Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Durkopp 3 speed cruiser

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Durkopp 3 speed cruiser

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-10, 11:02 AM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
the guy with the bike was a real nice dude and I had the spare time last week. That said I don't wanna go back to Long Island in a car again for a while (on a bike or train, OK).

mkeller, the fenders are aluminum and I think the rims are too. A magnet won't stick to the rims...
The bike looks rough but its all cosmetic. Some pre-Drew did a real mess of a paint job on the fenders, rims and frame apparently using a roller and brush.

Rhm, thanks for all the links and pics... I'm checking into those now. As for the oil ports, they are all identical on the Front & Rear hub and the Bottom Bracket.
Old 04-12-10, 02:16 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Haha! "pre-drew", thats a good one. Has anyone guessed what the age may be?
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 04-12-10, 03:00 PM
mickey85
perpetually frazzled

Bikes: 1977 Bridgestone Kabuki Super Speed; 1979 Raleigh Professional; 1983 Raleigh Rapide mixte; 1974 Peugeot UO-8; 1993 Univega Activa Trail; 1972 Raleigh Sports; 1967 Phillips; 1981 Schwinn World Tourist; 1976 Schwinn LeTour mixte; 1964 Western Flyer

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't have a derailer - that reaction arm looks made to slide back and forth on the frame. If you ride it as-is, I'd probably put some grease on that part of the frame so that you can protect the paint a bit and keep it from scratching.
Old 04-12-10, 03:41 PM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mkeller234
Haha! "pre-drew", thats a good one. Has anyone guessed what the age may be?
Based on everything I'm reading here and elsewhere its sounding like the hub and probably the entire bike is 1951
Old 04-12-10, 04:45 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Liked 4,518 Times in 2,133 Posts
Throw a Suntour RD on it, and enjoy it as a semi-modernized 3-speed.

-Kurt

Old 04-12-10, 04:46 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,621 Times in 1,525 Posts
Kurt, then the coaster brake wouldn't work very well.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-12-10, 05:01 PM
mickey85
perpetually frazzled

Bikes: 1977 Bridgestone Kabuki Super Speed; 1979 Raleigh Professional; 1983 Raleigh Rapide mixte; 1974 Peugeot UO-8; 1993 Univega Activa Trail; 1972 Raleigh Sports; 1967 Phillips; 1981 Schwinn World Tourist; 1976 Schwinn LeTour mixte; 1964 Western Flyer

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Or...just ride it as-is and move the rear wheel if you REALLY need to.
Old 04-12-10, 05:58 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by noglider
Kurt, then the coaster brake wouldn't work very well.
Hence why it has a caliper brake up front.

-Kurt

Old 04-13-10, 05:55 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

I still wouldn't recommend any chain tensioner on a coaster brake bike. In this case, once he defeats the rear brake, he has only one brake left.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 04-13-10, 06:14 AM
mickey85
perpetually frazzled

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
And what's the point of putting a derailer on it? It's not exactly like you'd need to shift all the time, just stand up!
Old 04-13-10, 08:00 AM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Hub Closeup showing the Date and Letter Code in the pre-1958 style. Its fairly certain this is a 1951 hub.

A shot of the movable coaster brake, and some evidence on the frame that it has been moved around. Thats +1 point for no derailleur

Check out this little thing...looks to my eye like a cable guide of some sort...its brazed onto the seat lug....possibly a guide for a brake cable or a derailleur cable?

Have a look at all these holes in the rear dropout....only one is threaded for the Fender Stays...no clue what the rest are for (saving weight? )

Couple shots of the Fenders and Head/Tail lights.

Old 04-13-10, 08:00 AM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
The oil ports. I love the oil ports.

Old 04-13-10, 08:03 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Maybe there was a derailleur of the no-cable-tensioner type, and that's what the cable guide was for.

I love oil ports, too. I wish we still had them.

When I was on my three-month wandering tour of Europe, I poured oil into my Campy record hubs every so often. Eventually, it came out at the ends, dissolving the grease. I kept oiling, so no harm done.

Old 04-13-10, 08:31 AM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Its funny, just last week I saw a picture of a bike here in C&V that had a sweet oil port on the BB and I thought to myself.....self, you'd like a bike with a BB oil port because oil ports are cool.

Lo and behold the Durkopp has 3

After A bit of inspection last night, I've discovered that the original paint is still there under the crappy paint job, and you can even still see some of the box lining that used to be painted on there. The Fenders are Aluminum and still shiny under that paint, I noticed there is a remnant of a red pinstripe peeking through as well (Why in the world would anyone paint over this stuff?!?) and the rims are some kind of alloy...i managed to see some shiny and I found the outline of a panto'd logo, I just gotta remove the paint from the rim.

Am I better off to use scotchbrite pads or some other kind of abrasive or should I use a chemical to remove this paint?
Old 04-13-10, 08:34 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Liked 575 Times in 340 Posts
Those fenders with built-in lights are fabulous. And they're aluminum, painted to look like aluminum?

The many holes on the dropout are not necessarily for anything very specific. When you want to mount a fender, a chain guard, a baby seat, and who knows what else, it's nice to have options. You may find some kind of old derailleur fits one or two of those holes, which would suggest the frame was built to accommodate such a thing; but it wouldn't mean the bike ever had it.

