this thing is made of.
Old 03-27-10, 08:56 PM
preston811

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally I'm kinda like this about this bike:

It's too bad people are lamenting this because they think it somehow makes them or their bike less cool.

I'm wondering if it has a flipflop hub.

I can see the average walmart joe having a fun time with chain tensioning. Not that it's difficult but I doubt most of them will be going online to find the finesse of it.

Hell my seatpack+contents was more than $150

Anyone who gets one please post a detailed review w/ close pics
Old 03-27-10, 09:24 PM
gitarzan
Lost Again

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1991 Sirrus, Specialized Secteur Elite, Miele Umbria Elite.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BassNotBass
I agree... some dept store bikes are nothing short of being utter POS.

In the case of this Mongoose Cachet, I can't wait for the chance to inspect one. IMHO although it appears to not share any components with the Mongoose Maurice, I suspect it'll still be a perfectly servicable and reliable year round city bike for me. All for a price below what I was going to pay for an aluminum frame alone.

Taken from the UK Mongoose site:
https://www.mongoose.com/gbr/eng/mtn/...-Maurice-CroMo
https://www.mongoose.com/gbr/eng/mtn/...Maurice-(CroMo)
https://www.mongoose.com/gbr/eng/mtn/...Maurice-Hi-Ten
"Overview: There's a reason fixed gear bikes have been popping up all over the place; they rule! And it's about time you ditched that rattletrap mess for a bike that finally fits your lifestyle. Chose from the Hi-Ten with it's bare bones, old school coaster brake, insta-skid style or the CroMo with its double butted 4130 CroMo frame, color matched parts spec and flip-flop rear hub. Either way you go, you'll let the people know how you roll."
Old 03-27-10, 10:10 PM
ianjk
:)

Bikes: '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by preston811
I can see the average walmart joe having a fun time with chain tensioning. Not that it's difficult but I doubt most of them will be going online to find the finesse of it.
I'd be more worried about cog/lockring. Look at how many people hop on BD bikes without even tightening the cog/lockring and end up toasting hubs.
Old 03-27-10, 10:18 PM
iiAtlas
Fixie Rider

Bikes: Canondale Capo fixed (https://velospace.org/node/27795)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow...just...wow
Old 03-27-10, 10:23 PM
preston811

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ianjk
I'd be more worried about cog/lockring. Look at how many people hop on BD bikes without even tightening the cog/lockring and end up toasting hubs.
Well it's a freewheel I assume, so that won't be a problem but I agree that is a problem in general especially amongst the BD guys

Last edited by preston811; 03-27-10 at 10:47 PM.
Old 03-28-10, 01:41 AM
oldfolksmashers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aznsap
yes, before people start ripping on this bike without actually having much hard evidence, i'd like to see what you say about it. it could be a good deal for $150 and someone looking to get into biking.

i remember as a kid riding a crappy bike and i was so happy just to be cruising down the street. definitely interested in your review, please post pics and im sure other people on here are dying to know the actual weight as well.

i'll stay tuned for your review, excited to see what this thing is made of.
The way I see it, I spent 220 bucks on the handlebars on my roadie, why not drop a C-and-a-half on a full bike? 155 bucks out the door for a full bike? Damn, even if my neighbor doesn't want the thing I can slap a basket and some fenders on it and keep my nice bikes nice.
Old 03-28-10, 08:23 AM
Build your own
%#&*#%>?%

Bikes: Pake,Shogun,Nishiki,Motobecane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Even if the bike turns out to be super crappy,it'll be a better deal and probably better ride for a beginner than some steel rim,electroforged schwinn tank conversion from CL.
Old 03-28-10, 09:04 AM
bleedingapple

Bikes: Leader 722TS, Surly Cross Check, GT Outpost, Haro Z16, Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A - Fn' - MEN!!!!

Originally Posted by Build your own
Even if the bike turns out to be super crappy,it'll be a better deal and probably better ride for a beginner than some steel rim,electroforged schwinn tank conversion from CL.
Old 03-28-10, 09:04 AM
bleedingapple

Bikes: Leader 722TS, Surly Cross Check, GT Outpost, Haro Z16, Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A - Fn' - MEN!!!!

Originally Posted by Build your own
Old 03-28-10, 09:14 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Liked 645 Times in 366 Posts
Wow! Four pages on this.

I don't understand what the big deal is. If you think that you'd like to own one - buy it. If you don't - don't buy one. What do you care about what somebody else buys or doesn't buy?
Old 03-28-10, 09:56 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts

Old 03-28-10, 04:47 PM
turtle jesus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i need a review on one of these! they look like they would make good parts depending on the quality for the cost
Old 03-28-10, 05:03 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Liked 135 Times in 99 Posts
Stopped by Stuffmart today to see f they had any in but it looks like they have not received their spring stock yet... did see a Raleigh Record with an Al frame with rather decent welds, Quando hubs, and a Shimano drive train selling for 299.00 and it even had a "Made in Canada" sticker.

