Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Best pedals for a road/touring bike are what brand ?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-02, 10:14 PM
Roadguy1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Can you tell me what are the best pedals for comfort , weight, and ease of entry and release. I had a stroke last October that disabled my right leg and arm but they are now working again but not as good as new yet. I have been riding my mountain bike which has standard pedals but I would like to ride my road bike again soon but it has clipless pedals. My pedals are Time and they are a little difficult to release sometimes. I have wondered if Speedplay might be better way to go . Your opinion would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bill S
Old 08-11-02, 11:50 AM
RainmanP
Mr. Cellophane

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are going to be touring or otherwise in a situation where you might need to walk around in your cycling shoes I would definitely consider pedals that take a small cleat along the lines of SPD so that you can use a mtb shoe which allows the cleat to be recessed. I have been using Crank Brothers Egg Beaters on all my bikes since they came out a few months ago. You can click into any of the four sides so there is absolutely no fumbling with turning the pedal over. This could be especially convenient in your case. Clipping in and out are very easy. Although I ride only road bikes, I commute 22 miles round trip to work each day. Because I have to walk a bit when I get to work, I prefer to use mtb shoes for commuting.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Raymond
Old 08-13-02, 10:36 AM
netso

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a stroke some years ago. The Speedplay pedals are great for clicking in and out. I love them.
Old 08-21-02, 02:40 PM
Slothrop
Fearmonger

Bikes: 2000 Trek 7500FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been looking at the speedway frogs, they seem niceish for your needs, but I haven't been able to try them out yet. Anyone have any opinions on them as a general tour shoe for road bikes?
Old 08-21-02, 04:30 PM
f86sabjf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HI Roadguy1

I just switched from times to eggbeaters for a weight break and found them a whole lot easier to release.They work the same way (same type cleat ) might be worth looking at

Hope this helps
Jeff
Old 08-26-02, 03:56 PM
zlj75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have used Speedplays since they first came out, on my MTB and my touring, they provide excellent release, and still transmit power to your stroke. I damaged my knee in a skiing accident and don't feel comfortable with mechanical release of most pedals, the Frogs have been great. Zach
Old 08-26-02, 05:57 PM
Goatbiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use Eggbeaters, but they may not be right for you. They are easy to "hit" with four sides, but you have no control over the force required to click in or out. My SPDs could be adjusted so very little preassure was required. The Eggbeaters sometimes require considerable preassure to click in.

Tom