Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Rear brake for Raleigh 20

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-05, 06:21 PM
cheg

Bikes: 2020 Thompson Randonneur, 2008 Davidson Custom Titanium, 2012 Custom Seven Steel Tandem, 1981 Shogun Touring Bike, 1974 Raleigh International

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I am running a 451 rear wheel on my R20 and the brake pads are too low on the stock stock rear brake. I some brakes that would fit but the cable leads from below on the 20 unlike most bikes where the rear brake cable leads down from the top. Does anyone know what type of brakes would fit on a 20 with a 451 rear wheel?
Old 02-06-05, 10:06 AM
james Haury

Bikes: Yeah Dahon Bike Friday Panasonic Dyno

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can you just switch the barrel adjuster around and feed the cable from the top?
Old 02-06-05, 11:37 PM
cheg

Bikes: 2020 Thompson Randonneur, 2008 Davidson Custom Titanium, 2012 Custom Seven Steel Tandem, 1981 Shogun Touring Bike, 1974 Raleigh International

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I can try switching the adjuster to the bottom on a normal reach brake so the cable can feed from below as it does now.
Old 02-07-05, 08:38 AM
james Haury

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry that was just a suggestion.I think I have even heard of people brazing on mounts for v brakes.You might wish to check Rivendell for brakes with longer reach also explore taking them off a thrift store bike if you find ones with suitable reach . I have brakes coming out of my ears but have not measured the reach.Another option would be to lower the brake bridge with an extension. This is simply a metal plate with two holes drilled in it attach one side to the current brake bridge and then attach the brake to the other end.
Old 02-07-05, 10:01 PM
cheg

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. My problem is that the stock brakes have too much reach for the wheel I'm using. Your suggestion about the brake bridge gave me an idea. This bike has a flat plate brake bridge. I might be able to fix the problem by just drilling another hole through the brake bridge higher up.
Old 02-07-05, 11:12 PM
jasong

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would using a BMX caliper style brake work, attached to the bridge?
Old 02-08-05, 08:41 AM
james Haury

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey ! why don't you measure what you need if you can figure out which brake you need I.E which dimensions and i have it I can send it I have so'oo many parts i would love to give a way.
Old 02-08-05, 10:10 PM
cheg

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by james Haury
Hey ! why don't you measure what you need if you can figure out which brake you need I.E which dimensions and i have it I can send it I have so'oo many parts i would love to give a way.
Thanks, I'll measure it next week. The bike is in Florida right now, I'm in Seattle. I've been doing so much business travel this year I have more miles on the folder than any other bike I own.
Old 02-10-05, 12:20 PM
LittlePixel
Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh Twenty Hotrod Fixie; 1984 Peugeot Premier Fixie, 2007 Merc Lightweight folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by james Haury
.I think I have even heard of people brazing on mounts for v brakes..
Hi cheq - my twenty is currently at the paintshop and has had exactly that done so that when it comes out I can run some safe deore v-brakes (no disrespect but after discs and v-brakes why would anyone want to go back to calipers?)... Getting them brazed on only cost me £15 which is probably less than $25... Obviously that's part of a whole job costing more (particle blasting, priming etc)...

If you use your twenty often I'd seriously consider it. What puzzles me is how they don't fit as the original twenty rims are about the same size as 451s aren't they? my 405s are significantly smaller.

Currently deciding whether to fit some orange dahon slelvio special edition rubber when she gets back from the shop. Would certainly look cool but maybe will lose the stealth capabilities..
Old 02-11-05, 08:03 AM
cheg

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LittlePixel
If you use your twenty often I'd seriously consider it. What puzzles me is how they don't fit as the original twenty rims are about the same size as 451s aren't they? my 405s are significantly smaller.
The Raleigh twenty was sold with both 405 and 451 rims at different times. Seems that the 451 versions are more common in the UK than in the US. Mine was built with 405's but I changed the rear wheel.