Brakes were no name and the rims were pretty cheap and seems like a better specked bike than the Denali... shifters were still on the bars but were clamp on levers and not the grip shift with the split bar.
Old 03-30-10, 08:35 AM
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd love to test ride one of these! Very curious, somebody review this, please?
Old 03-30-10, 03:35 PM
turtle jesus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
where are the reviews? the hype/hate is out the roof yet no one seems to have one?
Old 03-30-10, 03:59 PM
preston811

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by turtle jesus
where are the reviews? the hype/hate is out the roof yet no one seems to have one?
they're internet-only apparently, and this was just posted 5 days ago, give it time! maybe you'd like to volunteer?
Old 03-30-10, 04:25 PM
newo2u

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At least one reviewer likes it

Good deal on a fine single speed bike, for $149 & $2.97 S&H to your home. If your an experience biker you will love this simply bike design, weights in at 22 lbs. and has 700 rims with good tires that can take 100 lbs of pressure, good brakes and pedals with the aluminum frame, she should last a long time. For the price she can't be beat, everyone else is selling a single speed bike for twice the price with an old metal type frame and when you try to convert an old road bike to single speed all you do is waste your time and money, I know because I tried last summer! Thanks Walmart for making one of these bikes available at a good price, would buy again in a minute. Not hard to put together out of the box with a little biking experience, after all it's a single speed like your first bike, right?
And according to his profile he rides every few days.
Old 03-30-10, 04:47 PM
Mos6502
Elitest Murray Owner

Bikes: 1972 Columbia Tourist Expert III, Columbia Roadster

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by newo2u
And according to his profile he rides every few days.
link pls
Old 03-30-10, 05:16 PM
dobber
Perineal Pressurized

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by itsjustMATT
@ilikebikes:

Standard consumers who know nothing about bikes don't replace things. They go, oh hay, I has a bike. Ride ride ride break death. Someone on the product review site in the original post stated that to change the chainring, you have to drill through rivets. Rivets. Come on. What did they do? Weld the wheels into the dropouts, too? It seems to me, Wal**** knows that the standard consumers aren't going to replace things on the bike, due to the fact that they just don't know how or what to replace. And plus, Wal**** doesn't sell chainrings, do they? "MAKE IT IMPOSSIBLE TO SWITCH OUT CHAINRINGS ON OUR BIKES" says Wal**** CEO.
Let me guess, you just started riding bikes a couple months ago.
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
Old 03-30-10, 06:15 PM
J Pedals
Pizza

Bikes: Paramount Series 3 PDG-'91; Specialized Stumpjumper-'06; Trek 400-'92; Peugeot hybrid fixed gear conversion-late 80's?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wonder what the gearing is, especially considering the fact that the chainring could be riveted on, as stated earlier.

If it indeed is fixed rather than SS, I wonder if it is the standard cog/lockring setup, or some cheapo rigging.
Old 03-30-10, 08:29 PM
ph4nt0mf1ng3rs

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Allez, Iro Mark V

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by happypills
Woohoo a new bike to look down on; hopefully the mongoose will take some heat of bikesdirect bike owners lol

Am I the only thinking of doing some stress tests on one of these cheapo bikes?
There is one big difference between BD and WALMART. i mean this is WALMART we are talking about omg.

First of all, at Walmart, you pay $150, and $150 is the retail! muahahaha!
At BD, you pay $297, but the retail is much higher than what you pay. The value of an Hour/Kilo TT far surpasses the value of a $150 dollar bike hence the higher cost.....I think.

HUGE differnece.
Old 03-30-10, 11:00 PM
Rusty904

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it's only a matter of time until super hipsters are riding these "ironically" then they will be cool!!!
Old 03-30-10, 11:09 PM
carleton
Elitist

Liked 93 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by ph4nt0mf1ng3rs
There is one big difference between BD and WALMART. i mean this is WALMART we are talking about omg.

First of all, at Walmart, you pay $150, and $150 is the retail! muahahaha!
At BD, you pay $297, but the retail is much higher than what you pay. The value of an Hour/Kilo TT far surpasses the value of a $150 dollar bike hence the higher cost.....I think.

HUGE differnece.
You forget the economies of scale that Walmart has. BD makes maybe $100 or 150 on the $300 bike. Walmart might make $50 on this bike. Plus they get amazing price breaks from the manufacturer and parts suppliers. Whereas BD might pay $25 for a particular part from a supplier when they buy 500 units, Walmart can demand a price of $15 for the same part when they buy 5,000 units.

That is the HUGE difference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.