Help me read that rear hub shell. Is this what I see:
F&S
Schweinfurt
51 M
Torpedo
System Sachs
<DR>

If so, I'd speculate that DR = Deutsche Reich, as opposed to its successor states BRD and DDR for West and East, respectively. This would suggest your hub was made on machinery that pre-dates the founding of those states (1948?). I wouldn't go so far as to say the bike (or even the hub) is quite that old; just don't know. I have a camera that a great uncle bought in Germany in 1947; it has "Made In Germany" stamped into the black leatherette case, with "US Occupied" stamped in white paint just below it. Markings like this continue into the 60's:

Made in Germany
(West)
Originally Posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
Am I better off to use scotchbrite pads or some other kind of abrasive or should I use a chemical to remove this paint?
Play that one by ear! On the fenders, I'd definitely go solvent before abrasion, but bear in mind that some solvents will attack an anodized finish (which you probably don't have, but who knows?). Also, bear in mind that a solvent may soften a paint without dissolving it; perhaps you can soften it to the point that it will peel up. I don't think it will be hard to find a solvent that softens the rattlecan and brush paint without attacking the original paint; but it may remove the pinstriping. So while you're working, keep your digital camera handy to record anything you see; you may see traces of box lining, silkscreening, etc. that vanishes before you're done.

Scotch brite? Maybe... but try old credit cards and/or sharpened pieces of wood, too (similar in hardness to finger nail, but doesn't cause genetic damage).

Last edited by rhm; 04-13-10 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-13-10, 09:09 AM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
Those fenders with built-in lights are fabulous. And they're aluminum, painted to look like aluminum?
:rolleyes: yes. Same with the rims :rolleyes: they say it takes all kinds (of idiots) to make the world go 'round. ;)

Help me read that rear hub shell. Is this what I see:
F&S
Schweinfurt
51 M
Torpedo
System Sachs
<DR>
The only thing different is it says <DP> rather than <DR>

And I'm not sure if its dirt or not, but it looks like there may be a "3" after 'System Sach'...or is it a funny looking 's'?

...have a look at the closeup, see what you think.

I doubt the bottle generator that came with it is original, but the lights are very cool.

There's also a rack and a chainguard that I neglected to snap pics of.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
F&Shub..jpg (44.1 KB, 99 views)
Old 04-13-10, 09:23 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Liked 575 Times in 340 Posts
The only thing different is it says <DP> rather than <DR>
Ah, well, in that case, never mind... just another brilliant theory destroyed by uncooperative evidence.
Old 04-13-10, 09:47 AM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I hate it when that happens. I really liked your theory.
Old 04-13-10, 12:06 PM
buck mulligan
I'm shovel-ready!

Bikes: Raleigh Sports All-Gold

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Its funny, just last week I saw a picture of a bike here in C&V that had a sweet oil port on the BB and I thought to myself.....self, you'd like a bike with a BB oil port because oil ports are cool.
My bike has a BB oil port. I think the technical term for it is a "seat tube."
Old 04-14-10, 03:30 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
I have Goof Off to remove paint splatters from my Raleigh Superbe with great success, in my case it didn't bother the box lining, but I was careful to stay away from the decals.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 04-14-10, 04:57 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Liked 2,069 Times in 1,261 Posts
This Durkopp is turning out to be one special bike...have a look at this Copake Auction.

https://tinyurl.com/y6n9h2l

Your bike is now officially hot!
Old 04-14-10, 06:15 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by clubman
This Durkopp is turning out to be one special bike...have a look at this Copake Auction.

https://tinyurl.com/y6n9h2l

Your bike is now officially hot!
Hmm - now that seems to say something about the RD system.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 04-14-10 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-14-10, 07:34 PM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
This all explains quite a bit.

I kinda had a feeling there were supposed to be wingnuts on the rear hub just like the front hub.

and this is a familiar sight,

Anybody care to take a guess at frame materials? What was the high end stuff to be making a bike out of in the early 50's?
Attached Images
4179091_2W40L6OS0..jpg (63.1 KB, 76 views)
4179091_2W40L82U3..jpg (82.2 KB, 77 views)
4179091_2W40L6406..jpg (79.0 KB, 148 views)
Old 04-14-10, 07:54 PM
Andrew F

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Be careful with the scotch brite pads. I have a Hercules of simular vintage that was rattle canned. I thought I was being careful enough but discovered that I was removing pigment from the box lining. The result is that the lines remainded but just enough that I can see to have them repainted. If I had it to do over again, I think I would have taken a gentler approach. By the way, what a cool find!
Old 04-14-10, 08:04 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Liked 2,069 Times in 1,261 Posts
German steel...pre WWII, yes? Probably very well made. It might be time to strip that puppy down for some restoration love. If the frame and fork weigh in under 5 lbs it would be fine indeed.

It may be a little difficult to find parts though...you think?

As mentioned, Made in Germany usually signifies prewar...everything after is qualified East or West, until the 90's of course.

I have some NOS vintage 5/32" headset bearings in a little tin that says Made in Germany. I'll send you as many as you need if they fit.

Last edited by clubman; 04-14-10 at 08:14 PM. Reason: had to

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.