Currently deciding whether to fit some orange dahon slelvio special edition rubber when she gets back from the shop. Would certainly look cool but maybe will lose the stealth capabilities..
Visibility is a good thing. Don't forget to post some pictures when you get it built.
Old 02-11-05, 08:42 AM
brakemeister
New usename ThorUSA

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
can you mount the brake into the inside of the current position ( outside) ?
That usually takes away some room and she might just fit perfectly ...

in other words the cable enters the brake on the left, Now it would enter on the right ...

Brakemeister
Old 02-17-05, 03:16 AM
LittlePixel
Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh Twenty Hotrod Fixie; 1984 Peugeot Premier Fixie, 2007 Merc Lightweight folder

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cheg
Don't forget to post some pictures when you get it built.
Of course not - I should get the frame back today or tomorrow then there's just the small matter of getting my LBS to finish the back wheel. They've had problems getting small spokes for the SRAM hub and the bits have been there for like 2 months.... pfft.
Old 03-01-05, 04:56 AM
LittlePixel
Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
update on my twenty. Got it back with rear v-brakes and a lovely lovely paint job complete with new silver raleigh decals and a coat of laquer. All built up now too save for the rear wheel which my LBS seems incapable of lacing the SRAM 7 hub into. Then it's just getting the chain on, getting the twist grips on and I'm off down the road... Getting really impatient now...
Old 03-01-05, 09:20 AM
james Haury

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LittlePixel
update on my twenty. Got it back with rear v-brakes and a lovely lovely paint job complete with new silver raleigh decals and a coat of laquer. All built up now too save for the rear wheel which my LBS seems incapable of lacing the SRAM 7 hub into. Then it's just getting the chain on, getting the twist grips on and I'm off down the road... Getting really impatient now...
Yeah Baby Yeah!Sounds good.Post a picture when you're done with it.
Old 04-14-05, 04:08 PM
ETRTO 520
Amateur & Advocate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about a Shimano Nexave freehub with roller brake? Might be a little wide ....
Old 04-14-05, 07:33 PM
cheg

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ETRTO 520
How about a Shimano Nexave freehub with roller brake? Might be a little wide ....
Well, I want to change the brake so I can use the wheel I have, not the other way around. I already have a 406 and a 451 wheel for this bike.

As far as being too wide, nothing a little brute force wouldn't fix
Old 04-15-05, 09:39 AM
ETRTO 520
Amateur & Advocate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For day in, day out commuting and general knock around, where weight is not an issue, I really like the Shimano roller brake hubs.

The brakes are quiet, strong, water-resistant, clean, fairly theft-proof (they'd have to get your wheels) and require almost no maintenance (grease once per year). Like any hub brake, they also allow you to play mix-n'-match with various bike frame/wheel size combinations (as long as the pedals clear the pavement !). The roller brakes have not caught on much in the US but seem widely used on commuter and rental bikes in Europe & Japan.

And they are not too expensive at about $100 for a set of F & R hubs with brakes. I see them as a poor man's disc brake. Unlike disc brakes, however, they can be used on a wide range of frames (no braze-ons required). I was hoping to use a set of ISO 406 roller brake-equiped wheels on a used Dahon Boardwalk that I just purchased, but I realized after the fact that the Dahon has a narrow fork OLN dimension, so I am mulling my options.
Old 04-08-10, 03:28 AM
hartleymartin
Marty

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh Twenty (folding)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any standard BMX/MTB calliper brake should fit with the 451 rim. What you have to do is swap the barrel adjuster and the anchor bolt around, in a similar manner to most lady's step-through frame bicycles. You can route it from the top as per normal - you will just need a couple of zip-ties to hold the cable in place when it bends down to be routed through the cable holders (You could also use a 135-degree noodle meant for V-brakes)
Old 04-18-10, 10:39 AM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
You'll find some ideas here. https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...eigh-20-folder
Old 04-19-10, 04:45 AM
hartleymartin
Marty

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh Twenty (folding)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, if you got stuff on the Raleigh Twenty, please email me at raleightwenty@hotmail.com and check out my website: https://raleightwenty.webs.com